Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

gophersfan

Reaction score
So i know we have the other thread. I just want to get peoples interested. Would a Would a Minnesota Sports Network work? Like what they doing in Chicago for the Bulls, Blackhawks, White Sox. There network is Chicago Sports Network (CHSN).

Anything would work with deep pockets behind it.

VGK owner Bill Foley fired up a deal with Scripps Sports so that locals in Vegas could still watch the Golden Knights last season when the previous arrangement went the way of the Dodo. I have no idea if he lost money on it or not but Foley is an owner that doesn't care about shit like that; he's in it to win it, he's in it 110%, no matter what it takes.

as I said on the other thread, it comes down to distribution and revenue.

If the Twins, Wolves and Wild wanted to start a new "MN Sports Network," they would need to reach agreement with cable systems, satellite providers and possibly over-the-air TV stations to carry the games. that would be (I presume) separate from a direct-to-consumer streaming plan.

and then, assuming they are able to obtain distribution agreements, those agreements need to generate enough revenue to cover all expenses and hopefully turn a profit. Bally Sports North is getting roughly $10/month per subscriber from cable operators under its current contract. But could a new, start-up network command those kinds of fees? I am skeptical.

and bottom line, people would need to be willing to sign up for the service and pay the requested subscription fee.

important to note - we've speculated about what a Twins-only streaming package would cost, and have thrown around figures of $20 a month and maybe a discount of $100 for the full season. that's one team. if you're getting the Wolves and Wild as part of the package, then you need to generate revenue for three teams. that means a higher monthly and yearly fee.

would fans pay $30 a month for the MN Sports Network? or maybe $35 a month? and how many would sign up?

those are the kinds of questions that would have to be answered to make this venture work.

Yes. Maybe call it Midwest Sports Channel. MSC for short. Broadcast Twins, Wolves & Wild games. Maybe tape delayed college basketball games from a local university. Perhaps get a few legendary sports journalists and a guy like Mike Max to sit around a table and wax about the local sports scene.

Something has to give with RSNs. Cable operators and especially streaming platforms don't want to pay like the old days or offer on the lowest tier packages. With the advent of digital broadcasting and the ability to pack bandwidth, all of the local networks have secondary channels now. Why can't they be a player with the teams. Sure, the subscriber fees aren't there, but the ad revenue can't be peanuts.

Yes. Maybe call it Midwest Sports Channel. MSC for short. Broadcast Twins, Wolves & Wild games. Maybe tape delayed college basketball games from a local university. Perhaps get a few legendary sports journalists and a guy like Mike Max to sit around a table and wax about the local sports scene.
Innovative. Perhaps some fishing shows on Saturday and Sunday morning.

We could get our wish.

GPaFBsDaYAAaVOf

Last edited:

as I said on the other thread, it comes down to distribution and revenue.

If the Twins, Wolves and Wild wanted to start a new "MN Sports Network," they would need to reach agreement with cable systems, satellite providers and possibly over-the-air TV stations to carry the games. that would be (I presume) separate from a direct-to-consumer streaming plan.

and then, assuming they are able to obtain distribution agreements, those agreements need to generate enough revenue to cover all expenses and hopefully turn a profit. Bally Sports North is getting roughly $10/month per subscriber from cable operators under its current contract. But could a new, start-up network command those kinds of fees? I am skeptical.

and bottom line, people would need to be willing to sign up for the service and pay the requested subscription fee.

important to note - we've speculated about what a Twins-only streaming package would cost, and have thrown around figures of $20 a month and maybe a discount of $100 for the full season. that's one team. if you're getting the Wolves and Wild as part of the package, then you need to generate revenue for three teams. that means a higher monthly and yearly fee.

would fans pay $30 a month for the MN Sports Network? or maybe $35 a month? and how many would sign up?

those are the kinds of questions that would have to be answered to make this venture work.
I pay around 30 a month for MLM monthly on Prime and it frequently lower due to getting my deliveries on Prime Day which us a $1.50 credit towards the monthly fee.

I was on MLB previously, but switched as the MLB streaming channel didn’t work, so I cancelled it during my pre week and switched to Prime, where of course there were no issues.

Top Bottom