With the injury news.....

Gopherbbdude

Reaction score
Does BJ try and fill his last scholarship spot? ...or does he roll with what he has.

Does BJ try and fill his last scholarship spot? ...or does he roll with what he has.
If they can find someone who has some potential to develop and fill a role, I am sure they would take them but otherwise I would see them rolling with the 12 healthy players they have.

if they can find someone who can contribute, great.

but, if it's just a warm body who isn't going to make a difference in a game, who cares. I'd rather let Ramberg run around out there for 3 or 4 minutes as opposed to some random guy wearing a uniform.

if they can find someone who can contribute, great.

but, if it's just a warm body who isn't going to make a difference in a game, who cares. I'd rather let Ramberg run around out there for 3 or 4 minutes as opposed to some random guy wearing a uniform.
Worst case scenario, I'd let it be known to the best upper classmen in the MIAC or Division 2 that we have a scholarship open. I'm not saying it's ideal (it's very far from ideal), but maybe one of those guys can do something at a division 1 level (shoot, handle the ball, etc.).

I have a hard time believing Joe Palmer from Augsburg wouldn't have been able to play 5-6 minutes of Big 10 basketball last year.

Worst case scenario, I'd let it be known to the best upper classmen in the MIAC or Division 2 that we have a scholarship open. I'm not saying it's ideal (it's very far from ideal), but maybe one of those guys can do something at a division 1 level (shoot, handle the ball, etc.).

I have a hard time believing Joe Palmer from Augsburg wouldn't have been able to play 5-6 minutes of Big 10 basketball last year.
Would Joe Palmer want to give up a starting role and a chance at being all conference? Not many do or they would’ve left already

Would Joe Palmer want to give up a starting role and a chance at being all conference? Not many do or they would’ve left already
I don't know about him specifically, but I think there is probably an elite MIAC or local D2 player would give up starting for those programs for a scholarship and a legitimate shot at PT in the Big 10 (probably an injury away from significant PT).

I don't know about him specifically, but I think there is probably an elite MIAC or local D2 player would give up starting for those programs for a scholarship and a legitimate shot at PT in the Big 10 (probably an injury away from significant PT).
Yeah I don’t think it’s as common or easy to get. Even Fox was a rarity. I think it’s hands down the most likely way to get a guy who can actually contribute, but just think it’ll be hard to find the guy.

How to poison relationships with D 2 and D 3 coaches, and probably some MN high school coaches too. Try to pry top MIAC players last minute to fill out your Big Ten roster because of injuries. I don’t think BJ will embrace anything like that.

How to poison relationships with D 2 and D 3 coaches, and probably some MN high school coaches too. Try to pry top MIAC players last minute to fill out your Big Ten roster because of injuries. I don’t think BJ will embrace anything like that.
You think it would poison relationships with HS coaches by offering another local kid a D1 scholarship? It might hurt your relationship with the D2 or D3 coaches, but why do we care?

It's not like those D2/D3 coaches would have any moral high ground, they would be holding back a kid from playing D1 ball because it would hurt their team/career. You think if the U called and offered them a job in June they wouldn't take it?

Just my take. But poaching kids last minute from MN D2 and D3 colleges for a few minutes a game is unseemly, unnecessary and screams of desperation. If a kid is in the transfer portal that’s one thing, like Parker Fox. Johnson is trying to build bridges w HS coaches, something Pitino failed to do. Trying to induce a player under the circumstance you describe is not the kind of atmosphere and reputation he is trying to build. If that’s what it’s come to already Ben’s chances for success are already diminished.

Just my take. But poaching kids last minute from MN D2 and D3 colleges for a few minutes a game is unseemly, unnecessary and screams of desperation. If a kid is in the transfer portal that’s one thing, like Parker Fox. Johnson is trying to build bridges w HS coaches, something Pitino failed to do. Trying to induce a player under the circumstance you describe is not the kind of atmosphere and reputation he is trying to build. If that’s what it’s come to already Ben’s chances for success are already diminished.

Any D league coach who gets pissed his player gets a shot at A league is an idiot who doesn't get it

Any D league coach who gets pissed his player gets a shot at A league is an idiot who doesn't get it
Also probably one who wants to win and keep their job. Lower level coaches are getting tired of higher poaching them when they put in the early work. Won’t be mad at the kid but will be annoyed with a coach.

If he is good enough to compete for playing time in the Big Ten, and he really wants to move up he would have been in the portal.

Also probably one who wants to win and keep their job. Lower level coaches are getting tired of higher poaching them when they put in the early work. Won’t be mad at the kid but will be annoyed with a coach.
I get that but it's not much different than if a player leaves the U for the NBA. It's a major step up for the player.

Do you really think it would hurt Ben Johnson's relationship with HS coaches by giving another scholarship to a local player? Hypothetically, if Joe Palmer wanted to come to the U, you don't think the Faribault HS basketball coach would be ecstatic for him and that decision? Do you really think that coach would have a better opinion of the D3 coach who tried to hold him back? Sorry, there is no chance of that.

I'm not talking about lying to the player. I'm talking about being honest with them and letting them know they have a legitimate chance of getting playing time this year. How is that any different than any of the other players who transfer in?

I get your opinion with D2/D3 coaches, but that is 100% those coaches looking out for their own interests. They aren't exactly an impartial observer.

Do you really think it would hurt Ben Johnson's relationship with HS coaches by giving another scholarship to a local player? Hypothetically, if Joe Palmer wanted to come to the U, you don't think the Faribault HS basketball coach would be ecstatic for him and that decision? Do you really think that coach would have a better opinion of the D3 coach who tried to hold him back? Sorry, there is no chance of that.

I'm not talking about lying to the player. I'm talking about being honest with them and letting them know they have a legitimate chance of getting playing time this year. How is that any different than any of the other players who transfer in?

I get your opinion with D2/D3 coaches, but that is 100% those coaches looking out for their own interests. They aren't exactly an impartial observer.
What if Ben thinks that what is available has zero chance at real playing time. What of the chance that players like it at D2 schools and have meaningful relationships there as well as knowing their own limitations.

Got it that you think any D2 or 3 player should jump at the chance to play three minutes of D1 mop up duty, as opposed to playing real minutes on their MIAC or Northern Sun team. And that D1 coaches should be poaching those players to cover for recruiting deficiencies. I just don’t see BJ doing that, but maybe I’ll be proven wrong.

Top Bottom