Yahoo Sports: With the future of college sports uncertain, one thing is clear: An official and permanent split of NCAA Division I is here

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Yahoo Sports:

Inside the beachside Ritz-Carlton resort along Florida’s southwestern coast, leaders of college athletics met in a second-floor conference room to discuss particulars about the industry’s future.

Those in the room were limited to five men: NCAA president Charlie Baker and commissioners from the SEC, ACC, Big 12 and Big Ten.

Not in the room: the other 28 Division I commissioners who milled about on the first floor of the resort wondering the whereabouts of the other four.

“I didn’t even know they were meeting,” said one.

“Of course,” whispered another, “they are cutting us out of it.”

Minutes later, the five men came hustling down the main stairwell to begin what was the final chapter in four days of administrative meetings here: Baker appearing before all 32 commissioners for a robust discussion about the future of the NCAA’s top division.

As evident from their separate meeting, NCAA Division I has never been more fractured, fragile and frustrated. The split between the haves and have-nots in college athletics is becoming more real than ever, in fact.

Unveiled during this week’s meetings of conference commissioners was none other than a new governance model for Division I. Stemming from the NCAA’s landmark antitrust settlement, the model further separates the four power leagues from the 28 lower-resourced conferences in a more formal break.

Though still in the process of development, the governance framework can simply be summed up in five words, says one FCS league commissioner: “Let the big dogs eat.”

Go Gophers!!

They should be sued for fraud, misuse of funds, conspiracy, and a bunch of other things.

They're running a scam. They're running a professional league and lying about it...saying that it's college students. They should be forced to give up the names, images, and likenesses of the schools.

They should be sued for fraud, misuse of funds, conspiracy, and a bunch of other things.

They're running a scam. They're running a professional league and lying about it...saying that it's college students. They should be forced to give up the names, images, and likenesses of the schools.
You should file your lawsuit.... Or move on...

If we could afford two big money basketball players next year that would be progress.
We are in the Big Ten so we should be a BIG Dawg but there are 18 schools now...somehow seems like we may get table scraps while the mid majors starve. Dunno...

It’s not like they are doing anything wrong…

My goodness, give it a rest.1000003341.jpg

It’s not like they are doing anything wrong…
Their side can argue that they're not doing anything wrong.

My side will argue and present evidence that they're turning 'college' basketball into an absolute joke.

Let an unbiased jury decide.

You could say that everything in here is a broken record. Tell us a new interesting topic to talk about.
Pilgrim, you have no followers, no listeners. You are bellowing at the moon. Follow through on your suggestion to spend your time in a more productive way somewhere else. It is exhausting for everybody to listen to you repeat yourself. Best of luck in a new endeavor.
Deliver pizzas.
Start a podcast or youtube channel and grow your audience.
Sell something on Etsy.
Read a book a day.
Whatever you enjoy or just search for something new, but give this up, please.
Thanks, man. Best of luck.

Pilgrim, you have no followers, no listeners. You are bellowing at the moon. Follow through on your suggestion to spend your time in a more productive way somewhere else. It is exhausting for everybody to listen to you repeat yourself. Best of luck in a new endeavor.
Deliver pizzas.
Start a podcast or youtube channel and grow your audience.
Sell something on Etsy.
Read a book a day.
Whatever you enjoy or just search for something new, but give this up, please.
Thanks, man. Best of luck.
This is a GOPHERS board though.

Sure, you can have buddies and enjoy Kansas, Duke, & UConn. Love the NCAA Tournament. Agree with the new rules that make it even worse for the Gophers. Etc.

But I think there's room for actual Gophers fans...who don't enjoy watching other teams. Who want different rules & formats so we don't do even worse than our current 2 NCAA wins in 27 years. Etc.

My side will argue and present evidence that they're turning 'college' basketball into an absolute joke.

There is a big difference between doing something wrong and doing something you do not like or support.

I know you are pissed that Ben put together a potentially decent team and most of the talent decided to leave, and I am sorry for that. I also know you need someone to blame, and its not the coach, so thats ok too.

There is a big difference between doing something wrong and doing something you do not like or support.

I know you are pissed that Ben put together a potentially decent team and most of the talent decided to leave, and I am sorry for that. I also know you need someone to blame, and its not the coach, so thats ok too.
The question becomes: Can schools legally do whatever they want and advertise that it's their students?

For example: Could the University of Minnesota advertise "Come see the University of Minnesota Orchestra at the St. Paul Pavilion. Support our local school and students."...when it's actually a paid orchestra from another state?

The question becomes: Can schools legally do whatever they want and advertise that it's their students?

For example: Could the University of Minnesota advertise "Come see the University of Minnesota Orchestra at the St. Paul Pavilion. Support our local school and students."...when it's actually a paid orchestra from another state?
Is the orchestra enrolled at the University of Minnesota? If so, then I'd say absolutely.

Why not babble more about California. You talk about California more than a Red Hot Chili Peppers record.

Is the orchestra enrolled at the University of Minnesota? If so, then I'd say absolutely.
It would be okay & legal, hold up in court...to pay them big money to enroll at the U...play the concerts, claiming it's students...and then right after the concerts they leave the state...?

It would be okay & legal, hold up in court...to pay them big money to enroll at the U...play the concerts, claiming it's students...and then right after the concerts they leave the state...?
I don't see why that wouldn't be legal and hold up in court. They wouldn't have to claim they're students if they were enrolled because they would be students. It would be a statement of fact. But I'm not a lawyer ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Top Bottom