WOW...SEC Admits Refs Were Wrong

there are always bad calls made by refs, though it is unfortunate when they have such repercussions as this. one that comes to mind from the psu game was the phantom pass interference on theret when the WR tripped on his own feet in the fourth quarter. that was pretty awful.

Just ask Sid Hartman about a pass interference call in '06 against PSU!

Ah...Maroon and Golden memories

Ha, that pass interference call in the PSU 06 game was the first thing that came to my mind. That is a tough memory to purge.

The other call of course was the TD against Purdue in overtime where the gopher was called out when he obviously got both feet down. The refs blamed our funky paint in the end zone for confusing them. I think that replay that showed he was so obviously in was the last controversial replay ever shown in the dome. It seems like they never show any controversial replays at the game anymore. Everyone at home is seeing the replay, why not the fans at the game?

Did the Big Ten ever comment about the Penn St. "TD" Saturday at the end of the 1st half?

Wasn't there another pass interference at Penn State many years ago that was either called/not called and Paterno came into our locker room and apologized and said we deserved to win?

That Penn State call in 06 is the worst call I've ever seen because it literally decided the game and he let Joe Pa yell in his ear for a few seconds then reached for the flag. At least in most other instances (such as with Arkansas) you have a chance to 'overcome' the horrible call. In the Penn State game he was literally deciding who won when he reached for that flag. Horrible.

Wasn't there another pass interference at Penn State many years ago that was either called/not called and Paterno came into our locker room and apologized and said we deserved to win?

Yes, in the 1997 16-15 loss to PSU. My memory is a bit sketchy, but if I remember right, we were leading 15-3 in the 4th quarter with about 9-10 minutes to play. PSU was in long FG range and had a 3rd and long. They threw a pass to Curtis Enis which was way over his head and out of bounds and they called pass interference, giving them a first down. Even if you didn't call the ball uncatchable, replays clearly showed that there was no contact at all until after Enis was completely out of bounds. PSU would have had to go for it on 4th and long or would have kicked a field goal and still trailed by 9. Instead, a play or two later, they had a TD and had closed to within 5 points.

Not that it actually changed the outcome, but it was a classy thing for Paterno to do.

Thomas Hamner fumbled the ball on the 15

don't worry about that '97 interference call - Hamner had the whole field open to get a first down and run out the clock and he just dropped the pitch - no one was near him - that is what I remember

There was the Indiana-Michigan game this year where the ruled it an interception when it was a simultaneous catch. The tie goes to the offense. If the teams would have been reversed, I don't believe that would have been called an interception.

I don't like the excessive celebration penalty, it's used far too subjectively. OK, a flip going into the end zone, that's not spontaneous, that's just someone trying to make a highlight reel. But spontaneous brief bursts of excitement run the risk of getting flagged if the ref feels like it.

This fall has been brutal. I've been obsessed with sports for a quarter century and this stretch is the worst I can recall seeing. Brutal calls in college football, the NFL and the embarrassment that has been the MLB playoffs.

Oh, yeah Deltahog I was turning my head to watch the Arkansa-Florida game every now and again at Joe Sensers and you all definetly got hosed MULTIPLE times by the refs. Its pretty obvious that that crew has a soft spot for the blue and orange.

Its really sad too because your hogs played their hearts out.

Top Bottom