With the non-conference slate behind us, the Gophers are?…

With the non-conference slate behind us, the Gophers are?…

• Better than expected

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • About what you expected

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Worse than expected

Votes: 52 92.9%

• Total voters

Worse, much worse. Outside of MNJay, how can anyone say we aren't worse?
Worse than what, Stan? I agree but looking for the standard. I thought they would be better than they have been.

maybe a better question. With Alcorn State off the schedule....do they win another game this year?

Worse than what, Stan? I agree but looking for the standard. I thought they would be better than they have been.
This is obviously my opinion and not Stan's but: worse than possibly any team in MN history. Worst as is possibly the worst Big Ten team to ever take the floor.
This team is young, etc. But they are bad. I would not pick them over any team in the top 5% of division 2 basketball.

maybe a better question. With Alcorn State off the schedule....do they win another game this year?
They will probably get 1 or 2. But it wouldn't surprise me if they get none also.
Sucks, let hope it does a 180 for next year...

When they signed Garcia and I started hearing that Battle had gotten into better shape, I was very optimistic. This has been a major, disorienting thud. And then, just when you get to the point where you're at peace with bad basketball and are looking forward to getting out of the house for any reason whatsoever, they cancel the game.

No B1G team has gone winless in the conference since in 20 years. Possibly longer—I quit looking after 20. Plenty of 1 win teams in that stretch though.

Per an article I found Northwester went winless in 2000-01 and 1991-92. Prior to that it was University of Chicago who did it 7 times in 10 years in the 30s and 40s

Rutgers in 2015-16 was in the verge starting 0-17 with only 1 game left. Senior day against the 2-15 gophers (who had beat them by 22 earlier in the year).

This Rutgers team was horrible. Lost 14 of 17 games in conference by double digits. Including a 107-57 loss at home to Purdue and 5 total conference games by 30+.

They pounded the gophers 75-52 on senior night to avoid a winless conference season. The Gophers started Murphy (3/21 that day!!), Buggs, Sharp, Gilbert and Konate. Lukashiwich, Diedhou and Haugh played off the bench.

Ben's problem is that this is year 2. In football, I swear, every coach with a 5 year contract tries to lose all their games in year one. Oh my gosh, huge rebuild, no idea how bad the program was...etc etc Then in year two they win six and go to a bowl and shout from the mountaintops...look what I did.
Ben being inexperienced gave us optimism in year one. Now in year two, I think he's truly trying to win but has no idea how to do that. And we are historically bad. Will it change in year three?
Sure, it should get better but it could get worse....so many things could go wrong.
Players don't automatically get better. Gabe got worse, lots of freshmen have stayed mediocre their whole careers. Our freshmen seem to have potential ... Carrington was invisible to start and has had one game so far, Ola Joseph is a surprise to us but is he going to lead the team? He has so far among the freshmen. We all think Payne is going to be Shaq like but it's January and he's not doing anything like we think he's capable. Henley has potential...so did Michael Hurt.
There are no guarantees it's going to get better.
All of us wishing for it may not be enough.
We need to see some signs...couple good games in a row from somebody. Better defense.
We don't have one on one players...that team offense they have been keeping under wraps...I'm ready for it.

Per an article I found Northwester went winless in 2000-01 and 1991-92. Prior to that it was University of Chicago who did it 7 times in 10 years in the 30s and 40s

Rutgers in 2015-16 was in the verge starting 0-17 with only 1 game left. Senior day against the 2-15 gophers (who had beat them by 22 earlier in the year).

This Rutgers team was horrible. Lost 14 of 17 games in conference by double digits. Including a 107-57 loss at home to Purdue and 5 total conference games by 30+.

They pounded the gophers 75-52 on senior night to avoid a winless conference season. The Gophers started Murphy (3/21 that day!!), Buggs, Sharp, Gilbert and Konate. Lukashiwich, Diedhou and Haugh played off the bench.
The 7 guys after Murphy...I like ALL of our guys this year much, much more than those guys. Thanks, I feel better now.

The 7 guys after Murphy...I like ALL of our guys this year much, much more than those guys. Thanks, I feel better now.
that team also had Joey King, Nate Mason, Carlos Morris, & Dupree MuBrayer who i think were all injured the last couple games of the year

I thought at the start of the year we would be competitive, maybe not a tourney team but 8-12ish in the league. Thought Battle, Garcia and Payne would be a tough front court. Cooper would be the distributer they needed and Carrington would make open shots and with Thorson the defense would keep us in games. Most of that if any of it has not happened.

that team also had Joey King, Nate Mason, Carlos Morris, & Dupree MuBrayer who i think were all injured the last couple games of the year
King got hurt, Morris was dismissed before the Maryland game. Mason, Dupree and Dorsey got suspended. Reggie Lynch also got arrested the first time, the following off season

The Gophers rolled out that atrocious lineup that game because King was injured, Squirrel was done, and Mason, McBrayer, and Dorsey were all suspended. That was 5 of their top 7 scorers.

Correct. The injured squad would have killed the squad that played that dad

The Gophers rolled out that atrocious lineup that game because King was injured, Squirrel was done, and Mason, McBrayer, and Dorsey were all suspended. That was 5 of their top 7 scorers.
I’m well aware. I was a season ticket holder for much of the RP era.

I voted worse than I expected since the non-conference season did not show me much to be excited about. Also, I had higher expectations for Battle and Garcia at the start of the season. Free throws, rebounding, and taking care of the ball are worse than I expected.

Thought they would be bad but they’re much worse than expected.

If there is year below Year Zero for the development of a program that is where Ben Johnson and his squad are at.

This team is a sort of Rorschach test. You see what you want to see. Take out what everyone agrees on- that we need a scoring point guard- and the facts are, the Gophers are 6-6. Can we at least "allow for the possibilty" that they start to shoot and defend better? There's half a season to go...

Top Bottom