Will Willie VanDeSteeg get drafted this weekend?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I imagine it will be a nervous weekend for Willie and his family. If rounds 6 and 7 roll around and his name hasn't been mentioned yet, it's often times better not to get drafted so he can be a rookie free agent and choose from a handful of interested teams that may be thin at his position.

Here is an interesting article on his mindset going into the draft...I apologize if it's already been posted:

http://www.glencoenews.com/Main.asp?SectionID=5&SubSectionID=281&ArticleID=22339

Go Gophers!!

not a chance

unless its the Vikings with a pity pick late in the draft

did he get invited to the combine in Indy?

I imagine it will be a nervous weekend for Willie and his family. If rounds 6 and 7 roll around and his name hasn't been mentioned yet, it's often times better not to get drafted so he can be a rookie free agent and choose from a handful of interested teams that may be thin at his position.

Here is an interesting article on his mindset going into the draft...I apologize if it's already been posted:

http://www.glencoenews.com/Main.asp?SectionID=5&SubSectionID=281&ArticleID=22339

Go Gophers!!

I understand that if he did not, his chances of being drafted are slim. I think that someone will take a chance on, but it may be as a free agent.

I really hope he's drafted, but it doesn't look like he will be. I've probably seen 10-15 7 round mock drafts and have never seen Willie's name. Only a handful of those mocks were from really reputable sources, but it still doesn't look good.

Neither the Glencoe article or the Strib article mentions Willie's pro day results, but I believe he ran a 4.8 40 which is not good (but not terrible either) for an undersized DE. I do think he had an impressive showing on the bench (28 reps if I recall correctly).

It was really sad to read Gil Brandt's Pro Day recap of Minnesota this year as he usually finds something good to say about several players from each BCS level school. Here's what he said this year:

Minnesota
Six NFL teams sent representatives to the University of Minnesota for its pro day on March 11, which was run by Kyle Childress, a Vikings intern and son of coach Brad Childress.

Six former Golden Gophers participated and 12 area teams sent players to work out, including Bemidji State and Augsburg College. Minnesota P Justin Kucek (5-11 5/8, 203 pounds) showed off his leg for scouts, but there wasn’t much buzz around any other Golden Gophers. The cupboard has been rather bare for the university in recent years, but coach Tim Brewster has the program headed in the right direction with a lot of young talent.

One player who turned some heads was S Jim Johnson from Minnesota-Duluth, which won the Division II title over Northwest Missouri State, 21-14. Johnson (6-1 7/8, 216 pounds), a defensive star for Minnesota-Duluth, ran the 40 in times of 4.63 and 4.64. He had a 30 1/2-inch vertical with times of 4.15 in the short shuttle and 7.01 in the three-cone drill. He had a 9-foot, 4-inch broad jump and had 15 repetitions of 225 pounds on the bench press.

By comparison, 11 NFL teams sent reps to North Dakota State. Hopefully the vastly improved recruiting will start to pay off.

If not by the fifth round, he would be better off not drafted. Then he can chose his team. Otherwise, I suspect he will be mid 6th round pick. No earlier.

I don't know if he'll be drafted, but he'll be in somebody's rookie camp in a couple of weeks.

Willie will get drafted in the 6th or 7th round

Vikings and Steelers like him enough that one of those two teams will draft
him in the 6th to 7th round.

Maybe my memory is bad, but since when do the Vikings "pity draft" gophers? The only guy i can think of was an OL about 4 yrs ago, who's name is escaping me, and he was an undrafted FA who was cut. The only reason this is sticking in my head is that the OL was on PA and Dubay's show when i was there

Vikings don't pity draft but they do invite more Gopher FAs to their camps than anyone else...Ukee Dozier, Cockerham, Haayer, Hosack, Sherels come to mind.

Vikings don't pity draft but they do invite more Gopher FAs to their camps than anyone else...Ukee Dozier, Cockerham, Haayer, Hosack, Sherels come to mind.
I'd wager that a lot of "local" teams invite former college players from the vicinity to camps.

athletic ability

Everette Pedescleaux has a better chance to make an NFL roster than Willie VanDesteeg. The NFL does not care about your college stats, they care about raw ability. Every coach believes they can coach raw talent into play makers even if they have had limited experience or success at the college level (except the QB position). Willie is slow, short, undersized and has zero upside. He is what he is and has reached his ceiling.

If they simply cared about raw ability then Lesnar would be on a pro team right now.

and what ability exactly does or did Lesner have? The ability to stick needles in his ass? Brock Lesner has a bad combination of lack of speed and lack of melanin. That will kill any athletic career before it starts

Say what you want, but he can get to the QB. Other than QBs, the position of need that everyone seems to point to is a pass-rushing DE. At worst, he'll be on a practice squad.

Who's better Lawrence, Aaron Kampman or Derrick Onwuachi?

Who's better: Audray Bruce or James Harrison? What about David Carr vs. Tom Brady? Two of those guys were #1 overall picks, so they must have clearly been the best players in the draft. It's about a lot more than measureables. Marvin Jones, FSU linebacker tested off the charts. #3 overall pick. Did next to nothing in the NFL. Tony Mandarich: Ditto. I could go on and on.

and what ability exactly does or did Lesner have? The ability to stick needles in his ass? Brock Lesner has a bad combination of lack of speed and lack of melanin. That will kill any athletic career before it starts

I'm not saying Lesnar is/was a good football player, but your comments are way off base.

When in Vikings training camp, he ran at 4.78 at 286 lbs. This less than four months after a serious motorcycle accident in which he broke his jaw and his left hand. That's basically the same size as a small NFL center, while still running a 4.7. Not to mention he benches about 500, squats about 700, and has a 35-inch vertical. So any concerns about his speed or lack of athletic ability are simply ill-founded.

By the way, nice racism in your post. I can't believe I'm the first one to say anything about it.

a white person talking about a white person is not racism, thanks for your concern though

By the way, nice racism in your post. I can't believe I'm the first one to say anything about it.

I saw lawrence21 was the last one to post on a forum about Willie, and I thought I'd stop by and see the latest drivel he has written about how white guys can't play football. It is laughable how knee-jerk his reactions are. He also has a strong bias towards highly rated players without accolades vs. walkons/lowly rated players who have performed. I was entertained to see you had written (dpodoll) the exact same thing I was thinking before I even read his post.

And by the way, perspective has no bearing on racism. I am white and I can be racist against white people. Lawrence21 you should practice thinking before typing. It'll do you good.

lack of melanin

I was just going to let it slide, but how you can you, with a straight face, say this is not racist?

You are saying (not even insinuating, just flat-out saying) that he is not black enough to be a good football player.

And saying that whites talking about other whites can't be racist is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Adolf Hitler ring a bell?

BS like this has no place on this, or any other, board.

Top Bottom