Worst Gopher injuries of all time?

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
Send your contribution.

Mine (in addition to the obvious Trevor): The cheerleader who fell off the pyramid (before regulated cheerleading) and was carried off in a stretcher.

I'm fairly young, so in my memory probably al nolen. Go from the #15 team to missing the NIT. Ouch.

Oooo. Eric Harris getting injured in the UCLA Elite 8 game. That doesn't happen and we're playing for the national title?

I would put Eric Harris separating his shoulder against Clemson in the 1997 Sweet 16 right up there. Yes he played against UCLA in the Elite 8 and Kentucky in the Final 4, but him not being 100% potentially cost the Gophers a national championship.

It was Clemson, and it was Iker Itube, and I'm still bitter.

Ah yes, near end of Clemson game. I remember being surprised at the news that he would play in the UCLA game...but he had no shot (and remember he was actually a scoring threat that year).

The Cornerback about 8-10 years ago who had such a severe break in his shoulder/collarbone area that he literally can never play football again...Cant remember name...

Slightly before my time, but Lou Hudson and the wrist and when he played opposite handed for almost an entire season. Didn't completely lose him, but how good would he have been with both hands?

The double whammy of Bauer and Bickerstaff within days of each other in the early 2000's. Lost in the Monson era failure was that team was 15-3 when those two went down and had played a tough non con schedule and probably would have made the tournament. Instead, they crashed and won about two more games the rest of the year. Very similar to 2010-2011.

While not a season ended or anything, Jason Walton's bum knees really hampered a promising career. I seem to recall he was quite athletic and had good natural leaping ability but nagging knee injuries really dampened his game. Might have been a great compliment to Vo Leonard on the wing.

Walton could have been a great one.

I remember Hudson breaking his arm, still played very well but wasn't the same. The team had previously lost Don Yates to grades. I think that team was ranked as high as third in the country. Easily a potential national championship.

And who says we don't have tradition.

This sucks.

I would put Eric Harris separating his shoulder against Clemson in the 1997 Sweet 16 right up there. Yes he played against UCLA in the Elite 8 and Kentucky in the Final 4, but him not being 100% potentially cost the Gophers a national championship.

What you talkin bout Willis,
The 1997 season we didn't win a single game and the NCAA playoffs didn't happen. Just check the "OFFICIAL" records.

I burned my hand on some hot chocolate at the Barn a few years ago. It really hurt for a little while.

Oh, you meant Gopher players...sorry.

do hurt feelings count as an injury? Kahlid El-Amin getting punched in a pickup game by Russ Archambeau (sp?) had some long term ramifications. But it worked out for U-Conn.

Garnett punching Rickert count?
that was day 1 of the Wolves training camp wasn't it? and technically I suppose Kahlid getting punched was before he was officially a Gopher, so maybe that doesn't qualify also.

Bauer breaking his arm was a gruesome replay...seeing that bone snap and his arm bend the wrong way was impressive.

Either 1976 or1977, last football game of season at Memorial Stadium. I got very drunk in the stands with my buddies. We rushed the field after the game to tear down the goalpost. With a crowd around the goalpost of approx 100 people, the post came down on my foot. Broke 2 toes. The scar exists to this day.

What you talkin bout Willis,
The 1997 season we didn't win a single game and the NCAA playoffs didn't happen. Just check the "OFFICIAL" records.

Until I get a refund on my season tickets...it happened.

Either 1976 or1977, last football game of season at Memorial Stadium. I got very drunk in the stands with my buddies. We rushed the field after the game to tear down the goalpost. With a crowd around the goalpost of approx 100 people, the post came down on my foot. Broke 2 toes. The scar exists to this day.

Klutz

While not a season ended or anything, Jason Walton's bum knees really hampered a promising career. I seem to recall he was quite athletic and had good natural leaping ability but nagging knee injuries really dampened his game. Might have been a great compliment to Vo Leonard on the wing.

And on that same team, Randy Carter had chronic problems with his ankles, I believe, and never lived up to his promise. Had those two been at their physical best, that team with Carter and McDonald as seniors and Lenard, Orr and Walton as juniors could have been a Final Four darkhorse.

And on that same team, Randy Carter had chronic problems with his ankles, I believe, and never lived up to his promise. Had those two been at their physical best, that team with Carter and McDonald as seniors and Lenard, Orr and Walton as juniors could have been a Final Four darkhorse.

Chad Kolander and David Grim called. They want your respect.

Lou Hudson.

As a soph (1963-64), he scored 18 ppg and the Gophers were 10-4/17-7, just 1 game out of 1st in the Big 10. But only 1 team went to the NCAAs in those days.

As a junior, the Gophers won their 1st 4 games and were rated #4 nationally. But then starting guard Terry Kunze was declared academically ineligible. The Gophers ended up 11-3/19-5 in 2nd in the Big 10 and in the top 10 nationally. Hudson was a consensus 1st team all-American.

Then in his senior year (1965-66), swing man Don Yates was declared ineligible and Kunze, who could have come back as of January '66, decided not to. Then in game #4 Hudson broke his right wrist. Hudson missed 4 weeks, then came back with his right hand in a cast. Archie Clark stepped up to become the Gophers top scorer but the team finished 7-7 in the Big 10.

If Yates and Kunze play and Hudson isn't injured, this certainly could have been another top 10 team and maybe even Big 10 champs, as they finally beat Michigan and Cazzie Russell (at Michigan) this year. Both Hudson and Clark went on to star (as in 25 ppg+ in their primes) in the NBA.

Does my memory fail me or did Carter have some other "chronic" problems as well that came to light when his career was over?

Chad Kolander and David Grim called. They want your respect.

As a matter of fact, Kolander had ankle issues, too. He'd be good in the non-conference until his annual sprained ankle, then his play went down a couple notches as he nursed the injury the rest of the year.

Top Bottom