Wilt to Indiana

My biggest concern would be recruiting. Recruiting is all about developing relationships. So do the new coaches now have to recruit different areas - meaning they have to develop new relationships?

by all accounts, Wilt, Patterson and the D-backs coach were solid recruiters. the on-field coaching is important, but you have to have talent to coach, and that comes down to recruiting.

But - I will say this - and if most people are honest, I think they will agree.

if WI or IA had three assistant coaches leave for other jobs in a week, there would be a thread on Gopher Hole (probably started by Swingman) shouting about "coaching chaos at WI" - "Big Staff shakeup at IA."

but when 3 Gopher assistants leave, it's "no problem. Just guys chasing their dreams." Fine. Just don't pretend that you would react the same way if 3 coaches left a rival school. It is an issue. how big of an issue it becomes depends on who is hired to fill the openings.

My biggest concern would be recruiting. Recruiting is all about developing relationships. So do the new coaches now have to recruit different areas - meaning they have to develop new relationships?

by all accounts, Wilt, Patterson and the D-backs coach were solid recruiters. the on-field coaching is important, but you have to have talent to coach, and that comes down to recruiting.

if WI or IA had three assistant coaches leave for other jobs in a week, there would be a thread on Gopher Hole (probably started by Swingman) shouting about "coaching chaos at WI" - "Big Staff shakeup at IA."

but when 3 Gopher assistants leave, it's "no problem. Just guys chasing their dreams." Fine. Just don't pretend that you would react the same way if 3 coaches left a rival school. It is an issue. how big of an issue it becomes depends on who is hired to fill the openings.
2 down one to go

It's an issue if guys are making lateral moves it is not an issue when guys are getting promotions to coordinator roles from position coach roles.

I feel that way about Gopher coaches and I feel the same way about opposing team coaches.

It's an issue if guys are making lateral moves it is not an issue when guys are getting promotions to coordinator roles from position coach roles.

I feel that way about Gopher coaches and I feel the same way about opposing team coaches.
Similar concept to why it doesn't make a ton of sense to worry too much about losing players due to early entry into the draft--it may not be the best thing in the short term, but is an indicator of longer-term program health.

At least he will be ready if Rossi gets a HC job and we can hire him back.

This is no t a good thing losing all of these coaches

It's actually a sign of the program's progress. That's how college football works. Position coaches at successful programs get elevated to become coordinators at other P5 programs

They get tired of stroking PJ's ego. If you can't see that, you are probably blind.

They get tired of stroking PJ's ego. If you can't see that, you are probably blind.

So these guys don't have any career aspirations or goals to advance? They're simply just sick of their boss?

So these guys don't have any career aspirations or goals to advance? They're simply just sick of their boss?
I mean it makes perfect sense. Why settle for the rational explanation when it is so much easier to panic and make things up?

I mean sure these guys could have wanted to advance their careers by becoming coordinators....but that is boring....no, only possible explanation is that they couldn't stand Fleck anymore and wanted out.

The sky is falling....we are all doomed.....oh please bring back Kill with his staff of coaches that nobody wanted.... :)

We should hope the on field results lead to other schools poaching our coaches yearly.

Besides the obvious success that leads to coaches leaving, it helps Fleck recruit replacements. We want this to be a desirable place, for players AND coaches.

Top Bottom