Zero home court cooking, folks ...

cncmin

Reaction score
Let's see here, four away games and in each, the officials heavily favored the home team, with that home team winning 3 of those, and at least two of those home jobs arguably gave the game to the home team, taking it away from the better team.

So today, let's disregard the fact that the away team couldn't miss a shot in the second half, or that the Gophers' offense looked ragged the last 5 minutes of the game, and let's be totally honest. The Gophers got zero home-court cookin' today, folks. They did NOT get bailed out by the refs like Indiana, MSU, Purdue, and even Iowa (second half). They did NOT get either the call on Westbrook's final drive OR the over the back on the final rebound of the game. They did NOT get the ticky-tack push calls at the top of the key or when they drove that Verdell Jones got time and time again last Sunday. They did not get any of that, especially not when they needed it most - the last 10 minutes of the game when MSU kept hitting shots.

So, folks, all of you fools saying that well, we'll just get that home-cooking when we're at home, and so IT'S OK IF THE HOME TEAM GETS HOME COOKING WHEN WE'RE THERE - THAT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS. Remember this. The Big Ten must have decided hey, we have a national TV game and we have one of the big dogs coming to Williams Arena today. Let's not play favorites this time.

Now, THIS IS the way it should be - zero home cooking. We can ask, is it fair that we got no home cooking but MSU got it just two weeks ago at their place, and Purdue, Indiana, and Iowa all got it at their place? Is fairness actually fair? But remember this the next time we get majorly screwed in an away game. Remember that the Big Ten and OUR refs decided NOT to bail us out. They don't give US the game. And then tell me that I'm just being ridiculous the next time we have to play 5 vs. 8 on the road.

Losers and whiners blame the refs. We lost this game based on our play, not the refs.

Losers and whiners blame the refs. We lost this game based on our play, not the refs.

Apparently you didn't read the whole post (in which I say the refs were fair) so I'll forgive your complete ignorance.

We did get almost all the calls the first half, so I felt home cooking was there. Second half was another story. Don't blame the refs, we simply didnt execute when it mattered.

I understand the frustration with the refs on your part, but here's the thing: It was obvious we were going to lose in the final two minutes. Why? Because that's how our season has gone. Whether it was the refs, the fact that Michigan State couldn't miss a shot if they tried, or that we bogged down in the final minutes, it was completely predictable that we would lose. These guys simply don't get the job done, especially in big spots, regardless of what ultimately ends up being cited as the reason we lost the game.

The biggest frustration I have with the refs if their lack of consistency. Having said that, the day I'm relying on the refs to bail us out because we can't get it done ourselves is that day I've pretty much given up.

Westbrook did get bailed out earlier when Morgan got tagged with his 4th...very questionable call.

Pretty sad that we didn't go inside even once in the last 5 minutes. Sampson isn't the best low post player but he was pretty effective in the 1st half.

Also, the Gophers offense was better in the game in transition...by continually slowing things down, we played in their hands in my opinion. Their half court defense was phenominal in the 2nd half.

Woulda been nice to get a bail out call at the end, but Westbrook didnt even give the officials much of a chance...I woulda liked to see him pump fake to get a defender in the air and then draw the contact but he got antsy and left his feet...bad play!

We did get almost all the calls the first half, so I felt home cooking was there. Second half was another story. Don't blame the refs, we simply didnt execute when it mattered.

Please show me how many free free throws we got from any bad calls, thanks. Did you already forget how many times Verdell Jones went to the line in just the OT last game, alone?

Westbrook did get bailed out earlier when Morgan got tagged with his 4th...very questionable call.

Pretty sad that we didn't go inside even once in the last 5 minutes. Sampson isn't the best low post player but he was pretty effective in the 1st half.

Also, the Gophers offense was better in the game in transition...by continually slowing things down, we played in their hands in my opinion. Their half court defense was phenominal in the 2nd half.

Woulda been nice to get a bail out call at the end, but Westbrook didnt even give the officials much of a chance...I woulda liked to see him pump fake to get a defender in the air and then draw the contact but he got antsy and left his feet...bad play!

And Morgan got bailed out twice on no calls on over-the-back offensive rebounds, plus a ticky-tack call on a Lucas MSU layup (against Hoff). It was definitely a fairly reffed game. But that's not what we deserved, if fair is actually fair.

We did go low to Sampson later in the game and he missed two shots. Better question, why didn't Iverson play more in the 2nd half?

You're right about Westbrook, but he'd have been bailed out with a 2-shot call 70-80% of the time as a home team in a Big Ten game. The refs decided to be fair and it completely took away home court advantage.

The Gophers are a running team, and never employed a full-court trap defense, thus they didn't even play their game. It was amazing that, with the way MSU shot, that the Gophers even were in the game at all.

Finally, Joseph didn't sit the whole second half, and his fatigue may have played a part in the loss.

I understand the frustration with the refs on your part, but here's the thing: It was obvious we were going to lose in the final two minutes. Why? Because that's how our season has gone. Whether it was the refs, the fact that Michigan State couldn't miss a shot if they tried, or that we bogged down in the final minutes, it was completely predictable that we would lose. These guys simply don't get the job done, especially in big spots, regardless of what ultimately ends up being cited as the reason we lost the game.

The biggest frustration I have with the refs if their lack of consistency. Having said that, the day I'm relying on the refs to bail us out because we can't get it done ourselves is that day I've pretty much given up.

Perhaps if our school's name was Indiana...

This is the reason, as a State fan you gave the game to us

Perhaps if our school's name was Indiana...

Well, their fans did rush the court after beating us, so that should tell you something shouldn't it? ;):p

Tubby out-coached himself...definately should let the Gophers take that ball up the court aggressively without letting MSU set their defense...

I thought the refs did a very good job of calling the game. The flow and pace to the game is what any fan could hope to have. Fouls were called on both side and the free throw balance was excellent. There were non-calls both directions. More than likely at the end of a game you are not going to get a bail out call. You can't blame our collapse on the refs in this one.
I also find it sad when people complain about home cooking. It's like they're saying we can't win without it.

If there was any interruption to the flow you can point to the scoreboard malfunctioning twice.

Tubby out-coached himself...definately should let the Gophers take that ball up the court aggressively without letting MSU set their defense...

agreed! When Joseph got the rebound with about 15-20 seconds left, he initially had a break if he'd have just up and dribbled instead of waited. As soon as he waited, I turned to my wife and said well, that's game.

I thought the refs did a very good job of calling the game. The flow and pace to the game is what any fan could hope to have. Fouls were called on both side and the free throw balance was excellent. There were non-calls both directions. More than likely at the end of a game you are not going to get a bail out call. You can't blame our collapse on the refs in this one.
I also find it sad when people complain about home cooking. It's like they're saying we can't win without it.

If there was any interruption to the flow you can point to the scoreboard malfunctioning twice.

Flash, again you missed the point. THEY (four BT opponents) got it when WE were on the road. WE did not get it when THEY were on the road. So is "fair", then, actually "fair"? I would say no.

Finally, if I'm not mistaken, with about a minute left in the game we were down by 3 and DJ went in for a layup and made the shot, but I swear he got hit significantly hard going up for the shot and should have had an And-1 attempt. I haven't seen anyone say anything about that yet, so maybe he didn't actually get hit. Anyway, that could have tied the game, if indeed it was a foul; and would exemplify another no-call that, especially at home, we should have got. Somebody just correct me if that was actually no foul.

Anyway, no doubt that the way the game was being played, with MSU hitting ALL of their outside shots and the Gophers playing much more on the inside, the "letting them play" and "fair" reffing in the game favored MSU's game today.

Refs

Refs were fair but I will still bring up the refs- thats dumb Yo!

Mich St was on fire... Gophers choked the last 5 minutes .. the refs were fair but I will still whine about the refs...

One team had 12 fouls called the other 8... one team shot 7 throws an the other 9... refs let them play there was a pretty good flow.. To mention the refs in any post regarding the outcome of this weak! I know I saw two bad fouls called on Raymar Morgan. They didnt call many fouls period.... Quit blaming the refs...

and pardon me before hand if I am ignorant to.... refs... LOL

Refs were fair but I will still bring up the refs- thats dumb Yo!

Mich St was on fire... Gophers choked the last 5 minutes .. the refs were fair but I will still whine about the refs...

One team had 12 fouls called the other 8... one team shot 7 throws an the other 9... refs let them play there was a pretty good flow.. To mention the refs in any post regarding the outcome of this weak! I know I saw two bad fouls called on Raymar Morgan. They didnt call many fouls period.... Quit blaming the refs...

and pardon me before hand if I am ignorant to.... refs... LOL

First off, is English your second language or have you just not passed the fourth grade yet?

Second, if you don't get the point, and if you think anyone is actually whining about the refs in this game, then perhaps you actually haven't passed the fourth grade. I know that this board is highly intellectual and really difficult to comprehend, what with huge three-paragraph posts (mutliple sentences, scary!) and all, but omfg dude.

Ccmin

Masters kid... send me a note we can chat... you sound tough

Masters kid... send me a note we can chat... you sound tough

It's CNcmin, not Ccmin. It's MASTER'S, not MASTERS. And what the F are you talking about anyway? Who is a master's kid, and what is that supposed to mean anyway? Good job spelling "tough" correctly...maybe I was wrong about you - you're a fifth grader instead of a fourth grader.

You were the one who attacked me first...keep that in mind.

Let's see here, four away games and in each, the officials heavily favored the home team, with that home team winning 3 of those, and at least two of those home jobs arguably gave the game to the home team, taking it away from the better team.

So today, let's disregard the fact that the away team couldn't miss a shot in the second half, or that the Gophers' offense looked ragged the last 5 minutes of the game, and let's be totally honest. The Gophers got zero home-court cookin' today, folks. They did NOT get bailed out by the refs like Indiana, MSU, Purdue, and even Iowa (second half). They did NOT get either the call on Westbrook's final drive OR the over the back on the final rebound of the game. They did NOT get the ticky-tack push calls at the top of the key or when they drove that Verdell Jones got time and time again last Sunday. They did not get any of that, especially not when they needed it most - the last 10 minutes of the game when MSU kept hitting shots.

So, folks, all of you fools saying that well, we'll just get that home-cooking when we're at home, and so IT'S OK IF THE HOME TEAM GETS HOME COOKING WHEN WE'RE THERE - THAT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS. Remember this. The Big Ten must have decided hey, we have a national TV game and we have one of the big dogs coming to Williams Arena today. Let's not play favorites this time.

Now, THIS IS the way it should be - zero home cooking. We can ask, is it fair that we got no home cooking but MSU got it just two weeks ago at their place, and Purdue, Indiana, and Iowa all got it at their place? Is fairness actually fair? But remember this the next time we get majorly screwed in an away game. Remember that the Big Ten and OUR refs decided NOT to bail us out. They don't give US the game. And then tell me that I'm just being ridiculous the next time we have to play 5 vs. 8 on the road.

You are correct. I'm not sure if it was discussed between Delaney and the officials prior to the game, but they definitely made up their mind to call the game fairly. This is the first Big Ten game where the officials didn't spot the home team at least 10 points. Very odd.

The question is whether it was competent officials (unlikely), or if it was a coordinated effort for CBS. I think it's the latter since I've seen those 3 officials before and they are not good.

Gophers have no one to blame for this L but themselves.

Refs may or may not have made a difference in margin but this COULD have been 10 pt W for Minnesota.

Spartans were off their effort today and were definitely beatable.

You are correct. I'm not sure if it was discussed between Delaney and the officials prior to the game, but they definitely made up their mind to call the game fairly. This is the first Big Ten game where the officials didn't spot the home team at least 10 points. Very odd.

The question is whether it was competent officials (unlikely), or if it was a coordinated effort for CBS. I think it's the latter since I've seen those 3 officials before and they are not good.

Sparty - thanks - I assume you're an MSU fan, and if it means anything to you, behind the U and PSU (the two schools I attended), MSU is by far my third favorite basketball team, and I am a big Tom Izzo coaching fan. I did almost attend MSU for grad school too (went to PSU instead), and was there taking my visit when the Gophers beat UCLA in 1997 to go to the Final Four, where kids on the street were congratulating me and the Gophers.

I disagree that the Gophers have been the victims of home cooking in all 4 Big Ten road games. I think they got screwed at Indiana and at Purdue, but had no problem with the officiating at Michigan State or Iowa. You correctly point out that Iowa got a ton of calls in the 2nd half, but that was because they were getting blown out and the officials were trying to save them some embarrassment, no harm done.

I do agree that it would have been nice to get a little home cooking today to even out some of what the Gophers have experienced on the road. That said, the home cooking would have had to come at a very specific time in the game(the last possession) for it to have made any difference. The Gophers were going to choke this lead away regardless of whether they got 1-2 extra trips to the line in the first half or early in the second.

???

I don't think anyway here is really getting the point on this one. In East Lansing, MSU had 14 more FTA than the Gophs. And this is a team that is known for being "physical."

Cncmin is not saying that today's game was called unfairly, it WAS called fairly, and that is what makes it unfair. If MN had 14 more FTA today like MSU had on their home court, they would have easily won. And how in the world did Sparty get 2 more FTA today when they had 4 more fouls called on them?

The Rodents still had a chance to win today so I am not blaming the refs per se, I am just frustrated with the double standard.

There were a couple of pretty questionable calls but the main problem as already stated is that we didn't get the usual BT homecourt advantage. I guarantee if the game were played in Michigan and it was Lucas who did Westbrook's exact play that it would've been called a foul.

looks like some posters here did understand the point of my post. (finally?) Thanks.

Now, anyone want to discuss the final four plays in last night's Vikings/Saints game? Grrrr.

Haha, don't even get me started. Most disappointing weekend for MN sports that I can remember in a long time.

looks like some posters here did understand the point of my post. (finally?) Thanks.

Now, anyone want to discuss the final four plays in last night's Vikings/Saints game? Grrrr.

Yay Saints, go Breesus, hopefully Favre is gone forever.

Top Bottom