Will Johnson

I don't know where we sit on Johnson's list, but I think McGarry was thrown to at least five times (maybe six) last weekend and a few of those throws were down the field. Hope that relieves any worries he may have had (if he had any) about how Kill's offense uses the tight end.

Went To the Osseo v Wayzata game, I think Osseo threw to him once..this is after they were up 7-0... What a waste.

Season ticket holder next to us, who's son plays with Will, says it looks like Minnesota, because they are the only one's still offering for him to play TE.

Season ticket holder next to us, who's son plays with Will, says it looks like Minnesota, because they are the only one's still offering for him to play TE.
Let's hope that this is accurate information he'll look good in maroon & gold.

I think he would fit in fantastic as a TE with Kill's offense. They really utilize a blocking tight end, so having an athletic 270 lb tight end would be excellent.

Really? All his other offers are for OT? That is good to hear. I wonder what the status of his Iowa offer is (position and how firm it is)?

Too tall to play TE. He'll get moved.

Unless he's sweet, of course.

Too tall to play TE. He'll get moved.

Unless he's sweet, of course.

Rob Gronkowski is a 6-7, 264 pound TE for the Patriots. If Will Johnson has the receiving skills, no reason he can't play TE at 6-7, 245.

I see no reason to not play him at TE, that'd be a nice target for any QB.

So, hopefully he's sweet!

Scott Chandler who played TE for Iowa is 6-7. Besides Spaeth and Chandler, other notable tall (> 6-5) TEs in the pros include: John Carlson (6-5), Jermichael Finley (6-5), Kellen Davis (6-7), Jermaine Gresham (6-5), Todd Heap (6-5), Evan Moore (6-6), Brandon Pettigrew (6-5), Heath Miller (6-5), Kyle Rudolph (6-6), Jeremy Shockey (6-5), and Jason Witten (6-6).

I'm not saying Johnson belongs in the same category as the guys I've listed above, but it's not like his height disqualifies him from the position. From what I've seen of him on film, he looks to have some quicks, but that's against fellow high-schoolers. He's the kind of guy who probably should stay at TE until he plays himself off it and hopefully, he never would.

TE has become a real hybrid position at both the college and pro levels. They come in all shapes and sizes and their use depends almost wholly on formation and situation.

Heaven forbid he gets an opportunity to play TE! He would learn the basic blocking schemes of the line and if in the future he gets too big he could always make the transition to OT. There's nothing wrong with being 6-7 or 6-8, its if he gets 275-300 that would force the move.

I don't care what position he comes here to play - just get him here. If it makes sense to move him, move him. Honestly, he seems to be a pretty average tight end. But he's massive.

I have watched Will play basketball and he moves very well. He is already very strong for a young man of his age. If he doesn't gain much more weight, I believe he can play TE in college. If he does gain 30lbs, he would be a very good OL/DL candidate. If the young man wants to play TE, I say give him a chance. He has the size, strength and agility that don't often come in one football player.

KoolAid said:
I don't care what position he comes here to play - just get him here. If it makes sense to move him, move him. Honestly, he seems to be a pretty average tight end. But he's massive.

I don't know. How do you rush a TE like that? How do you defense a receiving TE like that? He's just a huge match up problem. I Hope the gophers are able to sign him up! He'd make Phillip Nelson's life a lot better too.

That proves my point.

Do you know what you call a mediocre 6'7 tight end?

An offensive tackle.

I think Spaeth's listed height is a bit of a stretch...

I don't know. How do you rush a TE like that?

Not sure I understand the question

How do you defense a receiving TE like that?

With a linebacker.

Look, just because he's big doesn't mean he's a matchup problem. Now I've only seen his highlight films, but from what I can tell, he's not a game changing tight end - he's just a big athletic dude. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of having him here in any capacity, but he may be best suited for another position.

You wanna see what a game changing tight end looks like coming out of high school? Watch Rudolph's highlights, then watch Johnson's. Hell, watch Hageman's highlights.

Too tall for TE? Seriously? What a dumb comment!
Ben Utecht: 6'6"
Matt Spaeth: 6'7"
Gronkowski: 6'7"
Chandler: 6'7"
Jason Witten: 6'6"
Kyle Rudolph: 6'6"
Jimmy Graham: 6'6"

I could keep going. The question of whether or not Will Johnson will be a college TE has nothing to do with his height. His height is more of an asset in terms of being a TE. The question is whether he is athletic enough or a good enough receiver (I have no idea). However, that question has absolutely nothing to do with height, as you can see by the plethora of TEs who are very tall and athletic enough to be good receivers.

Will Johnson would actually be pretty perfect here even at TE. I have always thought he would end up at OT and I still think he will. However, our offense loves big, blocking TEs and if Johnson is hell bent on staying at TE, he would fit into that position rather easily.

McNutt is officially out at Ole Miss so it keeps looking better. (I need to type quicker)

Approximately how many schollies left for the 2012 class?

Approximately how many schollies left for the 2012 class?
Impossible to predict if there are going to be transfers/loss of scholarships. My guess is Kill signs a full class.

What is with Houston Nutt? He seems to be a good coach, but he must not have a winning personality or something. Had a long (and pretty good stretch) at Arkansas, but he must have really ticked someone off in Mississippi.

He's as shady as they come. He's the primary reason for the nationwide institution of annual signing limits. He's the main practitioner of the "sign 37 guys and cut the worst 12" recruiting strategy. With the way the NCAA is begrudgingly showing some teeth in enforcing rules violations, it was only a matter of time before Ole Miss had the hammer come down. Who knows what other nefarious stuff was going on behind the scenes.

Thanks dpo. I don't follow what's going on with most programs. My only lasting impression of Nutt is that he's super intense to the extent that he has trouble staying on the beam. Wouldn't surprise me that I guy like that would push the limits of the acceptable.

Top Bottom