Will the real Jedd Fisch please stand up!

gold04

Reaction score
When you look at the three phases in football (offense, defense, and special teams) heading into this season for our beloved Gophers, our offense seemed to have the most talent. We had a lot of playmakers (Gray, Weber, Decker, Hayo, Whaley and Green). Plus we had this up and coming coach that never had been an offensive coordinator but had been around the great offensive minds in football today (Billick, Shannahan, and Spurerrior). Fisch was a guy that had a big upside.

Fisch was a guy that was going to do two things for our offense. One is give us balance. We'd be able to run and pass the ball against our opponents. Secondly with the talent we had, Fisch would have an offense that would utilize it's explosive players. Our offense had the potential to be very, very good.

Our offense this year has been dreadful. Averaging only 320 yards a game. Bob Griese even said we are struggling way too much with the talent we have on offense.

Right now I know people are getting our their excuse computers on why we have struggled so much. The excuses are Fisch is a first time offensive coordinator, the O-line, and new offensive schemes. Since we are midway through the season it's time to put those computers away. Fisch is a big boy and it's time he figures out how to get this offense going.

I see some things that Fisch has failed to do and he needs to start doing this weekend.

The first thing is get the ball in more playmakers hands. Right now the only playmaker consistently getting the ball is Decker. Why not committ in giving the ball to Whaley, who clearly is our best running back, about 15 times a game? Why not let Gray lead this team on some offensive series instead of a play here or there? Why not get the ball to other talented wide recievers on this team who are being singled covered? Get the ball in other playamkers hands beside Decker.

The second thing Fisch needs to do is be more creative. When we say be more creative, right away people start thinking of trick plays. That's not what I mean. How about doing somethings different then what we typically do. Let Weber roll out to give him sometime to throw the ball for once. Design plays that take advantage of the single coveraging our wide recievers are facing. With the bad weather this weekend work on some option plays this week that Gray runs with Whaley being the pitch man. Let's be a little more creative on how we can run our offense more effectively.

I know some of you are thinking if we get the ball in more playmakers hands or get more creative, we could make more mistakes. Who cares? We are expected to lose anyways. Do you think if we play the same conservative game plan as Penn State does, we'll be able to out slug them? No way, we are not facing Northwestern or Purdue. This is why we are paying Coach Fisch the big bucks. His great offensive mind is suppose to figure out how we can out match the Penn State defense.

Right now we don't know if Fisch is the answer for offensive coordinator on this team. If by chance Fisch really does have that great offensive mind that Brewster thinks he has, then it's time Fisch starts taking the bull by the horns, and leads this offense to the next level. Will the real Jedd Fisch Please Stand Up!

By playmakers I'm assuming you mean Decker since he's the only legit playmaker ready to make plays when the year started.

Let's not forget that in big ten play we're leading the big ten in points.

I think Fisch being new to the Team is just now figuring these guys out that we've been watching for a couple seasons now.......

We've been much better on Offense these last couple games and let's not forget that our average yards a game also has a lot to do with great starting field position.......

Mason's Offenses would hardly ever show up on the road against a team like Penn State in a game like what we have Saturday. I think this will be the most important game in Brewsters career so far.......

I always laugh

our running backs would not start on very many big 10 teams

our offensive line would not start on any teams

our wr's outside of decker would not start for many teams

and our qb is not playing well

IT"S CALLED A LACK OF TALENT.......but when you just do this and this and this and this.....it wont matter about your lack of talent.....LMAO

I always laugh

our running backs would not start on very many big 10 teams

our offensive line would not start on any teams

our wr's outside of decker would not start for many teams

and our qb is not playing well

IT"S CALLED A LACK OF TALENT

I agree, with one caveat- if Whaley and the run game can build off of last week and keep it rolling, I expect this all to change. Up until now, against a real defense we had no great threat except chucking it up to Decker. The running game wasn't a legitimate issue for opposing defenses, and they could pin their ears back and go after Weber AND double cover Decker. If (and I know its a big if) Whaley can keep getting the ball and moving the ball, I need to see Fisch and Weber take advantage of that and make use of some of the weapons on offense that will definitely open up.

This is a weird spot for the offense...I really think we're about to see the Gophers find their feature back, and I think over the course of the season he'll be successful (this is just off gut, no inside knowledge). That could dramatically change the face of our offense.
Unfortunately, we're going into two of the best defenses we'll see this year. I'm curious to see how it will shake out.

When you look at the three phases in football (offense, defense, and special teams) heading into this season for our beloved Gophers, our offense seemed to have the most talent. We had a lot of playmakers (Gray, Weber, Decker, Hayo, Whaley and Green). Plus we had this up and coming coach that never had been an offensive coordinator but had been around the great offensive minds in football today (Billick, Shannahan, and Spurerrior). Fisch was a guy that had a big upside.

I know some of you are thinking if we get the ball in more playmakers hands or get more creative, we could make more mistakes. Who cares? We are expected to lose anyways. Do you think if we play the same conservative game plan as Penn State does, we'll be able to out slug them? No way, we are not facing Northwestern or Purdue. This is why we are paying Coach Fisch the big bucks. His great offensive mind is suppose to figure out how we can out match the Penn State defense.

You originally made me almost stop reading with, "our offense seemed to have the most talent," but then I had to agree because of the qualifying, "heading into this season." However, that's clearly not the case. Some of the talent has yet to be seen on the field. I have enough faith in the coaches to believe they're not ready or maybe they're not as good as expected.

Especially given Weber's inconsistency, I think our offense is heading the right way. The line play seems better although we still have a hell of a time protecting against a quick outside rush. It would be nice if one guy stepped up, but there is a semblance of a running game now. I hope Weber continues to run since he's more effective, and I hope he starts looking more for other receivers. I think it's very rare for a unit to suddenly put it all together and change in one week. Eliminating mistakes, gaining confidence, and achieving exactly the right timing takes time to develop. This week will be a good chance to see if we really are heading the right way or if I'm being delusional, (which being a Minnesota sports fan is a constant danger.)

Couldn't disagree more about going the wide open, gambling route this week, however. I think our best chance is to be patient. You don't go into a shell, but you can't put yourself into long yardage situations against Penn State in Happy Valley. It won't be pretty then. One long scoring drive, a couple of big plays on offense, a defensive touchdown, and points from special teams coupled with them screwing up on offense is what I'm hoping for. I certainly don't want him to have the big one, but I really want to see Joe Pa scowling and sputtering a lot Saturday.

per gold04: "...Who cares? We are expected to lose anyways..."

From out here...seems like some of the usual decades-old, high-anxiety, depressing, whiny, grumpy, defeatist Minny attitude before the GGs even step on the field..."Woe is me, we're perpetual bottom feeders, we're losers, we'll choke, we'll self-destruct, mail-it-in, no chance...who cares"...

Fortunately for believing GHers, U and forward-looking fans in the State of Minnesota, there will be a group of talented, aggressive and optimistic coaches and young men in Happy Valley Saturday representing the U/state very enthusiastically...

...confident and expecting to win!!!

GO GOPHERS!!!
GO GOPHERS!!!
GO GOPHERS!!!

Let's not forget that in big ten play we're leading the big ten in points.

That is a good stat. I did not know that.

But I think it's also important to remember that our D/ST has scored a TD in each of the last two games. If you take away those points, it doesn't paint our offense in as favorable of a light.

OSU also scored 3 D/ST TDs against Wisconsin alone, but we can't get by with a limited offense like they can.

My take going in was the OL would definitely be a work in progress. Struggle at first, inconsistent, then slowly find itself as the season progressed and maybe be effective at seasons end. (Assuming everyone staye in one piece.

That has happened to a point as we have seen a better product the last 2 1/2 games. We will certainly know more the next two weeks. I will be pleased if we can average 4.5 yds a carry the next two games. But if Weber is horrible that will be tough to do.

Assuming this holds true, Weber has to produce better results as well. Fisch knows how to draw up plays. Its all about execution and making the best calls.

I'll put a stake in the ground and say that our identity is misdirection. Screens, reverses, and lots of motion to make the defense we are doing one thing when we are going to do something else.

I have no idea if that will hold water at the end of the season, but that is my feeling so far about what our offensive identity is.

I'll put a stake in the ground and say that our identity is misdirection. Screens, reverses, and lots of motion to make the defense we are doing one thing when we are going to do something else.

Not.

When it comes to creativity, I have to say that I like Fisch's use of formations. I've seen some looks on O that are not what I've come to expect from the Gophers. I've also liked how he's used motion/shifts to move Decker around in the formation, often to get a 1 on 1 look.

Mulligan,

Is Weber rolling out a gambling type offense. Designing plays that has Decker taking most of the secondary out of the way so we can throw to our other Wide Recievers in single coverage a gambling offense. Gray running the option might be but throwing new wrinkles at defenses can really help. I think the offense needs to have this controlled agression. We don't go overboard but we can't play super conservative either. If we play super conservative, we are not good enough to beat Penn State.

Our identity right now is our wish bone attack!

Isn't it a bit ironic?

that the two threads asking for the "Real" Adam Weber and the "Real" Jedd Fisch show up are started by someone who uses a moniker to cloak their "Real" identity?

No, I'm not suggesting that everyone has to use their actual name -- I just find it a bit humorous that the call-outs are from a contrived identity.

And yes, I'm aware it's the Internet and everyone uses monikers and boards are intended to let people vent, etc, etc, etc. It's still pretty funny to me.

Our offense this year has been dreadful.

Yeah, how dare our offense lead the Big Ten in scoring!! The shame!

SCORING OFFENSE IN BIG TEN GAMES ONLY:

1. MINNESOTA 32.7 pts/game (13 TDS)
2. OHIO STATE 31.3 pts/game (11 TDS)
3. MICHIGAN 28.0 pts/game (11 TDS)
4. WISCONSIN 27.3 pts/game (10 TDS)
5. MICHIGAN STATE 26.7 pts/game (8 TDS)
6. IOWA 25.5 pts/game (5 TDS)
6. NORTHWESTERN 25.5 pts/game (5 TDS)
8. INDIANA 23.5 pts/game (5 TDS)
9. PENN STATE 22.5 pts/game (6 TDS)
10. PURDUE 20.5 pts/game (5 TDS)
11. ILLINOIS 10.3 pts/game (4 TDS)

I understand it isn't quite as simple as that, since we have a couple of defensive TDs and a blocked FG TD and a shortened field a time or two, but still, let's put it in perspective. We have scored enough points to be unbeaten in the Big Ten, and there are some other offenses that are far worse off than us.

gold04;

Do you seriously think Fisch and Brewster haven't been all over Weber to try to get the ball to other receivers? For whatever reason, it's not happening. As for rolling Weber out? Yes, to take a shot downfield or to set up a certain play. I don't see him being that effective doing it a lot. He makes some awful throws on the move, and when he's had a lot of time this year, he isn't making great decisions either. My sense is quick drops and quick reads and quick passes.

Doesn't matter anyway. Even though we're both obviously great offensive mavens, I doubt either one of us is going to be called soon for advice.

Yeah, how dare our offense lead the Big Ten in scoring!! The shame!

SCORING OFFENSE IN BIG TEN GAMES ONLY:

1. MINNESOTA 32.7 pts/game (13 TDS)
2. OHIO STATE 31.3 pts/game (11 TDS)
3. MICHIGAN 28.0 pts/game (11 TDS)
4. WISCONSIN 27.3 pts/game (10 TDS)
5. MICHIGAN STATE 26.7 pts/game (8 TDS)
6. IOWA 25.5 pts/game (5 TDS)
6. NORTHWESTERN 25.5 pts/game (5 TDS)
8. INDIANA 23.5 pts/game (5 TDS)
9. PENN STATE 22.5 pts/game (6 TDS)
10. PURDUE 20.5 pts/game (5 TDS)
11. ILLINOIS 10.3 pts/game (4 TDS)

I understand it isn't quite as simple as that, since we have a couple of defensive TDs and a blocked FG TD and a shortened field a time or two, but still, let's put it in perspective. We have scored enough points to be unbeaten in the Big Ten, and there are some other offenses that are far worse off than us.
Yeah, as you said I think there are some holes in that. In the interest of getting a broader picture of the offense I've compiled some other statistics that I think are illuminating:
Code:
THIRD DOWN CONVERSION
 1. Penn State     51.3%
 2. Wisconsin      50.6%
 3. Northwestern   49.0%
 4. Iowa           42.2%
 5. Michigan State 41.8%
 6. Purdue         41.5%
 7. Michigan       38.8%
 8. Ohio State     37.7%
 9. Illinois       36.6%
[b]10. MINNESOTA      36.4%[/b]
11. Indiana        36.0%
Code:
FIRST DOWNS PER GAME
 1. Penn State     22.8
 2. Michigan State 22.3
 3. Northwestern   22.0
 4. Wisconsin      21.2
 5. Purdue         19.7
 6. Michigan       19.0
    Iowa           19.0
 8. Indiana        18.0
    Ohio State     18.0
10. Illinois       17.8
[b]11. MINNESOTA      15.8[/b]
Code:
PASSING YARDS PER GAME
 1. Michigan State 280.3
 2. Purdue         265.0
 3. Northwestern   260.0
 4. Penn State     238.8
 5. Iowa           232.8
 6. Indiana        226.0
 7. Wisconsin      221.7
[b] 8. MINNESOTA      205.2[/b]
 9. Michigan       179.2
10. Illinois       174.0
11. Ohio State     166.2
Code:
RUSHING YARDS PER GAME
 1. Wisconsin      200.7
 2. Michigan       197.3
 3. Penn State     188.7
 4. Ohio State     172.2
 5. Illinois       167.6
 6. Purdue         145.2
 7. Michigan State 143.5
 8. Iowa           130.2
 9. Northwestern   122.8
    Indiana        122.8
[b]11. MINNESOTA      114.5[/b]
Code:
YARDS PER OFFENSIVE PLAY
  1. Penn State     6.46
  2. Michigan State 6.17
  3. Purdue         6.05
  4. Wisconsin      5.87
  5. Michigan       5.55
  6. Ohio State     5.49
  7. Iowa           5.36
[b]  8. MINNESOTA      5.30[/b]
  9. Indiana        5.21
 10. Illinois       5.18
 11. Northwestern   5.05
Code:
YARDS PER PASS ATTEMPT
 1. Michigan State 8.37
 2. Wisconsin      7.82
 3. Penn State     7.66
 4. Northwestern   7.36
 5. Purdue         7.33
 6. Ohio State     7.28
 7. Iowa           7.20
[b]    MINNESOTA      7.20[/b]
 9. Michigan       6.85
10. Indiana        6.65
11. Illinois       5.88
Code:
YARDS PER CARRY
 1. Penn State     5.39
 2. Michigan       4.74
 3. Wisconsin      4.60
 4. Illinois       4.60
 5. Purdue         4.58
 6. Ohio State     4.43
 7. Michigan State 4.08
 8. Indiana        3.72
 9. Iowa           3.68
[b]10. MINNESOTA      3.60[/b]
11. Northwestern   3.03

Can you add average starting position? That is only a factor in some of those stats listed above, but it would be interesting to see.

Can you add average starting position? That is only a factor in some of those stats listed above, but it would be interesting to see.
Let me see what I can find. NCAA stats are kinda all over the place.

Khaliq, I think you may want to fix your coding for passing yards and rushing yards per game.

I think I fixed everything now. :)

eta: monk10 I just went through the NCAA's central statistics repository and I don't see anything for starting field position unfortunately. I'll nose around some more and see if I can cobble it together from associated stats, but it looks like a no go.

No, I'm pretty sure Penn St. isn't passing for 427.5 yds/game. Also, that list isn't even in correct numerical order.
Yikes. You're right. That's fixed now above and here's the corrected table. Thanks!
Code:
PASSING YARDS PER GAME
 1. Michigan State 280.3
 2. Purdue         265.0
 3. Northwestern   260.0
 4. Penn State     238.8
 5. Iowa           232.8
 6. Indiana        226.0
 7. Wisconsin      221.7
[b] 8. MINNESOTA      205.2[/b]
 9. Michigan       179.2
10. Illinois       174.0
11. Ohio State     166.2

I think I fixed everything now. :)

eta: monk10 I just went through the NCAA's central statistics repository and I don't see anything for starting field position unfortunately. I'll nose around some more and see if I can cobble it together from associated stats, but it looks like a no go.

Thanks for trying.

Do people agree that Yards per play would dictate potential big play ability coupled with the mitigation of big losses. Anyone else looking at that and thinking PSU can strike quickly at anytime (yes I know they played the sisters of the poor, the brothers of the blind, and the Roseville JV team).

When Dunbar came, I thought we'd see those great Northwestern plays. We got nothing. I'll never forget the first scrimmage at the dome when Dunbar took over, Weber's first time playing for UM in the Dome and how horrible the offense looked. BORING. And Michael Floyd was sitting in the end zone groaning, and he must have made up his mind to go to South Bend that day. Anyway, I was watching an old Northwestern game on BigTen Network the other day and the plays were fantastic. Then I frealized Dunbar wasn't the coordinator during that period.

Now we have Fisch. the same boring plays, just different. You watch Cincinnati play and you marvel at the creativity of the offense. They bring in the backup qb and he runs 70 yards for a td. It was a great response to a blitz. Whatever happened to the one good play Dunbar had, Weber option pitching to Decker?

I blame Weber for most of our ills, but Fisch hasn't looked that strong. And Schoodles" Big 10 scoring leader stat is so misleading. How many of those points came off turnovers? Think Northwestern where they fumbled deep in their territory. The Sherels return, the 5 tds against Purdue all off turnovers.

Top Bottom