You really do need to trust this staff on evaluating recruits.

Reaction score
Scout has us ranked at #54
Rivals has us at #12 in the BIG based on 23 committments
*some of the players arn't ranked yet on either site.

I would imagine if this was a Brewster class the 6-guns would be blazing. By the way, I do trust this staff on evaluating.

I trust this staff to be able to evaluate guys that will fit their systems because they have been together so long. The question will be can they recruit good enough players to compete at this level, which is something we won't know for a few years.

The only thing that bugs me about these recruiting threads are the people who try to make it sound like Kill is doing something revolutionary in recruiting. Kill and his staff are working just as hard as 95% of the other staffs out there trying to find those hidden talents that might have been overlooked. What we need to hope is that they are really good at evaluating these kids so that they hit on their commitments more then they miss. Only time will tell on that front.

Scout has us ranked at #54
Rivals has us at #12 in the BIG based on 23 committments
*some of the players arn't ranked yet on either site.

I would imagine if this was a Brewster class the 6-guns would be blazing. By the way, I do trust this staff on evaluating.

A lot of teams have a few unranked players (we have 3), so saying that our rank would be a lot higher if we didn't have so many unranked players is not true. Also, our Rivals rank and Scout rank is probably going to fall, because right now we have a lot more commits than most teams, and we don't have that many scholarships left to give.

I do believe in Kill's ability to judge talent. We already have some proof:
- Foster Bush, who Kill has been highly complimentary of, only other offers were from Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, and Illinois State.
- Cockran was only 2 stars, but Kill said he was the team's best freshman.
- Marcus Jones' only other offer was from Northern Illinois (where Kill offered him).
- Rabe played well this year. His only offers were from Northern Illinois and Northern Iowa.

I agree MNVC...the question isn't if they are working hard. It all comes down to whether or not they are good at evaluating talent. Every staff in the country is working hard, looking for good players at every turn.

I've liked what i've seen so far. Jones / Rabe / Amaefula / Wells / Thompson were all late targets, and I think they will be good ball players. (Additionally, Cockran and Bush have supposedly impressed).

He's also been successful at Northern Illinois. He was able to locate talent and build those athletes into good football players. I realize it's a bit different and he'll need to bring in more talent here to be successful.

We won't be able to grade Kill's abilities as a recruiter and evaluator of talent for a couple of seasons, but so far, I feel good about our situation.

James Gillum, 3-star JUCO and Rodrick Williams Jr. 3-star HS prospect
I trust them as well, and for the skeptics, it really does not matter what anyone believes because the truth will come out on the field, which I accept completely. In the mean time, I am enjoying watching them work. I also think other staffs work really hard, I just believe these guys have made their living finding kids with more talent than their offers indicated, and there is no reason they should forget how to do it now.
What is clear to anyone who has paid attention to the recruiting of the last two staffs, is that this staff seems to do have more concrete backup plans for recruit losses than those staffs, and given our lack of talent at WR and DB, that is a big deal. When Brewster did not get his targets, they did not know where they were going next based on results.

Another factor in trusting the staff is that they're trying to work smart, they are using their contacts, and not trying to turn over every rock. Boddy, Keith, and Plsek, were referrals from coaches that thought they were being overlooked. It's those long term contacts that are making a difference.

Thanks Everybody

Great discusion on where we seem to be. I thought Bob_Loblaw, RoyalGopher, and corcoran1 all captured what people seem to be feeling now.

There also has been some concern expressed about the running backs. I am therefore curious about the H-back position and what skill set are required to perform well at that position. I know Kill uses the H-back position but I am not certain how often and exactly how it is used. I read somewhere that Plsek might be used as an H-back. Does anybody have some insight to the H-back position and Plsek playing it?

Another factor in trusting the staff is that they're trying to work smart, they are using their contacts, and not trying to turn over every rock. Boddy, Keith, and Plsek, were referrals from coaches that thought they were being overlooked. It's those long term contacts that are making a difference.

Pretty sure most staffs have coaches referring guys like the ones listed above to them. It helps those coaches when their guys go to BCS schools so they do their best to promote them as much as possible. What we will find out over the next few years is, if these guys really were great finds or if they were being overlooked for a reason.

I have said it before, the best thing this staff has going for it is the fact that they have been together for a long time so they know what kind of players they are looking for. Mason had that on the offensive side of the ball where they knew what kind of players worked in their system and they went out and found guys that were not highly recruited but could be developed into what they were looking for. Mason was never able to do the same thing on defense and Brewster was never able to settle on offense or defense so they never really had a chance to establish a type.

Kill, Claeys, and Limegrover just have to prove they can recruit the type of athletes that can make their systems work against Big Ten competition on a weekly basis. Hopefully they are able to do that.

I do believe in Kill's ability to judge talent. We already have some proof:
- Foster Bush, who Kill has been highly complimentary of, only other offers were from Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, and Illinois State.
- Cockran was only 2 stars, but Kill said he was the team's best freshman.
- Marcus Jones' only other offer was from Northern Illinois (where Kill offered him).
- Rabe played well this year. His only offers were from Northern Illinois and Northern Iowa.
Bush and Cockran aren't really proof, since they haven't even played yet. I agree that Jones and Rabe played well, however, which provides some hope.

Bush and Cockran aren't really proof, since they haven't even played yet. I agree that Jones and Rabe played well, however, which provides some hope.

You're correct that Bush and Cockran are not "proof", but Kill has spoke very highly of them.

Speaking of recruiting, I'm hoping we can land a solid JUCO DT.

Current Offers:
- Roland Johnson, 3 stars, has offers from Toledo and the Gophers.
- Kevin Forston (3 stars, no other offers)
- Toby Johnson (3 stars, no other offers)

Other Targets:
- Ken Smith who we haven't offered, but he has offers from Ohio and Marshall. Smith is 3*
- Chaquil Reed is another DT we haven't offered. He's 2 stars, but has offers from Northern Illinois, Toledo, Kansas, and Kansas State.
- Ken Bishop is 3 stars and has offers from Kansas and Northern Illinois.

Top Bottom