With Pharrel Payne gone, the Gophers men's basketball team will turn to transfer Frank Mitchell and others to produce in the post next season

I am surprised the 3 mn kids Ben recruited left the team.

I'm not sure the Gopher will see a drop in production from the position.
Feel like in clutch time, Dawson will spend more time at the center spot amongst 4 wings
Payne was inured quite a bit last year, really wasn't productive until the final stretch, that Payne will be missed but two thirds of the season not so much.

Good point on Garcia at center during crunch time, makes sense and may have been part of why shooting was not a critical piece of Mitchells recruitment.

Unfortunately, 3 of our top 4 big men are poor free throw shooters. Hard to hide it when that is the case. We might have to play a four guard lineup sometimes at the end of halves.
Nothing wrong with a 4 guard line up if you have the players to do so. My question would be, does Johnson have in him to go that route?

Nothing wrong with a 4 guard line up if you have the players to do so. My question would be, does Johnson have in him to go that route?
I think he assembled this roster for that. He knows that his rotation was too short last year and players wore down quicker and quicker in games as the season pressed on. Alot more balance and ball handlers

Go Gophers!!

That Pioneer Press article was a good read.

Stats for MAC:

Mitchell was #13 in conference for points per game, 12.1 as a forward.

11.6 rebounds per game! That was #1 in the MAC (and #4 nationwide, I think). Really interesting how that translates. That's a great pickup. Nobody knew last year at this time what they had, could translate well with Johnson.

If it's to salt away a win, then I pray that the answer is yes!!!

Mitchell was #13 in conference for points per game, 12.1 as a forward.

11.6 rebounds per game! That was #1 in the MAC (and #4 nationwide, I think). Really interesting how that translates. That's a great pickup. Nobody knew last year at this time what they had, could translate well with Johnson.

I'll be pretty amazed if he gets very close to that rebounding average next season. Zach Edey had two years where he averaged over 12 per game but there haven't been many double digit rebound averages in the conference over the last five years. Oturu averaged 11.3 in his last year and two other conference players had averages over 10 per game that season (that was the most players in a season averaging double figure rebounds over the last five years). Kofi had one year over 10 and led the conference. Second place (to Edey), Kel'el Ware, averaged 9.9 last season.

If Mitchell can average over 9 per game, that would be great. He's a bit undersized (looks to be slightly shorter than Fox in the video clips) but some very good rebounders have been undersized.

I'll be pretty amazed if he gets very close to that rebounding average next season. Zach Edey had two years where he averaged over 12 per game but there haven't been many double digit rebound averages in the conference over the last five years. Oturu averaged 11.3 in his last year and two other conference players had averages over 10 per game that season (that was the most players in a season averaging double figure rebounds over the last five years). Kofi had one year over 10 and led the conference. Second place (to Edey), Kel'el Ware, averaged 9.9 last season.

If Mitchell can average over 9 per game, that would be great. He's a bit undersized (looks to be slightly shorter than Fox in the video clips) but some very good rebounders have been undersized.
Cripes!

Here was a pretty good undersized rebounder for the Gopher.

I’d be careful thinking we’re not going to miss Payne.

That said, I think Christie is the guy among the departees Gophers will miss the most. Have a feeling it’s going to be a struggle bus on the wing in terms of perimeter shooting. Someone needs to loosen things up for Garcia.

I’d be careful thinking we’re not going to miss Payne.

That said, I think Christie is the guy among the departees Gophers will miss the most. Have a feeling it’s going to be a struggle bus on the wing in terms of perimeter shooting. Someone needs to loosen things up for Garcia.
Thinking Mike Mitchell might get an extra shot or so behind the arc and Patterson and Cochran, hopefully, fill the void. Will certainly be interesting. Ben mentioned getting the offense going in the question and answer video. Be great if the team surprised us with a defensive identity. One can hope, I suppose. Looking forward to that Norrh Texas game. They are about as experienced as the Gophers and that coach loves his defense. Only gave up 80 or more two times last season and one of those was an overtime game.

Thinking Mike Mitchell might get an extra shot or so behind the arc and Patterson and Cochran, hopefully, fill the void. Will certainly be interesting. Ben mentioned getting the offense going in the question and answer video. Be great if the team surprised us with a defensive identity. One can hope, I suppose. Looking forward to that Norrh Texas game. They are about as experienced as the Gophers and that coach loves his defense. Only gave up 80 or more two times last season and one of those was an overtime game.
UNT is a good underrated test for us. They play in an underrated conference. Plus they have the best coffee mugs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240811_181559_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240811_181559_Gallery.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 2

Top Bottom