Wow: Charley Walters: T. Denny Sanford rules out further donations to U

Now would be a great time for Norwood to pull in some big money or do we still have work to do on the fundraising feasibility study before he can raise any funds?

I can respect that. I'm never one to tell others how to spend their money.

That sounds a lot like sour grapes (on the hospital merger deal), to say something like that out loud to the press.

It's not like he's been some huge benefactor. Heck, *St. Thomas* pulled in several larger donations than Denny (or anybody else) has given to the U. If he doesn't want to dig into his own pockets, how about being a leader ala Harvey Mackey and drumming up equal support from some of his peers?

Money matters. Guys like Phil Knight and T. Boone Pickens made previously irrelevant programs into powerhouses.

I can respect that. I'm never one to tell others how to spend their money.

I can too, but damn it. At least there are plenty of wealthy alums, hopefully they will come through.

There's no other choice but to live with it. That said, I still think he's a self promoting a-hole.

^ Aggie pride is something else and not every school has a sugar daddy like OSU. That said, few schools can generate donations at the level of A&M and we should not be deterred in our quest to raise more money. Hopefully, we'll experience more success which in turn will generate more pride in the program and along with it more donations. As the old saying goes, Rome was not built in a day.

Meanwhile Texas A&M raised 750 million in that past year from donations..
http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/...million-almost-doubles-texas-longhorns-effort

Makes 190 million not seem like such an impossible accomplishment for Teague.

The $750 million wasn't all football. $270 of it was. The rest is going outside of the A&M athletic booster fund. Just adding some context, as your $750 comment blurs the lines quite a bit in terms of what was actually athletics related to that total amount.

I don't think T. Denny Sanford is done giving to the U, but it will take some time for him to get over losing the merger deal, give it four or five years. It's unfortunate that it's happening now but that's life.

That sounds a lot like sour grapes (on the hospital merger deal), to say something like that out loud to the press.

BS. He's given millions, and now he says he still loves the U, but he's done making donations. It sounds nothing like sour grapes.

The $750 million wasn't all football. $270 of it was. The rest is going outside of the A&M athletic booster fund. Just adding some context, as your $750 comment blurs the lines quite a bit in terms of what was actually athletics related to that total amount.
Just because the donations weren't made to athletics doesn't mean that they weren't given because of the success Manziel and the Aggies were having. Winning football teams are good for the whole university.

Just because the donations weren't made to athletics doesn't mean that they weren't given because of the success Manziel and the Aggies were having. Winning football teams are good for the whole university.

That is one thing Minnesotans in general do not understand. That a winning football or Basketball team is the best Promotion/advertisement of the University that there is now a days. If you invest into the these programs, and help create a winning program it will pay dividends through out the University as a whole. But, in general we fail to see this, even though it is going on right in front of our faces all over the country and to the east of us.

BS. He's given millions, and now he says he still loves the U, but he's done making donations. It sounds nothing like sour grapes.

In other words ," If they won't let me put my name on the hospital , I'll find something somewhere else where they will."

In other words ," If they won't let me put my name on the hospital , I'll find something somewhere else where they will."

Here's the problem. He didn't say that, and he gave no indication of meaning it.

You may surmise or infer it, but that's your malfunction, not his.

You can infer it because he was going to donate something like $35M but took it back because he didn't get his way. So not seeing this may be due to cloudy vision on your part.

Replied too quickly...

But as said above, he is allowed to do as he pleases with his money. Just not sure why he would even comment on it to Shooter...

Replied too quickly...

But as said above, he is allowed to do as he pleases with his money. Just not sure why he would even comment on it to Shooter...

No kidding. So far he's given Hartman and Walters column material. Hope he's not going to make a grand Media Tour telling every newspaper and TV station in the state that he's not going to give any more money. Certainly his and all our right not to give anybody anything.

Getting a lot of press for it though isn't he? :D

Move on, he is right, there are other alumni with money. But in reality, building relationships with large donors is a years, not months process.
Additionally Norwood is a new guy here woh is just building realtionships with people, he will not be the guy to "bring in some big money now", unless he is fabulously wealthy. The U has not done a good job historically of cultivating relationships with donors, and Norwood is going to have to try to get this done anyway. He is basically in the same position from a fund raising perspective as the situation Pitino is in recruiting. Through no fault of his own, he is going to have to try to get this done without the basics having been put in place.

That's ok Denny, we don't need your crooked pay for play money. We'll build it another way. Now go back to South Dakota and continue to commit usury with your credit cards.

1500: Massive U facilities plan takes hit with news T. Denny Sanford is out

University of Minnesota athletics director Norwood Teague announced in July that he is on a quest to raise $190 million for a massive sports facilities overhaul plan on campus.

That plan took a hit this week, with the news that a big-time donor will not be involved.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...es_hit_with_news_T_Denny_Sanford_is_out091813

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Gophers boosters haven't given up on enticing multimillionaire T. Denny Sanford to contribute to Minnesota's athletics facilities fundraising even though he said he's gone as far as he can financially with his alma mater.

Sanford, by the way, telephoned Rebecca Kill, wife of Jerry Kill, a couple of times recently, concerned about the popular Gophers football coach's seizures.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_24148269/charley-walters-vikings-matt-kalil-says-winning-road

Go Gophers!!

My mother in law is good friends with his ex wife. The guys an ahole so don't read tooth into it. Just like with TCF he cough up some dough eventually to get his name on something.

I thought he was going to donate $95,000 for a bronze statue of himself next to GOLDY??

Top Bottom