Years later, former Gophers quarterback Bryan Cupito is still enjoying Minneapolis life as a dad

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Pat:

Mason has remained a Minnesotan since that firing. We talked about Cupito for a few minutes last week, but first the Gophers coach from 1997 to 2006 lamented what is becoming of big-time college football — the dissolution of tradition in conferences, the transfer portal and the wild, wild arrival of pay-for-play started by Name, Image and Likeness.

"We wanted our guys to come in and have the great experience of going to college," Mason said. "Those should be the best years of your life. Get an education, meet people, play football. And then, if you're great, you go to the NFL, and the other 98 percent take advantage of the degree, and value the people they have met.

"Bryan waited two years, and then was a very good quarterback for us. And now he's out there in the world, a dad, and doing good things in the city where he played."

Which doesn't mean the generations of an Italian family in Cincinnati are forgotten, and more that Bryan greatly misses about his hometown.

"Skyline Chili … I love that stuff," Cupito said. "I got my kids indoctrinated. They love it. But not Carly. She thinks it's terrible."

Even on Father's Day for a Minnesota girl, chili with noodles is not an option.

Go Gophers!!

I have a lot of memories of Cupito dropping dime play action passes thanks to the Barber/Maroney show. Statistically successful or not, we've had some gamers/competitors at qb over the years who are hard working, super likeable human beings.

Some really good QB play during those Mason years. Cupito might have been the best all-around? Although Asad Abdul-Qhaliq had some great moments too

Maybe Pat will write a feel good piece about a current Gopher team/coach/player someday.

This seemed out of character for him.

Top Bottom