Yes! Our Nightmare is Over!

husker70

Reaction score
This from the Star Tribune's latest story on Gophers moving to KFAN, KTALK, KSTP.

"The contract calls for Learfield to produce the broadcasts, including hiring the announcers. Dave Lee, who also hosts a WCCO show, will no longer do play-by-play for Gopher games." :clap::clap:

Thank you Mr. Gerlach, and Mr. Maturi.

Makes no difference outside of the cities nobody will be able to hear the broadcasts.

Makes no difference outside of the cities nobody will be able to hear the broadcasts.

Bulls--t

There is a Gopher sports network, which covers the whole state.

Also, football will be on 100.3 FM which has a great signal.

Bulls--t

There is a Gopher sports network, which covers the whole state.

Also, football will be on 100.3 FM which has a great signal.

The Gophers network works during daylight hours, whe the small town AM's power down at sunset you could only count on 'CCO. We are Minnesota's team and this move is a mixed blessing. Downside is it will be hard to hear in some areas after sundown. UPSIDE IS NO DAVE LEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I listen to the Gophers on 106.5 FM out of Ada, when they aren't preempted by the farm report or high school sports. :)

I remember getting the Twins @ Oakland on WCCO one late night years ago while driving through the wilderness 500 miles northwest of Winnipeg on the way to our annual Cranberry Portage fishing trip. What a felling that was!

I get 1500 pretty clear in my car in Winnipeg. I get KFAN very clear out of Fargo- whether they will broadcast the Gophers games or not, i don't know. KFAN from Minneapolis I cannot get at all.

WCCO is really weak in Winnipeg and a little better outside the city.

Please explain.

Somehow, the Vikings aren't on WCCO and people are able to get their games on the radio.

Do they still not have the internet in rural Minnesota?

If all of these Iowa fans have it, surely you must as well!

Gophers Sports Network will get stronger.

I will tell you many smaller station wouldnt pick up the Gophers in past years because so many people could tune them in on WCCO. It was why add the Gophers when listeners will just listen to the games on WCCO anyway. With that no longer being an option you will see the GSN grow and expand to new stations that didnt pick them up because WCCO's signal strength was so strong.

simple am vs fm physics

fm with curve of earth is limited to 60-100 miles even if megapowered

am at night if high powered can do a bank shot off of atmosphere- this is how you get am stations at nite from Missouri, Texas etc- but the FTC only authorizes a few "superstations", all the other AM stations at night power down- their daylight range may be 50 miles but go down to 20-30 at night.

With KFAN and others not being authorized megastations, they won't go (reliably) 200-300 miles after sundown as opposed to WCCO or KMOX do

so you can listen to a Cardinals or Tigers game at night occasionally and not get the Twins without the mighty CCO

Do they still not have the internet in rural Minnesota?

If all of these Iowa fans have it, surely you must as well!

The internet is great for the tuned in Gopher fan. However, a lack of radio signal will eliminate the casual listener who happens to stumble on to the game while surfing the channels. What about all the elderly and long time Gopher fans/listeners with radio constantly tuned to WCCO who don't subscribe to tech services?

If the sole purpose Maturi eliminated WCCO was due to the lack of a qualified announcer, he may have stubbed his toe big time. The purpose of the move is to increase ratings and exposure. We shall see.

I live in Minneapolis, about a 10 minute walk from downtown. I have trouble getting 1500 most days; I have to play around quite a bit. It's also very hit or miss in the car. I absolutely hate that because that is how I listen to Twins games. My dad has a similar problem in NE Minneapolis...for 1500 he has to put the radio in certain places to get a clear reception.

KFAN works fine.

I guess I am dissapointed if they use 1500, but 100.3 would be nice.

Are we going to get a reliable signal for Gopher Hockey?

Regarding 'just listen on the internet' cop-out: First, if you're in front a computer you probably have access to a televison, so why would you? Second, even if the 'listen on your smart-phone' was simply, it is unlikely that KFAN/KSTP will be allowed to stream the games online. WCCO can't currently and I dont know why this would change. The only way to listen online is to pay for a 'Goldzone' membership on gophersports.com that costs $10/month and as far as I know doesn't work well/ata all on smart phones.

What the decison tell me is that CBS radio, yes New York City did not have any interest in continuing the relationship. WCCO signal is a factor, only if you have programing. WCCO has not had control of ratings for at least 15 years. But you have to ask yourself, with a 50,000 Watt station and no one listens does it actually exist? Learfield on the national level was embarassed by the broadcast, questioned what was going on.

The ratings and that translates to ad revenue was declining. Maturi and Gerlach were aware, but denied it could be Dave. They orchestarated a Sportscaster of The Year to cover the wart. When the data came back on the opening game at TCF which Ray called a series was dramatic. It showed what it could be, but they did nothing. I think two things toppled Dave and WCCO. First, an agressive bid by a locally owned station for the winter sports and a National Network for Football. That and advertisers who are some of the most loyal Gopher supporters. I am talking about Federated Insurance, Washburn-McCreavy, Kemps, TCF. There had to be some sense they were not getting a proper bang for their buck. They were loyal to the U and Learfield, not WCCO. Certainly, a nod from them and it was a done deal. Dave's connections to WCCO advertisers like The Cabinet Store, et al could not save him.

For those of you who question a funeral home advertising Gopher games. They are alumns of the U. We could use more alumns advertising on the Gopher games.

simple am vs fm physics

fm with curve of earth is limited to 60-100 miles even if megapowered

am at night if high powered can do a bank shot off of atmosphere- this is how you get am stations at nite from Missouri, Texas etc- but the FTC only authorizes a few "superstations", all the other AM stations at night power down- their daylight range may be 50 miles but go down to 20-30 at night.

With KFAN and others not being authorized megastations, they won't go (reliably) 200-300 miles after sundown as opposed to WCCO or KMOX do

so you can listen to a Cardinals or Tigers game at night occasionally and not get the Twins without the mighty CCO

I get that.....my point is that if one is not able to get Gopher sports on the radio, it has less to do with it not being on WCCO and more to do with that individual not searching hard enough.

My point was that Vikings games aren't on WCCO, yet the entire state is able to listen in on them.

We have one thread on this we need another, why? Lock it up.

They will add more stations. This is great for local stations. There are 40 stations that carry Gophers football as it is. The range of WCCO discourages even more stations from carrying Gopher games, as people will just listen on WCCO.

Regarding 'just listen on the internet' cop-out: First, if you're in front a computer you probably have access to a televison, so why would you? Second, even if the 'listen on your smart-phone' was simply, it is unlikely that KFAN/KSTP will be allowed to stream the games online. WCCO can't currently and I dont know why this would change. The only way to listen online is to pay for a 'Goldzone' membership on gophersports.com that costs $10/month and as far as I know doesn't work well/ata all on smart phones.

iheartradio. It's an app for smart-phones that basically turns your phone into a radio. Only, it comes in clear like an FM station instead of an AM station.

I will tell you many smaller station wouldnt pick up the Gophers in past years because so many people could tune them in on WCCO. It was why add the Gophers when listeners will just listen to the games on WCCO anyway. With that no longer being an option you will see the GSN grow and expand to new stations that didnt pick them up because WCCO's signal strength was so strong.

This is my thinking too.

We have one thread on this we need another, why? Lock it up.

Only one other thread? We should have 100 threads on the dismissal of Dave Lee.

I think we should lock you up! Whadya think of that? :eek:

I remember getting the Twins @ Oakland on WCCO one late night years ago while driving through the wilderness 500 miles northwest of Winnipeg on the way to our annual Cranberry Portage fishing trip. What a felling that was!

Several years ago when the Gophers played at Colorado State we drove through Wyoming after the game on our way home. It was so dark and remote and NOTHING came in on the radio until I hit my 830 preset. WCCO came in crystal clear the entire night through Wyoming and South Dakota. I think I know the feeling you had that night.

try XM196 on XM radio (Big 10 network), comes in great nearly anywhere

What the decison tell me is that CBS radio, yes New York City did not have any interest in continuing the relationship. WCCO signal is a factor, only if you have programing. WCCO has not had control of ratings for at least 15 years. But you have to ask yourself, with a 50,000 Watt station and no one listens does it actually exist? Learfield on the national level was embarassed by the broadcast, questioned what was going on.

The ratings and that translates to ad revenue was declining. Maturi and Gerlach were aware, but denied it could be Dave. They orchestarated a Sportscaster of The Year to cover the wart. When the data came back on the opening game at TCF which Ray called a series was dramatic. It showed what it could be, but they did nothing. I think two things toppled Dave and WCCO. First, an agressive bid by a locally owned station for the winter sports and a National Network for Football. That and advertisers who are some of the most loyal Gopher supporters. I am talking about Federated Insurance, Washburn-McCreavy, Kemps, TCF. There had to be some sense they were not getting a proper bang for their buck. They were loyal to the U and Learfield, not WCCO. Certainly, a nod from them and it was a done deal. Dave's connections to WCCO advertisers like The Cabinet Store, et al could not save him.

For those of you who question a funeral home advertising Gopher games. They are alumns of the U. We could use more alumns advertising on the Gopher games.

Great post and I think it sums everything up quite well. The KFAN advertising staff is probably going nuts on the phone right now trying to shore up the long-time supporters and I'd guess they'll be mostly successful.

Having grown up when everything sports-related was on WCCO (and I listened to my rock-and-roll on WDGY--KFAN's previous call letters--during the daylight hours), it's been sad to watch the demise of the neighbor and it's been a descent of epic proportions. I don't know what CBS Radio is thinking, but they are surely misusing a powerful broadcasting resource.

It will be interesting to see how KFAN puts together its Gopher broadcast team. This has really got to tick off Eric Nelson who did the Gopher post-game show on WCCO to an extreme degree, as he was let go by KFAN years ago after a relatively short stint and, if I am recalling correctly, ripped them with relish as he went out the door.

This should be a bonanza for smaller stations wanting to get on the Gopher radio network. As RodentRampage pointed out, a lot of small rural area stations opted out of the chance to compete with WCCO because it would have been a losing proposition. Now, a lot of these stations will join the new network because the KFAN signal won't reach their territory. These stations will be able to sell a lot of local advertising to augment the major sponsors. I expect that places like "Bob's Seed & Feed" and the "ACME Cattle Breeders" to find their way onto the local advertising part of the bill.

This could be the greatest thing that has happened to the Gophers off the field in decades or it could be a monumental bust. I'm inclined to believe it will be the former, but the trick will be to maintain loyalty among the older Gopher fans with stability while building up the younger fan base with a little more marketing excitement. It's going to be a challenge, but I think it's a necessary step.

Having grown up when everything sports-related was on WCCO (and I listened to my rock-and-roll on WDGY--KFAN's previous call letters--during the daylight hours), it's been sad to watch the demise of the neighbor and it's been a descent of epic proportions. I don't know what CBS Radio is thinking, but they are surely misusing a powerful broadcasting resource.

This should be a bonanza for smaller stations wanting to get on the Gopher radio network. As RodentRampage pointed out, a lot of small rural area stations opted out of the chance to compete with WCCO because it would have been a losing proposition. Now, a lot of these stations will join the new network because the KFAN signal won't reach their territory. These stations will be able to sell a lot of local advertising to augment the major sponsors. I expect that places like "Bob's Seed & Feed" and the "ACME Cattle Breeders" to find their way onto the local advertising part of the bill.
QUOTE]

The demise of wcco is very sad indeed, at least to us older folks. For many many years cco had a listening audience of over 50% of all mn radio stations. Another case of non local ownership?

Here is a link for arbitron ratings history for those that are interested, starting in 1968. BTW our rock and roll station out here was kdwb 630-aka channel 63, that's easy to remember.

http://redandnater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=70806&start=0

As far as your second paragraph here, from what I have heard this is the real key. Smaller local stations can now carry the game and not have to compete with cco signal. This apparantly was a key issue between Learfield and cco.

Having both of the 'all sports' stations carrying Gopher sports should yield better Gopher talk to the sporting public. At least that is the hope. The public doesn't know the financial proposals.

They will add more stations. This is great for local stations. There are 40 stations that carry Gophers football as it is. The range of WCCO discourages even more stations from carrying Gopher games, as people will just listen on WCCO.

By my quick count of Minnesota radio stations outside the Twin Cities metro area I find 200 FM and 85 AM stations not connected to the numerous colleges and universities around the state. It appears there are plenty of potential stations available to fill in any gaps in the statewide Gopher Network.

Top Bottom