Zook Press Conference Notes

Iceland12

Reaction score
Not sure if this is okay or not but it's from official Illinois Website www.fightingillini.com.

Coach Zook Addresses Reporters

Coach Ron Zook and the Fighting Illini will head north this weekend to take on the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Nov. 3, 2009

Opening Statement:
"I'm happy for our fans and I'm happy for our players. I think Saturday's game gave everybody a breath of fresh air and I'm happy that our players got the opportunity to enjoy some of the benefits of the hard work that we put in. As we told them last night, with that being said, there's no rest for the weary. It's like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire because this football team we're getting ready to play has arguably one of the best players in the conference and had over 500 yards offense (last week). The quarterback threw for over 400 yards. The first play of the game was a 62-yard touchdown with the running back. It's going to be a game that our guys are going to have to be ready to go for. If you watch them play, they just seem to play better at their home environment. I'm sure the crowd will be cranked up. I'm glad it's an 11 a.m. game so they won't be able to get too cranked up. It'll take everything and all the energy that our guys have and we have to build on the things we did this past week. Injury-wise we're in good shape. Everybody but A.J. [Jenkins], Uh-Oh [Michael Hoomanawanui], and Daryle Ballew practiced yesterday. Daryle has a sprained joint. I think A.J. will go today and I think Uh-Oh has a chance of going today. Hubie [Graham] will go today. Everybody else was out there. Jarred [Fayson] was out there. Donsay [Hardeman] was out there. Health-wise we're in pretty good shape. It's going to take all of us, there's no question about that."

On how Jeff Cumberland will be used this week with the tight ends back:
"Without talking about exactly what we're going to do, I think Uh-Oh [Michael Hoomanawanui] and Hubie [Graham] are going to be back. Uh-Oh did not practice last night. They have to practice and that's something I learned early in my coaching career. It's hard to be very productive as a football player at any level if you don't practice. So he's going to need to practice. There's no one that wants to practice and no one that wants to get after it more than Uh-Oh. I feel awful for the guy. They're doing a precautionary MRI this morning - in fact it's probably over by now - just to make sure that it's what we think it is - a high ankle sprain."

On A.J. Jenkins' injury:
"A.J. had a strained knee. For A.J. to say he's going today, he's okay. He'll be okay."

On Arrelious Benn:
"The one thing about Rejus is that he's so tough. He has one speed. You really can't tell even when he is a little banged up. He was out there yesterday. Last night I couldn't tell anything. I know it bothers him. I know it hurts him. He's not the type to let on. We all saw that first touchdown (against Michigan). As I said in here to the team, I don't know if they had enough people on their sidelines to stop him. He was going in and he was going to get in. That's the Rejus that we all know and it's great to be able to see him do that."

On if Michael Hoomanawanui's injury has been there all year:
"Yes, I think it has. That's the thing about a high ankle sprain. It's like a break, it really is, and what happens is that you keep trying to nurse it along. You have a break, you put it in a cast and it takes four weeks and then you're okay. If we had done that with him, maybe he'd been alright."

On Arrelious Benn's injury:
"Regus has the same thing. His is not as bad as Uh-Oh's [Hoomanawanui]. We could have probably got him through the game on Saturday but we just felt like he needed the week off. Regus is the same thing. He got it the third play of the Missouri game and it's kind of lingered. He did play the next week, but that's kind of a tribute to his toughness also."

On London Davis getting more playing time:
"I'm happy for London. London has been getting more and more time, particularly in the special teams, which is big. Then of course he gets the touchdown. Reggie [Mitchell] was calling him Jimmy John because he made a sandwich with the ball. I'm happy to see that with London. In terms of time-wise, it depends a little bit on who's healthy and who's there."

On Corey Liuget's performance last week:
"I think Corey played well. I was happy with Corey. His leg is back and his ankle is back. That's that best game Corey has played in awhile. He has a nose for the ball. He had the fumble recovery. He was playing the way he needs to play. He's been kind of bothered by the ankle that he got in the Penn State game and hobbles some. Sometimes they look like they're loafing or they look like they're not going full speed. We can't feel the pain that they're feeling when they're pushing off of that thing."

On last night's practice being any different coming off of a win:
"I think the one thing that I wanted them to do yesterday and until we went on the field is that I wanted them to enjoy what happened. I think sometimes what happens after a win is that you put it away so early and you're on to the next game that you don't really get to enjoy it. As I said, I think this was something that we needed to do. There were no residual effects after practice and our schedule is that same. We didn't change the schedule. They kind of know the schedule and I was happy with the way we prepared."

On if it is different going to play Minnesota in a new stadium:
"Well that's hard to answer because I haven't been there and on campus. I've heard it's a beautiful stadium. Obviously it will be a nice crowd there and hopefully it will be a nice day. I've been in the Metrodome a lot of times in the National Football League and that's a loud, loud place. I know that Coach Brewster didn't like it when we played them up there a couple years ago. He didn't have a lot of nice things to say about it. We'll play where we'll play and we just have to go play."

On how Minnesota overcame their penalties last week:
"Well, they had 500 yards of offense
. I think defensively they play hard. They play aggressive. I'm serious, it looks like they play better at home. Wisconsin beat them at home. They play hard and it's one of those things."

On the new coordinators Minnesota has on both sides of the ball:
"Defensively they're a four-three and they're doing a lot of the same things. They're playing aggressive. Offensively they'll bring in the other quarterback occasionally and they'll get into some zone reads and things of that nature with the other quarterback that they bring in. They're going to be predominantly an 11 person out, which is a tight end and three wide receiver and a running back. That's their base personnel package. How can you lose your best player, and arguable the best player in the league, and still have 500 yards of offense? I think the thing is that we knew who they were going to go to in the other games. Now, you don't know where they're going. A tight end caught eight balls. (Troy Stoudermire) has really raised his game. He's a heck of a returner, particularly a kickoff returner. That's probably one of the strengths of their football team as well, is the return game and the special teams. Everybody raised their game up another notch."

On recruiting Duane Bennett:
"Yes, and I don't remember, that was three years ago. We talked a lot about it last year when he came home. He's a good back. There isn't a question. Both of them are good. The backup had over 100 yards against us last year. Bennett comes out and the first play of the game goes for 63 yards. I put the kickoff return tape on on Sunday and I'm looking and it's 14-46 in the first quarter. I went in the defense room and said what the heck happened in the first play of the game, and the coach said it was a touchdown. Very explosive."

On Juice Williams playing well against Minnesota in the past:
"I hope it will carry over from Saturday. I want it to carry over from Saturday. That's what we have to do. We have to go forward. Take the rearview mirror off and go forward. We're still out there and we have a ways to go. We have to build on Saturday."

On the players wanting to play last year's game against Minnesota over:
"There has been so many things since then. Obviously as they begin to look at the tape and bring back the memories from last year, they may feel that way. Still, it's a football game and you have to go play. There is no reloads in this game. It's one play and you have to play one play at a time. You play to the best of your ability."

On the two quarterback system being a possibility this week:
"Absolutely. As I said after the game, that was something we were going to do Saturday but just because of the situation it never panned out. I was talking to Jacob [Charest] and Jacob understood. He was just excited to win like the rest of us."

On if he thought about putting Charest in later in the game:
"Yes, but so many things can happen. It's like the blocked punt. Woody [Mike Woodford] and I are talking the next time, the next two times, about calling a timeout to see what they're going to do. When Jason [Ford] took off, I said 'Woody forget about it,' when Jason got his run. I'm looking and when you have a game plan you know how many timeouts you have and how many they have and how much time you can run off. I'm trying to figure it out and my mind's not working. I'm looking at the scoreboard. We talked about it."

On Jeff Cumberland:
"I think if you ask Jeff, at times he's probably frustrated and at times he understands that maybe some of it is his fault and some of it is opportunities. You talk a lot about how in life, whenever you get an opportunity you have to be ready to go. Jeff and I had a long talk last Sunday and I was excited about his attitude and wanting to go down and get back into that position. We talked about the whole thing from the time he came in as a tight end and why I thought he'd maybe be best suited to be a wide out. At that time he was about 220 and now he's about 250 or 255. He kind of put on a burst of weight there and I asked him why he didn't come back in and talk then. He said he didn't want to act like he was always wanting to change positions. If you get to know Jeff, he doesn't talk a whole lot. He's a pretty good kid, he really is. He works hard and he's about the team."

On getting emails about beating Michigan again this year:
"Once again, you enjoy it, enjoy it Saturday night, enjoy it Sunday, and then you get back to work. It's just kind of the way this is."

On the mentality after a win:
"This is all about Minnesota. This is going to be a big test and a big game. They have an opportunity to become bowl eligible, as did Michigan, and we're going do everything we're able to do to play the way we're capable of playing."

We'll play where we'll play and we just have to go play."

Love this quote. You're darn right you'll play where you play this week! That's the Bank baby!

Zook seems very similar to Brewster IMHO in terms of being outwardly positive, a "rah, rah" type guy, and a questionable gameday coach. The biggest difference I see is that Brewster seems a lot more determined and willing to learn and improve. He has the added edge that makes him more than a complete rah rah type coach. I hope that added edge and his willingness to change and develop as a coach gives him the ability to continue moving the program in the right direction (so that we don't end up tanking in the future like Illinois).

Alot of nagging injuries and confidence issues are at play for the Illini. They have a new confidence, we need to take that from them.
Physical play and defense will be key to this one. Outhit them, rough them up early, put up some points and we might break away. Let them hang around or get big plays and we might be in trouble.I forsee a game similar to Purdue, except with better execution on offense.
Bust them in the mouth early, let them sit on those heated benches late.

Top Bottom