Wilford Brimley, Actor, Quaker Oats Commercial Guy, Dies at Age 85

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per TMZ:

Wilford Brimley -- an iconic actor who was the face of Quaker Oats for years, as well as a spokesperson for diabetes education -- has died ... a rep tells TMZ.

We're told Brimley passed away Saturday morning at his home in Utah. Sources with direct knowledge of Wilford's health tell us he was in an ICU wing of a hospital on dialysis, and very sick for days.

Wilford had a lengthy career on camera, dating back to the 1970s with over 70 acting credits. He's perhaps most known for roles in cult classic films like "Cocoon," "The Natural," "The Thing," "Hard Target," and countless other memorable on-screen appearances, big and small.

Brimley started out as mostly a TV actor, landing one-time roles on TV series like 'How the West Was Won,' 'Kung Fu,' 'The Oregon Trail,' and then eventually ... a recurring part on 'The Waltons.' He went on to star in a bunch of TV movies, such as 'The Wild Wild West Revisited,' 'Amber Waves,' 'Roughnecks,' 'Rodeo Girl,' 'The Big Black Pill,' and so on.

Go Gophers!!

Brimley was great in The Firm:

Go Gophers!!

And he was a scene stealer in The Natural:

Go Gophers!!

I've been meaning to re-watch The Thing. Man was he crazy good in that. RIP.

On the Dan Patrick Show they mentioned that he was only 50 yrs old when he filmed Cocoon. As someone born in 1969, that's sobering (that I am older than that currently).

Does anyone else remember Brimley from the NBC show, Our House, which was on from '86 to 88? I barely remember anything about the show-had to look up the name and it turns out that Deidre Hall (DOOL's Marlena Brady) and Shannen Doherty were co-stars on the show, but it's where I first saw Brimley and he was the only thing particularly memorable about the show, playing a wizened and wise grandfather.

Top Bottom