Winfield’s NFL draft combine profile.

PitinoFan

Banned
Reaction score
The main takeaway is that he’s an instinctive player, but lacks ideal speed and quickness, according to the analyst. He received a grade of 6.36, which projects as an NFL starter within 2 years.

Last edited:

I’m very curious to see how close he’ll come to this, which was likely hand timed.

Any guesses how he’ll do?

I'm starting to wonder if these 'experts' see a player from Minnesota and automatically checks off lacking in elite athleticism.

I realize Zeirlein‘s job is to write something for these capsules and as with Johnson he does award him a decent grade overall, but also as with Johnson some of these demerits get awarded the Tom gif. Winfield’s playmaking and tackling attributes were consistently elite level. Let’s get to the analysis. Could have stopped after the first two bullets.

Weaknesses
  • Missed extensive time in 2017 and 2018 due to injuries
  • Below-average height and length for jump balls downfield
  • Range over the top is a little bit limited
  • Hip tightness prevents fluid transitions
  • Sluggish to recover when he bites too hard on the cheese
  • Below-average burst to drive on throws and make plays on the ball
  • Lack of length shows up as a tackler
  • Struggles to wrap and finish if positioning and footwork aren't on point

I'm starting to wonder if these 'experts' see a player from Minnesota and automatically checks off lacking in elite athleticism.

He notes that Winfield was a 3 star recruit, so maybe there’s some preconceived bias....”must lack elite speed.” I don’t know. If he had returned punts this last year, my hunch is they wouldn’t be questioning his athleticism.

Winfield's situation reminds me of Steph Curry's NBA situation. Both had Fathers who played at a very high professional level, both dominated in college, both were raised around professional athletes, and both had draft profiles with many weaknesses. Remember the Wolves took TWO players before Steph was drafted at #7. The Vikings should not miss out on Winfield! GO GOPHERS!

I’m very curious to see how close he’ll come to this, which was likely hand timed.

Any guesses how he’ll do?

If he runs around 4.45, he'll be sitting pretty. He gets up into the high 4.5's or 4.6's, he'll probably slip a little. If he breaks 4.4 he'll be a first round pick.

Interesting link. It was interesting to not only look up Winfield's outline, but the other Gophers in the combine as well.

Top Bottom