Yahoos Wetzel: Not particularly sure what PJ Fleck is thinking but what a hire by MN

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

That tweet hits the nail on the head. Kinda of funny if not sad at the same time.

I think maybe Coyle is not as bad as he has made himself out to be during this scandal but he needs to do some serious relationship building with the football players and public in general. As critical as I have been about Coyle throughout this mess, it is very hard to criticize him for making this splash of a hire and doing it so quickly.

That tweet hits the nail on the head. Kinda of funny if not sad at the same time.

I think maybe Coyle is not as bad as he has made himself out to be during this scandal but he needs to do some serious relationship building with the football players and public in general. As critical as I have been about Coyle throughout this mess, it is very hard to criticize him for making this splash of a hire and doing it so quickly.

Money talks.

He sort of answers his own question. (1) great city, (2) great stadium (with facilities on the way). As much as it's a good hire for the U, it's also a shoot for the stars oppo for Fleck - he'll have better support to recruit and succeed than any coach in our recent history. It's got win-win written all over it.

He sort of answers his own question. (1) great city, (2) great stadium (with facilities on the way). As much as it's a good hire for the U, it's also a shoot for the stars oppo for Fleck - he'll have better support to recruit and succeed than any coach in our recent history. It's got win-win written all over it.

Plus it isn't like he's rebuilding from the bottom. This isn't a 2-3 win team he's inheriting. It's a chance to take over a 9 win Big Ten program that plays in a very winnable division.

Plus it isn't like he's rebuilding from the bottom. This isn't a 2-3 win team he's inheriting. It's a chance to take over a 9 win Big Ten program that plays in a very winnable division.

Also despite being a hot prospect, Texas wasn't hiring him, not LSU either.... that rarely happens.

I agree - but Yahoo Dude only had 140 characters to contradict himself.

This is a key point. Rarely do Coaches get to walk into a situation with a solid foundation underneath it as typically they are picking up the pieces from a disaster the year before. Fleck with have his challenges with the suspensions and public perception issues but there is a solid foundation there to work with and build on.

This is a key point. Rarely do Coaches get to walk into a situation with a solid foundation underneath it as typically they are picking up the pieces from a disaster the year before. Fleck with have his challenges with the suspensions and public perception issues but there is a solid foundation there to work with and build on.

Yup.

Also despite being a hot prospect, Texas wasn't hiring him, not LSU either.... that rarely happens.

That's not a knock though, Texas wanted the Houston guy all along and LSU hired a popular coordinator from within.

I believe this as well. There is definitely some damage control that needs to be done, but considering Coyle was thought by many to be a "homerun hire" about 6 months ago, being able to execute the hiring of a higher profile guy to this job should ease some of the early concerns for anyone with rational tendencies. Like many, I don't feel great about how the Claeys thing went down, but Coyle's boldness will probably expand the vision here beyond what the base envisioned under Claeys.

That's not a knock though, Texas wanted the Houston guy all along and LSU hired a popular coordinator from within.

I'm not knocking him either.

Rarely do you see a MAC to tip top tier school hire. So either way whatever the guy tweeting was thinking .... you take the job.

And MN, not the garbage dump it was in the past, far from it thanks to Kill & Co + facilities.

Top Bottom