Will Airforce be walking into a buzzsaw next year?

anticallihan

Reaction score
I think that was Brewster's quote before the 2007 season for whatever team was the first to play the inaugural game.

Not a bad team at all, and they hung with all the ranked teams the played. Good thing Air Force is not much of a passing team.

It is going to be a long winter/spring.

Going 7-5 next year would be quite an accomplishment (below a guess of what seven wins would look like, not a prediction)

Sat, Sep 05 Syracuse at Syracuse, N.Y. (W)
Sat, Sep 12 Air Force TCF Bank Stadium (W)
Sat, Sep 19 California TCF Bank Stadium
Sat, Sep 26 Northwestern at Evanston, Ill.
Sat, Oct 03 Wisconsin TCF Bank Stadium (W)
Sat, Oct 10 Purdue TCF Bank Stadium (W)
Sat, Oct 17 Penn State at University Park, Pa.
Sat, Oct 24 Ohio State at Columbus, Ohio
Sat, Oct 31 Michigan State TCF Bank Stadium (W)
Sat, Nov 07 Illinois TCF Bank Stadium (W)
Sat, Nov 14 South Dakota State TCF Bank Stadium (W)
Sat, Nov 21 Iowa at Iowa City, Iowa

Any way you put the 7 wins, it would be impressive step up for this team.

We can't poke fun at the non-conference schedule anymore. I'll go with 5-7.
Wins- Syracuse, AF, Purdue, either Illinois or MSU, and SDSU

I see Bielema coming here and winning. He'll run his mouth and we'll be sick about losing in our new place to Bucky, but will feel a little better two months later when Bielema gets fired and the whole state of Wisconsin realizes their program is sinking just like Colorado did after Bill McCartney's luster wore off.

Gosh, I don't really see us beating MSU next year. Dantonio seems to have his team just a level above Brew's team. I'm not saying we can't win that game. It's just that we definitely won't be favored going into the season.

I think that was Brewster's quote before the 2007 season for whatever team was the first to play the inaugural game.

Not a bad team at all, and they hung with all the ranked teams the played. Good thing Air Force is not much of a passing team.

It is going to be a long winter/spring.

Going 7-5 next year would be quite an accomplishment (below a guess of what seven wins would look like, not a prediction)

Sat, Sep 05 Syracuse at Syracuse, N.Y. (W)
Sat, Sep 12 Air Force TCF Bank Stadium (W)
Sat, Sep 19 California TCF Bank Stadium
Sat, Sep 26 Northwestern at Evanston, Ill.
Sat, Oct 03 Wisconsin TCF Bank Stadium (W)
Sat, Oct 10 Purdue TCF Bank Stadium (W)
Sat, Oct 17 Penn State at University Park, Pa.
Sat, Oct 24 Ohio State at Columbus, Ohio
Sat, Oct 31 Michigan State TCF Bank Stadium (W)
Sat, Nov 07 Illinois TCF Bank Stadium (W)
Sat, Nov 14 South Dakota State TCF Bank Stadium (W)
Sat, Nov 21 Iowa at Iowa City, Iowa

Any way you put the 7 wins, it would be impressive step up for this team.

I just hope we win the home opener in the new stadium which will be far from a given against Air Force.

at Syracuse - W
Air Force - W
California - L
at N'western - L
Wisconsin - W
Purdue - W
at Penn St - L
at Ohio St - L
Michigan St - L
Illinois - W
SDSU - W
at Iowa - L

Just a level?

Gosh, I don't really see us beating MSU next year. Dantonio seems to have his team just a level above Brew's team. I'm not saying we can't win that game. It's just that we definitely won't be favored going into the season.

Dantonio seems to have Michigan State playing like a capable D1 team which is several levels above the Gophers as they've shown under Brewster.

Dantonio's players are developing and contributing. They appear to be a team that is getting better under their new coach, not still trying to find an identity.

We should beat Syracuse and SD. Illinois is a toss up due to the "Zooker" factor and we should beat Summer's Eve's team as I believe he is the only guy in the Big Ten who can be out-coached by Brewster. If Dunbar is still with us, do you think Tedford will tell Brewster to dump him after they destroy us?

Next year could be an ugly step backwards and be a strong indicator of where this program is really headed. He will be at the end point of the 5 year time frame some have given him to show what he can do. By year three, something should be happening. Based on the way we closed out the season, it's tough to say we're improving, moving forward.

We can't poke fun at the non-conference schedule anymore. I'll go with 5-7.
Wins- Syracuse, AF, Purdue, either Illinois or MSU, and SDSU

I see Bielema coming here and winning. He'll run his mouth and we'll be sick about losing in our new place to Bucky, but will feel a little better two months later when Bielema gets fired and the whole state of Wisconsin realizes their program is sinking just like Colorado did after Bill McCartney's luster wore off.

Wisconsin is actually one of the games that I am most confident of next year.

1.) It is completely clear to me both teams are moving in the opposite direction.

2.) Wisconsin loses 3 starter on the OL and more than half of their Defense.

3.) If there is one game that Brewster has proven to get the players up for it is Wisconsin.

Dantonio seems to have Michigan State playing like a capable D1 team which is several levels above the Gophers as they've shown under Brewster.

Dantonio's players are developing and contributing. They appear to be a team that is getting better under their new coach, not still trying to find an identity.

We should beat Syracuse and SD. Illinois is a toss up due to the "Zooker" factor and we should beat Summer's Eve's team as I believe he is the only guy in the Big Ten who can be out-coached by Brewster. If Dunbar is still with us, do you think Tedford will tell Brewster to dump him after they destroy us?

Next year could be an ugly step backwards and be a strong indicator of where this program is really headed. He will be at the end point of the 5 year time frame some have given him to show what he can do. By year three, something should be happening. Based on the way we closed out the season, it's tough to say we're improving, moving forward.

This year Michigan State was a couple levels above us. However, we were dominated by underclassmen and they were dominated by Seniors.

The Gophers will gain experience and other teams will decline as part of the natural cycle of college football. The Ohio States of the world replace their seniors with 4 star recruits and the Minnesota's and Michigan States of the world build up by giving youngsters experience and then take a step back when they graduate.

7-5 would be no accomplishment at all in my mind, I will be disappointed with anything less than 9-3. The team started out 7-1 this year and loses just one impact player. What I saw from this team after the 7-1 start gives me no reason to believe they will actually get to 9-3. The games at Penn State and at Ohio State seem like the 2 "no chance" games next year, depending on who decides to come back for Penn State.

7-5 would be no accomplishment at all in my mind, I will be disappointed with anything less than 9-3. The team started out 7-1 this year and loses just one impact player. What I saw from this team after the 7-1 start gives me no reason to believe they will actually get to 9-3. The games at Penn State and at Ohio State seem like the 2 "no chance" games next year, depending on who decides to come back for Penn State.

The good news is that Penn State had a great offensive line anchored by three seniors that will all be gone. They had the best receiving corp in the Big Ten and all three were seniors. They lose some on the defense but most players still return, particularly in the DL and LB's. They will likely be the top D in the Big Ten but PSU of 2008 will be better than PSU of 2009.

MSU "dominated by seniors"?

"However, we (Gophers) were dominated by underclassmen and they (MSU) were dominated by Seniors."

Michigan State had 14 seniors on its roster (by my count the Gophers had 12). I wouldn't call that a roster dominated by seniors. That's not very many. Though he's a HUGE loss, obviously, Ringer is the only guy that will be a big loss. Brian Hoyer's been a good soldier, but nothing more than an ordinary Big Ten QB. Sparty will be much better at the QB position next year with Cousins or Nichol, the transfer from Oklahoma.

I do agree that the Gophers vs. Sparty in Minneapolis is pretty much a toss-up. That likely will be an "either-or" game for both squads, and in the end significant for both teams as far as bowl eligibility/destination.

Prepare to be disappointed

If you're going to set the bar at 9-3 next year I think you will be disappointed.

The crazy thing is. ...

if Brew somehow manages to lose to a completely-starting-over Syracuse program in the season opener, there will be some serious unrest heading into the Air Force game despite the excitement surrounding the new stadium. I wouldn't want to be 0-1 heading into the stadium opener (with the loss to one of the worst BCS programs in recent years), especially when Air Force appears to be a competent opponent.

The 7-1 start this year was simply a product of their schedule. Next year's schedule is far more difficult. Instead of FAU, NIU, and BG you have Syracuse, Cal, and Air Force. PSU and MSU replace Indiana and Michigan. I will be surprised if they go to a bowl game.

I wonder if Maturi was serious about extending Brewster or just trying keep the present recruits secure. Next season will be pretty key for the coach and given the quality of schedule anything above .500 will justify an extension and many apologies to him (me included). I hope Maturi holds off on extending him until the non conference schedule is completed, give him two more years if he's 2-1.

The Badgers have won 12 of the last 14 against the Gophers. I can see why you are all so confident.

Keep up the sky is falling dreams you are having about Badger football. It will help you forget the 5 game losing streak to end the year and the two annual basketball losses still to come.

Well GVBadger......you'll be watching them on TV unless you want to pay out front prices. And I would suggest if you plan on scalping you don't wear those puke red colors. as W.C. Fields said: "There's a sucker born every minute"

Right. It is going to be really tough to get a ticket for a Gophers football game. Good one. There is a difference between selling the seats and actually having the people with the tickets wanting to go to the games. The scalpers fists will be full and there will be plenty of tickets available for reasonable prices, no matter where the games are played.

6-6 is my early prediction right now. The first two are MUST WIN games, @ Syracuse and the first game ever at TCF. Once you get those two done, you can try to play with Cal and then hopefully there will still be good vibes going into the rest of their schedule. But losing either of those first two would be devastating I think. I know Air Force is a decent team, but the first game in the new stadium ever, everyone will be hyped, players will be hyped, the atmosphere will be incredible. To lose that game would just be a huge blow I think.

The first year will be tough to get tickets- even if we are 1-3 going into the Bucky game.

We love novelties, look at the Timberwolves attendance at the Dome and the earlier years of the Target Center and now the Wild at the Ex. It might take up to three years for the luster to wear off if we aren't winning Big Ten games.

The first year will be tough to get tickets- even if we are 1-3 going into the Bucky game.

We love novelties, look at the Timberwolves attendance at the Dome and the earlier years of the Target Center and now the Wild at the Ex. It might take up to three years for the luster to wear off if we aren't winning Big Ten games.

I really hope there's no more than 4-5k Badger fans at that game. It will be somewhat disappointing if Gopher fans sell their seats or if Corp seats end up in the hands of red wearers.

I don't like the fact that there is no open date next year. That schedule is way too much of a grind to go 12 weeks with no rest.

GO GOPHERS!!!!!

Actually MSU had 17 on the roster. But 8 out of 22 starters were seniors compared to our 3. More importantly, their senior starters were at important positions.

They don't have another Javon Ringer in the backfield, they lose two linemen, their QB (he wasn't great but he didn't make mistakes and replacing a QB is always a risk), they lose a DE (and his back up), a DT, and both starting safeties.

I counted wrong, your 17 total is correct. Either way, 14 or 17, that's not a lot of seniors.

Your thesis was that MSU was "dominated by seniors." Proven not true simply by looking at the roster. Can't change your point in mid stream. You won't get an argument from me that Javon Ringer will be difficult to replace, but that wasn't your argument.

IMO, only significant losses are Ringer & Wiley, maybe Kershaw. They'll be improved everywhere else, most notably at QB.

This will be a challenging schedule. We can only hope that next year's team improves as the season progresses - the exact opposite of what happened this year.

Prepare to be disappointed.

GVBadger

You are wrong, the streaks in football and basketball are over. Go troll on your own board and while you are at it you can kiss my ass. The problem is I have no idea where your badger mouth has been. Bring it on, bring on the white trash that is Wisconsin.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think 8 wins is not out of the question. Cal will be tough, but we get them at home, and fairly early in the year which hopefully will be to our advantage. At least the team should be better prepared for big10 play from this tougher non conference schedule. PSU could get a lot worse with all the players they lose. NW is very winnable. Wisconsin is very winnable. MSU will be very winnable. Illinois will be a lot better next year I think and I expect them to finish high in the big10. Iowa will still be very tough as well as will OSU of course.

Top Bottom