Wishbone Creator Dies

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Link from ESPN.

My high school road this offense to two state championships and more than 8 state tournament appearances.

We ran it a lot in high school as well. I think we had five guys with between 400-800 yards rushing one year. Very effective, especially if you have a bunch of good backs.

We ran it too. My HS coach swore that there was actually some HS coach in Missouri or some other place who had actually ran that offense long before Texas used it. It was not a good offense when you needed to play "catch-up."

White Bear Lake still runs the wishbone. They make Wisconsin look like an air-it-out, pass heavy team. They literally pass max 3-5 times a game and the majority of those are screens to the RB.

The passing of a true Texas football legend.

Link from ESPN.

My high school road this offense to two state championships and more than 8 state tournament appearances.

I played on three early 70's teams at St.Peter when Lyle Eidsness implemented both the wishbone and "Radar" defense. We sure have fallen on hard times for the last fifteen years. When Glencoe was in the old South Central they were someone you scheduled for homecoming, now they're in the mix for a state championship every year.

My high school ran it also to great success in the late 80s early 90s to two Wisconsin state championships in fact. However, he kept running it without the type of players needed to be successful and our program went into the crapper.

I played on three early 70's teams at St.Peter when Lyle Eidsness implemented both the wishbone and "Radar" defense. We sure have fallen on hard times for the last fifteen years. When Glencoe was in the old South Central they were someone you scheduled for homecoming, now they're in the mix for a state championship every year.

I played on the prep bowl team in 95. Funny, Norseland is home :)

My high school relied on the wishbone offense as well. We even had one game where the rushing attack was so effective that we were 0-0 for passing statistics.

Emory Bellard is credited with inventing it, because he is the guy that brought it to college football. The wishbone formation was actually invented by a high school coach in Ft Worth in the mid to late 50's, nearly 10 years before Bellard coached with Darrel Royal at Texas. Bellard found out about the formation when he was a high school coach for a small community west of Ft Worth, and started using a version himself.

I ran this offense for 2 1/2 years in high school. At that level, it's rare to find anyone that knows how to defend it properly, especially if your QB can read the defense pre-snap, and put you in the right play at the LOS.

Top Bottom