With Robbins Aboard, Gophers Slide Into Latest Field of 68 Projection

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
The Gophers move into my Field of 68 projection with the NCAA's announcement of Drake transfer Liam Robbins' immediate eligibility for next season. Both Gach's waiver will be a formality, so I expect we'll see him in a Gopher uniform next season, too.

The Big Ten appears loaded for next season. I see 11 of the 14 teams with the potential to be NCAA squads, but for now I'm going with a nation-best 9 NCAA bids. The Gophers have more than enough talent, versatility, and depth to be one of those 9.

An * denotes the projected champion in a multiple-bid conference.

FIELD OF 68 PROJECTION (September 2)
America East (1):
Vermont

American (3): *Houston, Memphis, SMU

ACC (7): Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina, *Virginia

ASUN (1): Lipscomb

Atlantic 10 (2): *Richmond, Saint Louis

Big East (5): Creighton, Providence, Seton Hall, UConn, *Villanova

Big Sky (1): Northern Colorado

Big South (1): Winthrop

Big Ten (9): *Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Rutgers, Wisconsin

Big XII (6): *Baylor, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, West Virginia

Big West (1): UCSB

Colonial (1): College of Charleston

Conference USA (1): Western Kentucky

Horizon (1): Youngstown State

Ivy (1): Yale

MAAC (1): Iona

MAC (1): Bowling Green

MEAC (1): NCCU

Missouri Valley (1): Loyola

Mountain West (2): *San Diego State, UNLV

Northeast (1): Saint Francis-Pa

Ohio Valley (1): Austin Peay

Pac 12 (4): Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon, *UCLA

Patriot (1): Colgate

SEC (6): Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, *Kentucky, LSU, Tennessee

SoCon (1): UNC-Greensboro

Southland (1): Stephen F. Austin

SWAC (1): Southern U

Summit (1): South Dakota State

Sun Belt (1): South Alabama

WCC (2): BYU, *Gonzaga

WAC (1): New Mexico State

Last 4 In: Miami-Florida, Providence, SMU, UNLV

First 4 Out:
Cincinnati, Florida, Northern Iowa, Purdue

Dozen to Watch: Boise State, Bradley, Clemson, Dayton, Furman, Marquette, Maryland, San Francisco, South Carolina, USC, Utah State, Xavier

Non-Power 6 At-Large Bids (5): BYU, Memphis, Saint Louis, SMU, UNLV

Final 4: Baylor, Gonzaga, Villanova, Virginia

Lurking: Creighton, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas

National Champion: Gonzaga

Good list. Two mid-majors definitely to watch are Boise St and Rhode Island. Both could be NCAA tournament squads.

Still hoping the Gophers get to play Saint Louis in the non-conference. That was a solid choice by Pitino. Should be their best team in years.

Good list. Two mid-majors definitely to watch are Boise St and Rhode Island. Both could be NCAA tournament squads.

Still hoping the Gophers get to play Saint Louis in the non-conference. That was a solid choice by Pitino. Should be their best team in years.
Yep, I think I missed the boat not including Rhode Island among the "Dozen to Watch". I'll probably get that rectified with the next projection. A-10 looks pretty good this year at the top with 4-5 squads.

Yes, but will they be above 500 in the Big Ten? If you want the top MN recruits to stay home you need to compete for championships.

Top Bottom