Ayianna Johnson Enters the Portal

At CU, Johnson will join a completely retooled frontcourt after Aaronette Vonleh (Baylor) and Brianna McLeod (SMU) transferred and Quay Miller and Charlotte Whittaker graduated.

Along with Johnson, the Buffs have added two other transfers in the post with 6-foot-3 Jade Masogayo (Missouri State) and 6-foot-5 JoJo Nworie (Texas Tech). Incoming freshman Tabitha Betson, who is 6-2, will also compete inside.

The addition of Johnson gives CU 13 scholarship players for next season, leaving two open roster spots.

The Buffs were already up-they lost to the Hawkeyes in the sweet sixteen

Twice. 2023 and 2024.

Repeat transfer portal success:

“Given who he is, we had incredibly high expectations when Coach Prime arrived, and he has still exceeded them in every facet, including on the field, in the classroom and by generating a nationwide excitement that has made CU Boulder the epicenter of the sports world,” the university said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports.

In August, the university’s athletic department announced that a record $28 million had been given to its fundraising arm, the Buff Club, in fiscal year 2023,

Earned media impact: $249 million difference​

The massive media exposure for Colorado under “Coach Prime” is like a constantly recurring national advertisement for CU. It’s called “earned media.” It is not cash revenue, but it can have enormous value, which can lead to cash in other ways over time, including sales and donations as the university’s audience expands.

Repeat transfer portal success:

“Given who he is, we had incredibly high expectations when Coach Prime arrived, and he has still exceeded them in every facet, including on the field, in the classroom and by generating a nationwide excitement that has made CU Boulder the epicenter of the sports world,” the university said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports.

In August, the university’s athletic department announced that a record $28 million had been given to its fundraising arm, the Buff Club, in fiscal year 2023,

Earned media impact: $249 million difference​

The massive media exposure for Colorado under “Coach Prime” is like a constantly recurring national advertisement for CU. It’s called “earned media.” It is not cash revenue, but it can have enormous value, which can lead to cash in other ways over time, including sales and donations as the university’s audience expands.

I think we'll get to see if Deion's portal football experiment pans out in the next couple of years. I heard the other day that over 40% of the players who transferred in last year transferred out at year's end. That is a lot of bodies to fill and it's not like this is B-ball and we are talking 3-4 players. It's hard to maintain any continuity with those numbers. If he only wins 4-6 games this year then his chair might start to get warmer. Yes, I know enough with the football talk. I say that to say this, if success doesn't follow in the near term that extra money can dry up quickly as well.

I think we'll get to see if Deion's portal football experiment pans out in the next couple of years. I heard the other day that over 40% of the players who transferred in last year transferred out at year's end...

Were they pushed out, perhaps NIL to be used for other better players? I don't know, I don't follow Colorado carefully.

Who transferred in?

The biggest question with Colorado football is not this year but next year...what happens after the top players who are "family" move to the NFL?

Top Bottom