WMU attendance under PJ

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
We have all heard about his enthusiam and anticipated ability to put butts in seats.

Here are the facts.
WMU seating capacity: 30,200

2013 17,347 1-11 record
2014 15,625 8-5
2015 19,441 8-5
2016 23,838 13-1
Average 19,063
63% capacity
Zero sell-outs

Kalamazoo is not a large urban area so that may be a factor.

But his schtick alone won't fill TCF. Just win baby, win is what it will take.

Winning is what it always takes. No one buys a seat to watch the head coach unless they r a member of his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kalamazoo metro area is 300,000.
TC metro area is 3,900,000.

By your math, the Gophers should draw over 200,000 per game. Go Gophers!!!

The 98 Vikings helped secure a new generation of fans, I hope the enthusiasm is the initial hook followed by years of fun and successful football on the field. The fanbase needs to broaden, reaching students and younger.

Just a bit, yes.

If a 35% increase in historic demand (which, lets say, averages 47k) really did occur, the attendance problem is beyond-solved.

Minnesota would have every game sold out. Tickets to big games would sell for double "face" value, SRO tickets would be distributed, game day atmosphere would improve, and there would be a waitlist (again) for tickets. Demand would be for 60k+ and the stadium seats 50k.

This 55k+ demand is the level of demand that was originally envisioned when TCF was built. The program is therefore designed to operate at that level. The fact that Mason was replaced by Brew and actual demand fell to probably <40k was a disaster.

Not sure Fleck fixes this. But it has to be fixed for the business-component of the program to work.

The 98 Vikings helped secure a new generation of fans, I hope the enthusiasm is the initial hook followed by years of fun and successful football on the field. The fanbase needs to broaden, reaching students and younger.

Good point and I think that is the Randy Moss factor. The gophers need one superstar to be a weekly highlight and someone that alone is worth the price of admission.

Winning is what it always takes. No one buys a seat to watch the head coach unless they r a member of his family.

Yeah, PJ's bump in interest will be short lived if they don't win. It's all about winning.

Nebraska and Wisconsin are at TCF this year. Add in the "You gotta buy two games" to get either one of those. That's a guarantee that next season's average attention will go up.

Five Big Ten Home games next season too.

We have all heard about his enthusiam and anticipated ability to put butts in seats.

Here are the facts.
WMU seating capacity: 30,200

2013 17,347 1-11 record
2014 15,625 8-5
2015 19,441 8-5
2016 23,838 13-1
Average 19,063
63% capacity
Zero sell-outs

But his schtick alone won't fill TCF. Just win baby, win is what it will take.
From November 1 of last year:

Emmons said the Western community has a tendency to think it can't keep good leaders at the college, like there's always something better, always a direction up from Kalamazoo.

"I wish Kalamazoo would understand what a treasure P.J. is," Emmons said. "One of the reasons he might leave is they don't understand (that)."

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2016/11/western_michigan_fans_not_doin.html

Also they have MSU and UM to compete with.

Then it shouldn't take long at all. There were 25,000 at the Northwestern game and even that figure is generous.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom