Wisconsin State Journal: Top five BT coaches with something to prove (#1. Pitino)

Cant say I disagree

Recruits are fleeing the state, but don't mind those 4 stars from out of state that are coming here! Or the top two in state 2016 kids coming here!

Not sure if "fleeing the state" is the most accurate characterization. "Eschewing the home school" would be more like serious journalism.

Cayman - beat me to it. "recruits are fleeing the state" cracked me up. Especially since this is from a wisconsin paper. I wouldn't trade our two recruits for their two Minnesotans (although I believe Brad Davison will be special for wisconsin).

The recruits fleeing the state comment is silly...recruiting has gone how they wanted it to, I think. To me Pitino would be #3 on the list. Miles would be #1. Illinois guy #2 and then Pitino. Are Matta and Painter being grumbled about in their home markets? Seems like maybe a top 3 list would be more accurate but I'm not aware of the Ohio State and Purdue discontent or how high it is?

The recruits fleeing the state comment is silly...recruiting has gone how they wanted it to, I think. To me Pitino would be #3 on the list. Miles would be #1. Illinois guy #2 and then Pitino. Are Matta and Painter being grumbled about in their home markets? Seems like maybe a top 3 list would be more accurate but I'm not aware of the Ohio State and Purdue discontent or how high it is?

If the locals in West Lafayette or Columbus are grumbling, they are delusional. Purdue is a well coached team that has brutal recruiting competition in state. OSU consistently has highly rated recruiting classes. Matta might do well to recruit a few more solid four year players instead of one and done wanna be's, though.

Both Groce and Miles have taken multiple teams (including their current ones) to the NCAA tournament. In terms of "most to prove" Pitino has to be number 1

Both Groce and Miles have taken multiple teams (including their current ones) to the NCAA tournament. In terms of "most to prove" Pitino has to be number 1

I'm not saying you are wrong but I do disagree for several reasons, one, because they have been at their schools a year longer. Miles has 10th, 11th and 12th place finishes in 3 of his four years. Nebraska is expected to be bad again this year. Pitino in spite of last years absolute disaster has a better overall record at Minnesota than Miles does at Nebraska. All that and more...facilities, watching him coach in games etc just says to me Miles is in over his head. I don't watch Pitino coach and feel that way at all. Our talent is improving and barring the unforeseen will be better again next year. Groce is coming off a 12th place finish. I think Illinois expects more out of their basketball team than Minnesota does. Illinois recently won 5 Big Ten titles in a 7 year run. Bruce Weber went 7 out of his 10 years at Illinois to the NCAA Tournament....he still got fired!!! Groce has missed 3 years in a row! He will be fired if Illinois is not in the NCAA Tournament. The expectations, the history, the available recruits, etc etc is different at Illinois. Pitino in my opinion just needs to be competitive and win 5 or 6 Big Ten games. Doing that or better and with the optimism for his best team next year he will return. That's not where the bar is for Miles or Groce. imo

Top Bottom