Will Maturi now schedule the University of North Dakota "Flickertails"

I would rather have them play one of the Dakota schools than Fla. Int'l or NW louisana State or some other school from a place where there is no interest, atl least the Dakotas would bring in some fans and a little more interest.

who says none of us have interest in playing schools like USF, FIU, Miami (Ohio), Bowling Green? that is an assumption. i was born and raised in minnesota and would much rather watch a game against those schools than one against NDSU, USD, SDSU. at least you can recruit a good number of guys from states like florida, ohio, louisiana, etc. there isn't too much coming out of the dakotas as far as top level D1 football talent.

First of for the new nicknames for UND I propose the "University of North Dakota NCAA Sucks" or something along those lines.

I also think if the Gophers are going to play a 1-AA school it might as well be UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU because it simply adds a little bit to an otherwise boring game. My idea would be to put them on a 4 year rotation. Then play a USC, Texas, etc. From there you can make your schudule more difficult or easy by simply without alot of extra hassle.

I do find it amazing that somebody could have a problem with Minnesota being NDSU's opponent of choice. That is tremendous amount of respect shown to your school and instead of being happy about that you spit in our face. I don't get it.

Have to looked at the Bison boards? Do you really want to get into who has been more respectful? The problem is that no one could or should give the Bison the respect that many of the Bison fans demanded. God doesn't even demand that much respect.

The vast majority have no problem with playing the Dakotas. However, it would be a bad policy to play any one of the 6 FCS schools within a 5-hour drive of Minneapolis every year. No FBS team would do that.

And obviously Minnesota is NDSU opponent of choice. The teams are half Minnesotan. The athletes are always going to want to play against Minnesota.

But for Minnesota's part, you might notice that they schduled NDSU again fouryears after the last time. This is by design. It allows Bohl to tell all of his recruits that they will play the Gophers. No other FBS does that.

All I want is a game every four or five years, I think it is good thing for NDSU to play some of the other regional teams. We are playing Iowa State this year and in 2014 or 2015. I know our AD has been trying to land a game with Wisconsin. I'm not sure if Bohl wants to play Nebraska though.

All I want is a game every four or five years, I think it is good thing for NDSU to play some of the other regional teams. We are playing Iowa State this year and in 2014 or 2015. I know our AD has been trying to land a game with Wisconsin. I'm not sure if Bohl wants to play Nebraska though.

well sure you do! and why....because like goldmember said the U of M is basically providing that "free" recruiting tool for your coach and football team to try and "reload" with a fresh crop of minnesota and other regional freshman. and like he said no other FBS team seems to do that for an FCS school - let alone one from a completely separate state - which in return doesn't provide anything of substantial use for the U of M in terms of their BCS ranking, recruits, state population, financial benefits, national tv exposure, etc, etc, etc.

i will say over and over again until i am blue in the face that playing the dakota schools DOES NOTHING of any magnitude for the U of M other than make a bunch of people from the dakotas happy that they get to take a road trip to Minneapolis and get drunk while they are here, which should not be our problem to deal with at all.

you seem like a decent poster fargobison so my "rant" is not directed at you personally. i just have no real interest in the games against the dakota schools because there is no REAL benefit for the U of M.

I think the Iowa schools do it with UNI, but that it is definitely a different situation.

Every FBS team is playing these games and Minnesota is better off playing the local FCS teams vs FCS teams from Florida or Ohio that nobody cares about. If you wanted to play an all-FBS schedule I would understand that, NDSU for example will not schedule DII schools, but if you are going to play an FCS team your best value is with local schools. That is all I am saying.

The value for Minnesota should be is that it is a garaunteed home game with no return, it is rather cheap, it is more interesting game than some FCS team that nobody knows about, and it should be a win that gets you one step closer to bowl eligibility.

I'm sure it isn't the most interesting game unless you have a Dakota connection, but if the alternative is Bethune Cookman or Northwestern State does that really matter?

I think the Iowa schools do it with UNI, but that it is definitely a different situation.

I honestly don't think that's smart for the Iowas to play UNI. I can understand playing them once a every few years, but not every year.

who says none of us have interest in playing schools like USF, FIU, Miami (Ohio), Bowling Green? that is an assumption. i was born and raised in minnesota and would much rather watch a game against those schools than one against NDSU, USD, SDSU. at least you can recruit a good number of guys from states like florida, ohio, louisiana, etc. there isn't too much coming out of the dakotas as far as top level D1 football talent.

I don't think you're making a fair comparison here Bronko. USF is a Big East team that was ranked at #2 just 2 seasons ago. Miami and Bowling Green have both had strong seasons for MAC schools recently. If the U was committed to avoiding games against FCS schools I'd agree with you. Otherwise your point is moot.

The value for Minnesota should be is that it is a garaunteed home game with no return, it is rather cheap, it is more interesting game than some FCS team that nobody knows about, and it should be a win that gets you one step closer to bowl eligibility.

I'm sure it isn't the most interesting game unless you have a Dakota connection, but if the alternative is Bethune Cookman or Northwestern State does that really matter?

FB makes some good points here. If the game is going to be against a FCS anyway why wouldn't we want it to be against a local school?

Feel free to rail against scheduling down a level. I wish we never played down a level again and filled the slot with a MAC, WAC, or MWC opponent (or god forbid, a low level BCS team). But those schools want home and home deals whereas FCS schools just want money. It sucks but I'm willing to accept the realities of the situation since Brew and the U are clearly willing to upgrade the rest of the NC schedule with the likes of USC.

I wish the NCAA didn't allow teams to schedule 1AA schools. It only hurts the smaller 1A programs like the Sun Belt, WAC, CUSA, etc that are actually trying to make it. Instead of getting the BCS teams looking to schedule a game against them, the BCS teams are looking to the South Dakota's and Murray States. If the NCAA cared 1 bit about the integrity of the smaller 1A programs they would put a stop to this. Unfortunately, they don't.

Personally I'd rather play the Florida Atlantics than the North Dakota State's because they are doing their best to play with the big boys.

I wish the NCAA didn't allow teams to schedule 1AA schools. It only hurts the smaller 1A programs like the Sun Belt, WAC, CUSA, etc that are actually trying to make it. Instead of getting the BCS teams looking to schedule a game against them, the BCS teams are looking to the South Dakota's and Murray States. If the NCAA cared 1 bit about the integrity of the smaller 1A programs they would put a stop to this. Unfortunately, they don't.

Personally I'd rather play the Florida Atlantics than the North Dakota State's because they are doing their best to play with the big boys.

very good, valid points. i agree with you.

The small 1A's brought it on themselves. They don't really want to play the major D1-A's and have been demanding more and more and more as a way of avoiding these games. But most of them still suck and generate absolutely no interest among fans.

Nowadays, Boise State, for instance, is willing to play one BCS conference opponent, and they want one in return for a road game.

It doesn't hurt the smaller I-A schools. Adding the 12th game has only increased the demand for non-conference games. The smaller I-A schools are demanding more money because they can get it. Since demand is so high that the smaller I-A schools are taking in far more money for playing non-conference games, that looks like it has been pretty good for these schools.

If games against I-AA opponents were banned, the cost to bring in an opponent would skyrocket - and besides, who would the smaller I-A schools schedule if they wanted a home NC game?

Top Bottom