Willie Mays dies at age 93

I will always remember The Catch. RIP Willie

1951 for the Minneapolis Millers:

35games - 149AB - 38R - 71H - 18 2B - 3 3B - 8 HR - 30 RBI - 14 BB - 10 K - slash line .477/.524/.799 OPS 1.323

went up to the Giants as a 20-yr old rookie - in 121 games hit .274 with 22 2B, 5 3B, 20 HR & 68 RBI

Say Hey!

I do have a feint memory of him wrapping up his career back in New York with the Mets.

Not much into small talk, but I did pony up to get his autograph at a Thunderbird Baseball Card Convention.

I had him sign one of these postcards:

Willie-Mays-Baseball-Hall-of-Fame-Plaque-Postcard__S_1__04484.1615998878.jpg

I previously posted this cool shot in honor of his birthday a while back:

A8F696A5-FADE-49AD-8BBF-2DFCA5B41B70.jpeg

Terry Cashman:

Talkin' Baseball (Willie, Mickey & the Duke)

He was selected for 24 ASG appearances. My goodness, Willie.

I have 1958? absolute mint Mays card. Anyone know how to submit this to a grading service? At minimum this is an 8 out of 10 grade.

Danny B will have someone on to speak about willie. Just not the guy he had on yesterday to talk about friedburg…. That guy was boring

Well, two, three the count with nobody on
He hit a high fly into the stand
Rounding third he was headed for home
It was a brown eyed handsome man
That won the game, it was a brown eyed handsome man

(note - Chuck Berry wrote this song in 1956, so it was not about Willie Mays. But it could have been....which is why Ken Burns used it in a segment about Mays in the "Baseball" documentary.)

Hit .300, 300 SBs, 300 HRs and ten Gold Gloves.

He’s only one in that club 🫨.

Lost almost 2 seasons due to military service during the Korean War. Solid chance he would have surpassed Ruth's 714.
When he returned to the majors after the military is when he started doing his basket catch. I wasn’t aware of that. Thought he had always done it.

Top Bottom