Will The Winning Streak Help Teague's Fundraising?

Iceland12

Reaction score
Year after year you read about how fundraising takes a jump when a team was a very successful season. This has been a very good season and everybody should be enjoying it, but it could be a great one depending on how the the last three games shake-out. Win a couple of them and its a great season. Win all three, including a Jan 1 Bowl and could it be a financially successful one?

Basketball recruiting my show that after visiting some of the best programs in the country, the thought of shooting hoops in a converted hallway isn't going to get it done. Maybe some improvements to football facilities coupled with the chance of playing somewhere in January every year could tip the scales for some of the guys Kill is going after too?

The question is how much of that $190 million will be coming in because of it?

Hope Barrerio asks Teague that when he interviews him now.

I think Lou Nanne will have a pretty big impact.

I think Lou Nanne will have a pretty big impact.

No doubt that Lou's involvement will have an impact, but will it be enough of an impact?

Would it be a good idea for Lou to bring Bud Grant on board with this?

No doubt that Lou's involvement will have an impact, but will it be enough of an impact?

Would it be a good idea for Lou to bring Bud Grant on board with this?

I guess I meant his personality and nearly full time involvement. Teague will pretty much let Lou run the thing. Bud wants to hunt and fish...

I guess I meant his personality and nearly full time involvement. Teague will pretty much let Lou run the thing. Bud wants to hunt and fish...

Yes, and a ton of people who hunt and fish have more tons of disposable income to share with the U of M athletics.

A win over Wisconsin would go a long way. Any idea when they plan on announcing anything on this front?

They are going to keep the fundraising number quiet unless they get a big number quickly. Yeah, I have imagine that fundraising could take a big leap if we beat Wisconsin

I'm surprised how infrequent positive information is delivered regarding athletic fundraising. When anything is promoted it has buzz. You hear about it in different places often. This whole endeavor is being done in secrecy and rumor. That's not the success leaves footprints path.

Say something positive each week. It's like somebody needs to remind them they are still doing this. A building component piece to be excited about. An actual Nanne announcement of involvement. The next week Harvey MacKay. The next week Dave Mona. The next week some story how some grandma died and left them $250,000... something, anything but keep the dream front and center. Silence is not helpful to promoting anything or marketing anything.

I'm surprised how infrequent positive information is delivered regarding athletic fundraising. When anything is promoted it has buzz. You hear about it in different places often. This whole endeavor is being done in secrecy and rumor. That's not the success leaves footprints path.

Say something positive each week. It's like somebody needs to remind them they are still doing this. A building component piece to be excited about. An actual Nanne announcement of involvement. The next week Harvey MacKay. The next week Dave Mona. The next week some story how some grandma died and left them $250,000... something, anything but keep the dream front and center. Silence is not helpful to promoting anything or marketing anything.

Hopefully they will get the ball rolling on this. Easy to build some steam with this when they keep sharing information.

Winning will definitely help. When we are struggling, it can give donors the impression of "these idiots aren't even getting the most out of what they have, I'm not going to bankroll more resources for them to squander." If we do well, it can change the narrative to "wow, look at how we are competing with some of the top teams in the conference even without the best facilities, imagine the level they could take it to if we gave them enough to really get some state of the art stuff."

When it rains on my grass it doesn't turn it green. Are there more steps?

Step 1: Make rain on grass
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit!

Yes, and a ton of people who hunt and fish have more tons of disposable income to share with the U of M athletics.

Dr. Don. Do you know how the a Grand Canyon got started? Bud Grant dropped a penny in a gopher hole. My wife went to school with Kathy Grant, Bud's daughter. They were in the same sorority together. She always complained how tight he was with the dollar. If it wouldn't been for her mom Pat, she wouldn't have had any clothes on her back. My wife said Kathy was always borrowing money from the girls in the sorority. Here's another story about Bud. Before it burned down last year he had a cabin and a parcel of land near Bayfield. A good friend of mine knows a guy who runs a mom and pop store near Bayfield. Grant us to come in there and look at the nudity magazines taking them out of their plastic covers and gazed at them for 10 or so minutes and then try to put them back in the sleeve. One day he confronted Grant about it and Grant threw the magazine down and stormed out of the store. He hasNEVER done a thing for the U or given a DIME!

Does Flip have enough influence with Glen Taylor where he would be making a big donation?

Good question. Taylor did give $10M to build the b-ball arena for Minnesota State.

"The question is how much of that $190 million will be coming in because of it?"

So how much has came in and when is Teague going tell us about it?

No it's the pilot Deke.

etrade-baby-commercials-airplane-i14.jpg

In college fundraising winning is like chicken soup. You don't know if it helps, but it couldn't hurt:)

So when I "Gave To the Max" to the U of M Athletic dept today, did it go toward this? Or towards general fund?

Winning helps fundraising. How much? Unknown, but $190MM is still a ridiculous, far fetched goal that should have never been presented. Laughable.

Focus should be on basketball & football practice facilities first. Save the pipe dream talk for drunken discussions with big $ people. Goals are great to set - and some reasonable ones should be set (i.e., immediate basketball & football needs) - but to say dumb stuff like we're going to raise "$190MM in private funds and we don't know what our priorities are and we don't know if it's really feasible" is almost shocking.

Top Bottom