Will you be disappointed if other school's hire someone before us?

Sparlimb

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it will be time to panic, but I'd be very concerned if Colorado were to get a hire done first. Hopefully we'll have our new coach locked and loaded after the last game of his current team's regular season or before then for the unemployed guys. But if we start seeing head coaches falling to new teams and we're not in the first few, I'm going to really question the U's process. Here's hoping that doesn't happen.

Are you concerned that will happen?

I will be upset if Colorado hires a big name before us and we end up with a traveling salesman selling snake oil again (in other words another Brewster)

I don't care who anyone else hires. WE must make the correct hire. Problem is, there are NO guarantees.

It depends. I certainly won't be upset if Colorado hires a Calhoun/Sumlin/Hoke, etc and the Gophers hire from a higher tier of candidates. I am far more concerned with ending up with a coach like Brady Hoke than I am the timeline of the hire.

I won't be disappointed as long as something is demonstrated there that they have a candidate that they want and were waiting for that person. If somebody gets hired (say a Calhoun) and we end up with egg on our face because it looks like we were being cheap or non-aggressive in the process, then I would be disppointed and would be on the "Fire Maturi" bandwagon real quick. This is a hire they can't afford to screw up.

Yes

The whole point of moving Brewster out early was a recognition that change needed to happen prior to the end of the season or very early thereafter. We have had more time to contact and we should have been able to establish a relationship with the most suitable candidates prior to the end of the season. I would expect finalists be available prior to the end of the game next week.

I'd say it's a different answer for many of us. If they hire "our/my guy", then I'm going to be upset.
If they hire Hoke, Kill, Edsall or Shannon for instance I'd be happy.

I think we're going to have to wait for the NFL season to end so that the tight ends coach of the Kansas City Chiefs is available to interview...

/cheapshot

I don't care if the hire goes into the offseason as long as it's the right hire. If they hire someone next week, but it's Horton, then I'll be furious. If they wait four months and hire Trestman, I'll be furious.

The timing thing is a concern with potential recruits for next year, but the biggest issue is making sure they lock up the best candidate they can. If they need to wait a couple of weeks to do that -- or until Houston's season is over so they can hire Sumlin -- then I have no problem with the wait.

I think that potential recruits will wait, if they're told a coach has been hired, even is the formal annoucement is after the bowl games. I'm hoping that everything is in place by Dec 15. If it is and the annoucement is after the bowl season, it will mean that we landed a big fish, so to speak. Many times a coach that is going to leave will not be allowed to coach the bowl game. As long as the annoucement is after the season the chances are good it's a currently employed coach.

It depends. I certainly won't be upset if Colorado hires a Calhoun/Sumlin/Hoke, etc and the Gophers hire from a higher tier of candidates. I am far more concerned with ending up with a coach like Brady Hoke than I am the timeline of the hire.

Along with that would be if the Gophers had a serious chance for the one they hired. Not always a given.

The whole point of moving Brewster out early was a recognition that change needed to happen prior to the end of the season or very early thereafter. We have had more time to contact and we should have been able to establish a relationship with the most suitable candidates prior to the end of the season. I would expect finalists be available prior to the end of the game next week.

I just don't see how this is possible. No school is going to let their coach be available for interview or talks before the last game of their regular season. The process will become full speed the week after Thanksgiving.

The only thing firing Brewster early did is get the process going and stop the fans from booing the team off the field.

Top Bottom