WNIT

I hope they play better in this tournament than they did in the B1G Conference Tournament.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hopefully they make a run. My guess is that they will play Milwaukee, Northern Iowa or South Dakota.

I'd prefer their first round opponent NOT be my other Alma Mater, Ball State. We played them at Williams in the WNIT first round in 2013. It was an ugly, ugly, ugly game won by the Cardinals 54-51. Ball State led 51-35 before Minnesota mounted sort of a come back. Rachel missed a three with 7 seconds remaining that would have given the Gophers the lead. The Gophers shot 29% for the night and went home. Nathalie Fontaine still plays for Ball State so there's that.

I'd prefer their first round opponent NOT be my other Alma Mater, Ball State. We played them at Williams in the WNIT first round in 2013. It was an ugly, ugly, ugly game won by the Cardinals 54-51. Ball State led 51-35 before Minnesota mounted sort of a come back. Rachel missed a three with 7 seconds remaining that would have given the Gophers the lead. The Gophers shot 29% for the night and went home. Nathalie Fontaine still plays for Ball State so there's that.
Um. Thanks for the Ball State women's team WNIT update. I guess....

Um. Thanks for the Ball State women's team WNIT update. I guess....

I hope the seniors see this as another opportunity to play together and end their careers on a positive note. Banham could climb up into the top 5 for all time scoring and the younger players gain valuable experience. I just hope they do not come out flat like the Big tourney.

Ball State visits Iowa.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Potential re-match with Nebraska in regional semifinal and with Iowa (or Ball State) in regional final.

Repeating myself, but Stollings can say that the Gophers expect to compete for NCAA berths and top 25 rankings all she wants, but NCAA teams and top 25 teams do not play Wofford and Stetson and Towson and NJIT. The team's post-season problems were entirely foreseeable in August, when this terrible schedule was announced.

I really worry that the words "sluggish", "distracted" & "unfocused" will continue to be used to describe their performance, win or lose.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I hope Banham gets off 30 shots per game to move up the all-time scoring list!

Last night’s WNIT first round results:

Michigan’s 23-7 third quarter run finished off their Horizon League opponent, Wright State, 81-53 in Ann Arbor.

In Vermillion, South Dakota advanced to meet the Gophers with a 74-68 win over Creighton.

Tulane knocked down two free throws with :18 seconds remaining to defeat Alabama 53-52 in New Orleans.

Tough Thursday night for the B1G in the WNIT:

The win:

Rutgers defeated Georgetown 57-55 when Kahleah Copper hit a jumper off a deflection with .2 seconds remaining. Copper had 21 points and 9 rebounds. Rutgers advances to play Virginia winners over VCU (52-50).

The Losses:

Northern Iowa defeated Nebraska in Lincoln 64-62. UNI was able to maintain a tenuous lead throughout the fourth quarter. UNI will battle rival Drake who defeated Sacred Heart. The winner of that match up plays the winner of Minnesota/South Dakota.

Northwestern scored 35 fourth quarter points; but it wasn’t enough. San Diego held the Wildcats to 8 points in the first and 7 in the third in a 69-65 win in Evanston. San Diego lead by 21 in the third before Northwestern unsuccessfully rallied.

AND, in the only game not on BTN+, the Ball State Cardinals took out the Iowa Hawkeyes in Iowa City 77-72. The Card’s Nathalie Fontaine (MAC Player of the Year) netted 24 points and grabbed 11 rebounds.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...it-cap-frustrating-year-lisa-bluder/81946672/

Lisa Bluder has had quite enough of this season, thank you.

"I don’t think we respected Ball State enough," Bluder said. "Maybe they didn’t watch enough film to know that this was a good basketball team — a very good basketball team. They’re fundamentally sound, good inside player, great power forward, savvy point guard. I’m not sure that mentally they really knew how good Ball State was. We were worried about this game as coaches. We thought this would be a real challenge tonight."

"It’s hard to see this season come to an end, but it’s been a tough year, it's been a frustrating year," Bluder said. "We have to get recommitted to what made us great to begin with. We need to really dig deep and find that emotion and that passion for the game and then put in that work to be great again."

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_cdc1c394-1b19-5c14-a133-7823498f5e34.html

The Huskers limp into the off season:

Of Nebraska’s starters on Thursday — Natalie Romeo, Esther Ramacieri, Jasmine Cincore, Allie Havers and Anya Kalenta — only Romeo was a regular starter early in the season.

Big Ten freshman of the year Jessica Shepard did not start Thursday, but entered the game about three minutes into the first quarter. She scored five points on 1-of-8 shooting from the field in 16 minutes of play.

Romeo led the Huskers with 20 points, including four three-pointers. She had to play point guard more due to the injuries, and had a team-best five assists and tied for the team lead with nine rebounds...

...Shepard hasn’t practiced much in the past two weeks due to a stress reaction in her foot. Maddie Simon didn’t play because of a sprained ankle. Rachel Blackburn played with a foot injury, but now she’ll have surgery.

Nebraska only had four guards available, and when Ramacieri went down late in the game, it was three.

I'm taking my daughter, by brother and a friend to tomorrow's WNIT game.

Michigan defeated Bucknell 95-72 and advances to play San Diego.

If the Gophers win they will play Northern Iowa which defeated Drake 64-58.

Home standing South Dakota held off Northern Iowa 51-50. The Coyotes advance to play the winner of St. Louis (coached by former Badger HC, Lisa Stone) versus Western Kentucky.

Michigan, the remaining B1G team, plays Temple on Monday.

I know Stollings talks a lot about not being able to play defense because of "weaknesses" and, apparently, not having her type of player. But UNI somehow managed to hold the Coyotes to half the point total they scored at the Barn. Half.

I know Stollings talks a lot about not being able to play defense because of "weaknesses" and, apparently, not having her type of player. But UNI somehow managed to hold the Coyotes to half the point total they scored at the Barn. Half.

Very good pickup. Stollings says thing will change next year because of the type of new recruits/transfers coming in.

Very good pickup. Stollings says thing will change next year because of the type of new recruits/transfers coming in.

I dunno about that. Have you fallen in love with Barnes, Edwards, and Lamke? It's still gonna be Borton recruits (Wagner, Hedstrom) and homesick transfers (Starr, Fernstrom, Bell) who are most prominent.

If you watched Stollings' intro speech when she hired, she admits being offensive-minded. I wonder if it's on YouTube? "Defense from offense" or some similar spiel. Is she really going to blame the Borton recruits for the lack of defense? Borton's known more for defense.... so I dunno. Stollings' had the help of two high first round draft picks, and I don't see her bringing in that level of talent unless she gets lucky with Carr in 2018. We will see.

I dunno about that. Have you fallen in love with Barnes, Edwards, and Lamke? It's still gonna be Borton recruits (Wagner, Hedstrom) and homesick transfers (Starr, Fernstrom, Bell) who are most prominent.

If you watched Stollings' intro speech when she hired, she admits being offensive-minded. I wonder if it's on YouTube? "Defense from offense" or some similar spiel. Is she really going to blame the Borton recruits for the lack of defense? Borton's known more for defense.... so I dunno. Stollings' had the help of two high first round draft picks, and I don't see her bringing in that level of talent unless she gets lucky with Carr in 2018. We will see.

Barnes was coming of knee surgery. Edwards had a strength issue, and Lemke was just plain raw in basketball post smarts. I agree, the jury is out, but.I will give her the " benny" on next year.

The WNIT final four is set:

Michigan defeated Temple on a Hallie Thome basket with 8 seconds remaining (77-76) and will play at Florida Gulf Coast which defeated Hofstra 61-46.

South Dakota defeated Western Kentucky 68-54 and will host Oregon who advanced over UTEP 71-67.

South Dakota crushed Oregon in Vermillion, 88-54, and will host tonight's winner of Michigan @ FCGU .

South Dakota hosts FCGU (vanquishers of Michigan, 71-62) at 2:00 PM today in the WNIT Championship game on CBSSN.

Gophers, I guess, have the slim satisfaction of knowing they lost to the eventual winners of the WNIT. South Dakota took it, 71-66, over FGCU.

Did the gophers ever offer kelly Stewart a scholarship? She was tough as nails through the entire NIT and was their leading scorer many of their games. Nice to see a local kid do well to end her career.

Top Bottom