wisconSIN BADgers' Zach Brown

MNGoldenGophers1

Go4 Homer
Reaction score
Any chance SIN-BAD Brown would transfer to MN or any other BIG-10 school? As I understand it, he would be eligible to play immediately as a scholarship player since he'll be graduating. Is he worth giving a scholarship to for one year of service?

Maybe he would. I know he was considering us out of HS. How would he be eligible to play here? Is he a graduate?

Just like the gophers gave the other Wisconsin transfer a scholarship?:confused:

Royston wasn't released and...

He wasn't released by WI right?

I think I read somewhere that people who finish BA/BS's can transfer without having to sit or walk on to work their Master's. I think this rule maybe fairly recent.

I think I read somewhere that people who finish BA/BS's can transfer without having to sit or walk on to work their Master's. I think this rule maybe fairly recent.

Correct (I think).

I do know that anyone who received a scholar at one B1G Ten school can never receive a scholarship from another B1G Ten school.

Correct (I think).

I do know that anyone who received a scholar at one B1G Ten school can never receive a scholarship from another B1G Ten school.

I think I remembered; a player who graduated is immediately eligible at another school as long as the new school offers a graduate program the previous school didn't.

Correct (I think).

That was the rule when Kim transferred, but it has since been changed and now intraconference transfers in the Big Ten can receive scholarships at their new school.

That was the rule when Kim transferred, but it has since been changed and now intraconference transfers in the Big Ten can receive scholarships at their new school.

That must be a recent change. Can you provide a link so I can read more?

NOTE: Last December, Brandon Wegher left Iowa and couldn't receive a scholarship from another Big Ten school, which is one of the reasons he went to Oklahoma.

That must be a recent change. Can you provide a link so I can read more?

NOTE: Last December, Brandon Wegher left Iowa and couldn't receive a scholarship from another Big Ten school, which is one of the reasons he went to Oklahoma.

https://www.msu.edu/user/msuncaa/December Newsletter 10.pdf (page 1, 3rd item, left column)

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/fl...ewletter/newsletter-10nov.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=17300 (page 2, bottom of left column)

www.gophersports.com/downloads2/394684.ppt (slide 4, item 2)

The reason it didn't apply to Wegher is because (as I understand it) the new rule applies only to players who will be freshmen in the 2011-2012 school year and beyond. Ben Brust (basketball player who de-committed from Iowa and transferred to Wisconsin) applied for a waiver in the spring of 2010, and that is what really started the momentum to change the rule permanently (according to what I've read).

https://www.msu.edu/user/msuncaa/December Newsletter 10.pdf (page 1, 3rd item, left column)

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/fl...ewletter/newsletter-10nov.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=17300 (page 2, bottom of left column)

The reason it didn't apply to Wegher is because (as I understand it) the new rule applies only to players who will be freshmen in the 2011-2012 school year and beyond. Ben Brust (basketball player who de-committed from Iowa and transferred to Wisconsin) applied for a waiver in the spring of 2010, and that is what really started the momentum to change the rule permanently (according to what I've read).

Thank you for the informative links. This gives the athletes a little more control when their college choice doesn't work out. I hope the B1G added some revised tampering rules to reflect this change.

I thought you could only transfer for without having to sit out and stay on scholarship if your current school didn't offer the master's program you wish to study. I believe that was how Mesoli (sp.) was able to transfer from Oregon this past year.

Zach is a great back and would be an asset to a lot of programs. He was just buried too deep on the Badgers. Those who say it must be a major not offered by your own school are correct, I believe, unless the NCAA has changed that rule recently.

Good luck, Zach!

FYI--Brust never enrolled at Iowa and therefore wasn't considered a transfer. If he was a transfer he would have had to sit a year in residency (as Dan Coleman did when he enrolled in summer school at BC and then transferred back to Minnesota before fall classes started). The dispute with Brust was the commissioner trying to help salvage the disaster that was Iowa basketball by trying to prevent other teams from poaching signed recruits that wanted a release from his National Letter of Intent (think Seantrel Henderson). It would be a jerk thing to do but it would have been totally within Iowa's rights to refuse to release him which would have left him with 3 choices: 1) Enroll at Iowa 2) Pay his own way at some other school and be eligible for a scholarship in year 2 or 3) Sit out a year and then enroll elsewhere.

The MSU article is in fact referencing students that have signed an NLI but not triggered transfer rules (that means they haven't enrolled which in the most technical sense means they haven't attended a class--see Kiffin poaching UT's early enrollees to USC by telling them on the eve of their first class not to attend the next day if they are interested in USC). Back on the subject of the new rule, the Big Ten is making a different distinction than the NCAA rules by saying backing out of a signed NLI to a Big Ten school and switching to another Big Ten school is now treated the same as a transfer. It wouldn't impact any player that backs out of a Pac 12, SEC, etc NLI to switch to a Big Ten school.

And yes, it appears players can now transfer within the conference and receive aid.

Top Bottom