You are the next coach.. would you come here?

BarnBoy

Reaction score
Let's say you are a top candidate for the coaching job at Minnesota. What's your thought process?

Cons
  • Negative program inertia (50 years of bad football)
  • Non-supportive administration ($ spent on football, assistant salaries, etc)
  • Weather stigma (perception vs. reality)
  • No strong recruiting base in place (the borders have not been locked down)
  • Fan-base is largely apathetic (via Nashvlgopher)

Pros
  • A strong tradition (we do have national championships, don't ya know?)
  • A "Big 6" conference (could conceivably be a "con")
  • State-of-the-art stadium/facilities
  • Very low expectations (you could be our savior!)
  • Major metropolitan area (helps convince coach's wife and assistants?)

Up-in-the-air
  • Big Ten realignment?
  • Competition with Vikings and other dollars (been discussed here ad nauseam)
  • Too many uniform combinations - via Breakin'ThePlane :)

Agree or disagree with these?

I would add a "con" that the fan base is largely apathetic. There are die hards as with any school, but the population as a whole expects failure from this program.

Negative program inertia (50 years of bad football)

I want a coach who believes in himself. If the coach doesn't think he can win unless he is coasting, then maybe he's not right for the job.

Non-supportive administration ($ spent on football, assistant salaries, etc)

I don't think this one is real.

Weather stigma (perception vs. reality)

I expect coaches to be smart enough to realize it's not significantly different here from other northern-tier schools.

No strong recruiting base in place (the borders have not been locked down)

They get unlocked with a new coach anyway. The coach has to believe that he can recruit.

Competition with Vikings and other dollars (been discussed here ad nauseam)

I doubt that is a real concern.

Being a BCS job is a positive, it's not in any way a negative.

There will be dozens of coaches polishing their resumes in hopes of getting this job. Most of them won't be coaches we want, of course, but the job isn't as undesirable as some people think. The first-class facilities are a huge plus.

There are enough positives there to gain the eye of any top coaching candidate.
The negatives can be augmented by winning.
Coaches are always looking to make a mark, it's just an ego thing. Win here in a big time conference and you get your shot at any top job anywhere.

I don't think "competition with the Vikings" is going to be on the list for much longer.

Negative program inertia (50 years of bad football)

I want a coach who believes in himself. If the coach doesn't think he can win unless he is coasting, then maybe he's not right for the job.

Sounds like a job for Tim Brewster. Kidding, this is pretty elementary. It's great to have belief, but it will take a powerful personality to change 50 years of negative results, media coverage and public perception. Think Lou Holtz circa 1984 type hire.

Non-supportive administration ($ spent on football, assistant salaries, etc)

I don't think this one is real.

Partially disagree. There is a difference between throwing money at a problem and wanting/knowing how to solve it. There is a great disconnect between the athletic department and central administration/faculty. The University internally is every bit as political as the legislature. There are still many people who would like the school to go the University of Chicago route. They are still players in University politics with enough input to make life difficult. There is a reason we end up with Jim Wacker's and Tim Brewster's. There are reasons that central parking takes our gameday parking revenue rather than the athletic department. There are reasons the athletic department had to borrow money to buy out Coach Mason.

Weather stigma (perception vs. reality)

I expect coaches to be smart enough to realize it's not significantly different here from other northern-tier schools.

Agree 100%, this one is laughable and it always surprises me when people bring it up. I go to Detroit/Ann Arbor for work on occassion. It ain't exactly Cabo there either.

No strong recruiting base in place (the borders have not been locked down)

They get unlocked with a new coach anyway. The coach has to believe that he can recruit.

Sounds like we need Tim Brewster. Kidding again. Takes more than belief, it will take someone with a pedigree which will prove difficult to get here. I think Brew is about the worst coach 'em up coach we've had in my years. That said, he is still a decent recruiter. The fact that he has difficulty in locking down the best in-state kids, speaks volumes about the perception of our program and fanbase locally. Go to Cretin or Minnetonka, the coaches there like Brew from what I've heard, but their players view the University as choice 2 or worse. It will take a big name to move the local recruiting needle.

Competition with Vikings and other dollars (been discussed here ad nauseam)

I doubt that is a real concern.

It is real. You mention coaches have large egos. I agree. When you look at Minnesota job, a coach will know he is going to be Plan B in town short of a Rose Bowl birth. In the interim, he can expect a short honeymoon if he has some pedigree or humility (real or at least realistic appearing) followed by derision, then apathy from the local media and John Q Public. Geez, even the Twins playoff run was second fiddle to getting a 33 YO wide receiver back in town. That's one reason why this job is less appealing than an Ole Miss, Virginia or Mizzou job.

Being a BCS job is a positive, it's not in any way a negative.

Agree. There are a limited number of these jobs. That said, our job is on a par with Washington State, Baylor or Louisville.

There will be dozens of coaches polishing their resumes in hopes of getting this job. Most of them won't be coaches we want, of course, but the job isn't as undesirable as some people think. The first-class facilities are a huge plus.

True. The stadium is a huge plus. The deeper problems we have culturally at the University are a major hinderance. Within the coaching ranks, this job would certainly be considered amongst the worst 5 or so BCS school jobs and possibly a rung behind schools like Miami of Ohio and some other schools with histories of sending successful coaches to other programs. Consider, outside of Lou Holtz, who was the last Minnesota coach to land another HC gig, let alone a BCS job? Remember it took two tries to get Glen Mason because our search committee wanted him to explain why he "deserved the Minnesota job", Bob Stoops was told by Steve Spurrier to not interview here because he couldn't win here. Last time around our list of legit candidates was pretty thin, none with HC experience and that was coming off a bowl with the promise of a new stadium opening. I want to see nothing more than a winning program, but it will take a complete 180 turn from the President's office down. There is some hope, but the road is going to be long and difficult.

Hey! It's only 40 years of bad football.

All those things are pros or cons depending on each candidate. I think a young up-and-comer with head coaching experience (name your favorite) and a well-defined vision of what he wants the program to look like could succeed here and could be convinced to stay long-term. This is a great area.

Agree with vinko in that it has to be more than about energy. I was Mr. Floorburns in high school basketball and played of about 10 serious minutes in a two-year varsity career. We have to get someone who knows who he is and is confident enough to stick with his system.

There may be some things internal to the University that make the money issue relevant to the football program, but the last time I checked, Donna Shalala hardly qualifies as a rock-ribbed conservative and this whole thing about "liberal" bias within the school killing the football program is a bit on the edge. If Wisconsin can do it, so can we.

The question was about who would want to come here, not who we want. I was looking at it from the perspective of the prospective coach. They do have big egos, and I want a coach who believes he can win here. The failures of decades past are just that, the past. Unless there are current inherent negatives, that can't affect the future.

The new stadium is a huge investment, if the U were so anti-football, it wouldn't exist.

The only downside to this job relative to other similar jobs is the importance of the program in the local sports market.

Let's say you are a top candidate for the coaching job at Minnesota. What's your thought process?
Cons
  • Negative program inertia (50 years of bad football)

All programs that have fired a coach have this. Does it really matter much if it's 10 years or 50?
  • Non-supportive administration ($ spent on football, assistant salaries, etc)

I don't think this is as bad as the perception
  • Weather stigma (perception vs. reality)

MN does get dinged for this and it makes no sense. Wisconsin has almost the exact same weather. I blame Die Hard Batteries and the movie Fargo. But if the coach has any upper-Midwest ties he'll know better.
  • No strong recruiting base in place (the borders have not been locked down)

Again, most schools making a voluntary coaching change have had issues recruiting or they wouldn't be in the situation.
  • Fan-base is largely apathetic (via Nashvlgopher)

I would say the 'no-pressure' angle and this mitigate each other

Pros
  • A strong tradition (we do have national championships, don't ya know?)

No one cares. It looks nice having them listed in the stadium. That's about it.
  • A "Big 6" conference (could conceivably be a "con")

It's a Pro. Period.
  • State-of-the-art stadium/facilities

This cannot be overstated.
  • Very low expectations (you could be our savior!)

See above. Mitigated somewhat by the overall fan base apathy. But the idea to be the Frank Beamer or Barry Alvaraz of Minnesota is appealing.
  • Major metropolitan area (helps convince coach's wife and assistants?)

It doesn't hurt.

Good List. See above.

Up-in-the-air
  • Big Ten realignment?

If they intend to be here awhile I don't think it's positive or negative. It will be tougher then the East the first 5 years.
  • Competition with Vikings and other dollars (been discussed here ad nauseam)

This is only an issue in the minds of a small minority. It has it's postives and negatives. To the poster above who mentioned UVa for example, if you don't think they compete with the Redskins, you're wrong.
  • Too many uniform combinations - via Breakin'ThePlane :)

Agree or disagree with these?

I would add a "con" that the fan base is largely apathetic. There are die hards as with any school, but the population as a whole expects failure from this program.

This is true. However, I really believe that Minnesotans are Gopher fans and are dying to turn out to support a good football team as soon as it happens. There have been two times in the past 25 years in which we appeared to be on the verge or something special (OSU with Holtz and Michigan in 2003). Losses in those games were a signal to Minnesotans that we weren't there yet, so they went back to raking leaves on Saturdays. But there was genuine excitement, and it really didn't take too much. A successful coach could become a god very quickly here.

This is true. However, I really believe that Minnesotans are Gopher fans and are dying to turn out to support a good football team as soon as it happens. There have been two times in the past 25 years in which we appeared to be on the verge or something special (OSU with Holtz and Michigan in 2003). Losses in those games were a signal to Minnesotans that we weren't there yet, so they went back to raking leaves on Saturdays. But there was genuine excitement, and it really didn't take too much. A successful coach could become a god very quickly here.

The same thing used to be true in Boston, where fans always thought that somehow the Celtics would win despite the odds against them and that the Red Sox would lose despite the odds in their favor. Red Sox have turned that around quite nicely (helps to have deep pockets in the pros) and the same thing could happen here with the Gophers. It just doesn't happen by accident.

The new stadium is a huge investment, if the U were so anti-football, it wouldn't exist.

Somewhat true. It's one of the weird complexities we face at Minnesota and part of the give and take of University politics. The stadium is a great first step, the largest immediate hurdle and the largest in terms of dollar investment. It got done, grudgingly by the legislature by an invigorated Dr. Bruininks and AD Maturi with a major push from Glen Mason. It took an excellent effort on their part to generate the donations and political support needed to make that happen. Kudos to them for it. That said, the commitment came from a relatively small number of boosters, the state legislature and a united Senior Management team. It was a job well done and a major win on the greatest piece of the puzzle. The problem is this: building a stadium is not the end of the job. It is one step in the process, and one that was done largely outside the University bureaucracy. Now the process has to be driven internally. Its not unlike working with an outside management firm to change your business model. It is a great investment, but if at the end of the day you don't have buy in or the stomach to kick some people out the door, its largely an exercise in futility, done at great cost to the firm. Within the University structure, there is enough longstanding opposition to athletics that allow for the death by a thousand cuts syndrome. At my shop we call it the "Go Slow". Regardless of the terminology, its the reason why Parking and Transportation Services won the battle to keep gameday parking revenue over the athletic department, its the reason why a Coach like Tubby Smith is fighting tooth and nail for a practice facility the athletic department desparately wants to build, its the reason the football parking lots are being redeveloped into the bio-district despite other open pieces of land the University owns, its the reason we did a telethon at MOA to save programs, its the reason we fund Women's Rowing before building a baseball field, its the reason the athletic department had to take out a loan to fire Glen Mason. When you have a committed group of opponents with just enough leverage to win a few battles that hamper your best efforts and goals from being achieved, you need a strong leader who will beat them down or push them out the door, or run the risk of failure despite the very best of efforts. We have yet to see that from our top management. I am hopeful we will see that from the next team. Unless you've been part of the University professionally or know people within it its hard to understand or explain, because frankly it is a very strange dynamic. End point- building the stadium and getting the funding was the easy part compared to making a long term on-going commitment. It can and should happen, but whether it does is TBD.

I do agree with this, Minnesotans want to embrace this team. The challenge is that after 50 years of bad results, broken hearts and negative press, I think it will take a Rose Bowl/Conference Title to do. I don't think a NYD Cap One bowl gets it done. When it happens, and I am convinced we will win a Big Ten title someday, this state will go nuts.

Somewhat true. It's one of the weird complexities we face at Minnesota and part of the give and take of University politics. The stadium is a great first step, the largest immediate hurdle and the largest in terms of dollar investment. It got done, grudgingly by the legislature by an invigorated Dr. Bruininks and AD Maturi with a major push from Glen Mason. It took an excellent effort on their part to generate the donations and political support needed to make that happen. Kudos to them for it. That said, the commitment came from a relatively small number of boosters, the state legislature and a united Senior Management team. It was a job well done and a major win on the greatest piece of the puzzle. The problem is this: building a stadium is not the end of the job. It is one step in the process, and one that was done largely outside the University bureaucracy. Now the process has to be driven internally. Its not unlike working with an outside management firm to change your business model. It is a great investment, but if at the end of the day you don't have buy in or the stomach to kick some people out the door, its largely an exercise in futility, done at great cost to the firm. Within the University structure, there is enough longstanding opposition to athletics that allow for the death by a thousand cuts syndrome. At my shop we call it the "Go Slow". Regardless of the terminology, its the reason why Parking and Transportation Services won the battle to keep gameday parking revenue over the athletic department, its the reason why a Coach like Tubby Smith is fighting tooth and nail for a practice facility the athletic department desparately wants to build, its the reason the football parking lots are being redeveloped into the bio-district despite other open pieces of land the University owns, its the reason we did a telethon at MOA to save programs, its the reason we fund Women's Rowing before building a baseball field, its the reason the athletic department had to take out a loan to fire Glen Mason. When you have a committed group of opponents with just enough leverage to win a few battles that hamper your best efforts and goals from being achieved, you need a strong leader who will beat them down or push them out the door, or run the risk of failure despite the very best of efforts. We have yet to see that from our top management. I am hopeful we will see that from the next team. Unless you've been part of the University professionally or know people within it its hard to understand or explain, because frankly it is a very strange dynamic. End point- building the stadium and getting the funding was the easy part compared to making a long term on-going commitment. It can and should happen, but whether it does is TBD.

Good points. I would add from the standpoint of the Legislature that the Gophers can put the Twins and the Hennipen County Board high on the thank-you list for TCF as well. While they may or may not have gotten it eventually, the reality is that once it became clear that the Twins stadium was going to be pushed through, the Gophers were assured of passage as well. No politican was going to vote 'No' on the Gophers and 'Yes' on the Twins. If the Twins were getting theirs, the Gophers were going first.

Well, I would, assuming you could get enough money to hire decent assistants. I would also require a meeting with the university president to investigate his perception of the importance of college football to the university at large. Assuming the president had a reasonable attitude, I'd take the job because:

1) TCF is a beautiful stadium in a nice setting.
2) The Twin Cities are a "livable" northern location, with lots going on.
3) Big Life, Big Stage, Big 10. It matters.
4) The up side of turning the program around is HUGE. You would be bigger than Bud Grant. Heck, you could be Governor (we know those standards aren't high).
5) If you come in with a solid plan and reasonable expectations, people will give you time, assuming you hit the intervening milestones.

If I were the AD, I'd try for someone from the Bob Devaney coaching tree - someone who values stability and a solid foundation, not smoke and mirrors. I'd go around to all the dorms (now that there are dorms) and alumni clubs and speak to those folks and say you need their support and that the turnaround won't be easy or quick, but it would be worth it. I'd give a financial break to season ticket holders for the next three years based on years of holding tickets. I'd give new grads a graduated ticket price for the first five years out of school. And I'd get that university president at the games. (I can't tell you how cool it was to see Biddy Martin, the UW Chancellor, roaming up and down the sidelines at Camp Randall following the play.) Academics and athletics are not mutually exclusive.

The responsibility for creating "upside" rests entirely with the administration. The UofM SHOULD be a top tier football school. (again) The U just has to show commitment to creating and supporting a successful program for the long term, and retaining successful coaches until they get grey and senile. They can start by cleaning house this December. (sorry Brew, but putting up with this record just sends all the wrong messages) However, I fear they will just slap on another band-aid and let the coaching carousel continue....

The biggest negative of the Gopher job is that Maturi will suspend your two best power forwards....one of which was never convicted of anything.............................errrr. wrong board.

Top Bottom