Will the Real Tim Brewster Stand Up!

gold04

Reaction score
I remember the game like yesterday when we lost to Michigan on that infamous day in the Metrodome. I remember driving home thinking, I can't believe we lost this football game. It was one of many loses that occured in big games with Mase at the helm. After the Tech game Maturi had enough and Mason was let go.

Pretty soon Maturi brought in this lifelong assistant coach who was a big talker. All he talked about was taking Gopher Nation to the Rose Bowl. Gopher fans started to board the train with the next stop to Pasadena! In order to get to Pasedena we knew that winning those big games along the way in building this program was a must.

After a disasterous first season (1-11), the next season and a half has been Mason like with Brewster. Brewster has led this team to a 11-8 record and won the games he should but lost all the Big games we played.

Fast forwarding to the present, we have had a decent run with Brewster the last 19 games (11-8) but it's time we start winning the big games. PSU, OSU and Iowa give us three big games left this season.

I know some of you are thinking we cannot win these games. They are on the road and we are playing in a Snow storm tommorrow. Great coaches get the most out of their players and get them to accomplish great things. We are not asking a 1-11 team to win big road games but a team that has gone 11-8 the last 19 games they have played. It's time we start winning some big games. This team is a senoir led team that is underated. It's time Brewster starts turning another corner in getting this team to the ultimate goal of once again in winning a national championship.

I still think Brewster might be the right man for the job but it's time he takes the bull by the horns. If he truly is the coach that Maturi believes who can take us to Pasadena and beyond, Will the Real Tim Brewster Stand Up!

You Don't Have Clue

I remember the game like yesterday when we lost to Michigan on that infamous day in the Metrodome. I remember driving home thinking, I can't believe we lost this football game. It was one of many loses that occured in big games with Mase at the helm. After the Tech game Maturi had enough and Mason was let go.

Pretty soon Maturi brought in this lifelong assistant coach who was a big talker. All he talked about was taking Gopher Nation to the Rose Bowl. Gopher fans started to board the train with the next stop to Pasadena! In order to get to Pasedena we knew that winning those big games along the way in building this program was a must.

After a disasterous first season (1-11), the next season and a half has been Mason like with Brewster. Brewster has led this team to a 11-8 record and won the games he should but lost all the Big games we played.

Fast forwarding to the present, we have had a decent run with Brewster the last 19 games (11-8) but it's time we start winning the big games. PSU, OSU and Iowa give us three big games left this season.

I know some of you are thinking we cannot win these games. They are on the road and we are playing in a Snow storm tommorrow. Great coaches get the most out of their players and get them to accomplish great things. We are not asking a 1-11 team to win big road games but a team that has gone 11-8 the last 19 games they have played. It's time we start winning some big games. This team is a senoir led team that is underated. It's time Brewster starts turning another corner in getting this team to the ultimate goal of once again in winning a national championship.

I still think Brewster might be the right man for the job but it's time he takes the bull by the horns. If he truly is the coach that Maturi believes who can take us to Pasadena and beyond, Will the Real Tim Brewster Stand Up!

You don't have a clue what goes on in a D1 program. All you know is you want to win more games for your own reasons. Support the program we have and the coach we have. You would pass out just following Brewster around for a day.

Tough Crowd

I think what Honeyocker MEANT to say was:

"I am not sure if you understand all the problems Tim Brewster is faced with. You make a number
of good comments, but I think it's important to support the coach and the program as best
as you can. You would be very surprised at how much Tim Brewster accomplishes on any
given day. God bless you and all the other Gopher fans.

Brewster only has 2 recruiting classes under his belt calm down.......

nobody ever accused Wacker of having a lack of energy. So i don't see what the connection is between being able to put in 20 hour days and establishing a winning football program. Even Mason put in long hours, other than when he was on the golf course.

As illeagle noted, Brewster has only 2 real recruiting classes under his belt, and Glen definitely left the cupboard more bare for his successor than what he inherited from Wacker. But Mason did start winning notable games his 3rd year, so the comparison isn't totally unfair.

if psu covers the spread today does that mean Brewster is a failure. No. But building a football program is sort of like global warming. you can't draw conclusions from just one data point, but you have to look at a lot of things over a period of time. In that regard Brewster appears to have the program moving in the right direction, but having a signature W - or 2 or 3 - is definitely a missing piece.

Will the real goldO4 please lie down, take a nap...

and before the game, check your blood pressure! Many Ghers...me included...are worried about you. Warmest regards.

This is a tough crowd...

...we have high expectations, but like most people (especially Minnesotans), we don't have a lot of patience.

A coach has to have a system. Brewster's system is:

1) Defense wins championships;
2) Control the line of scrimmage;
3) Give your team opportunities for game changing plays;
4) Teach a "killer instict" (TRY TO WIN);
5) Recruit the best athletes you can get and find them a spot to succeed.

Mason's was:

1) Offense wins games;
2) Control the line of scrimmage on offense;
3) Build a big lead;
4) and give the other team plenty of leeway in the second half (TRY NOT TO LOSE);
5) Recruit because I have to.

This was a big culture shift for not only the football team, but the athletic department (read: Maturi). We have cultivated a LOSER for 30 years. We have been good at it. We've had no home field advantage, no culture, no swagger. It takes far more than 2 1/2 seasons to undo the last 30. As Brew says "We tried it the other way--it didn't work."

Whether he will succeed is still unknown. I know that my expectations are higher than ever.

I ramble, because I am. It is a good thing that we care.

...we have high expectations, but like most people (especially Minnesotans), we don't have a lot of patience.

Speak for yourself. I've been waiting patiently to get back to the Rose Bowl since 1962. It would be since 1963 if the refs hadn't screwed us by calling the roughing penalty on Bobby Bell on VanderKelen. I can still hear the outrage and anguish in Ray's voice, and I've hated the Badgers ever since.

I've seen enough positives with Brewer that makes me think he might actually do it. Hope it's sooner rather than later because after a while I might not give a damn any longer. Only the guys waiting for Godot have been more patient.

Top Bottom