Wild Guess Thread - Big Ten NCAA Selection Scenarios

Tater

f.k.a. "Tubtastic"
Reaction score
First things first -- I'm asking for your thoughts on what might happen in a potential scenario. For those of you who hate predicting the future, go ride your high horse over to the park and fly a kite for an hour or two.

Okay -- If the Gophers win the next two (Mich and Iowa), tell me what you'd think would happen in the following scenarios and why:

(1) IL loses to tOSU and WI. Gophers win their first Big Ten Tourney game (#4 versus #5 game) and lose their second game to the #1 seed. IL wins its first BTT game (#6 vs #11 game), its second game (to the #3 seed), and loses its third game (to the #2 seed).
--> Gophers finish 20-12, IL is 20-14.

(2) Same scenario as (1) but the Gophers win their second BTT game and lose in the BTT championship.
--> Gophers finish 21-12, IL is 20-14.

(3) Same scenario as (2) but IL wins the championship over the Gophers.
--> Gophers finish 21-12, IL is 22-14 ( * IL with the automatic bid--will the selection committee still take us as the sixth Big Ten team?).

(4) IL loses to tOSU and WI, and loses its first BTT game. Gophers lose their first BTT game.
--> Gophers finish 19-12, IL is 18-14.

(5) Same scenario as (4) but IL wins its first BTT game.
--> Gophers finish 19-12, IL is 19-14.

(6) IL loses to tOSU, beats WI. Gophers win their first BTT game (#6 vs #11) and lose their second to the #3 seed. IL loses its first BTT game (#4 vs #5).
--> Gophers finish 20-12, IL is 19-13.

(7) Same as (6) but IL wins its first BTT game, loses its second to the #1 seed.
--> Gophers finish 20-12, IL is 20-13.

(8) IL loses to tOSU, beats WI. Gophers win their first and second BTT game. IL wins its first BTT game, loses its second.
--> Gophers finish 21-12, IL is 21-13.

(9) Same as (8) but IL wins its second BTT game too.
--> Gophers finish 21-12, IL is 22-13.

I think it is very possible the selection committee will not take 6 Big Ten teams in any of these scenarios. Even so, my predictions are:
(1) MN barely out, IL barely in (tough one to take);
(2) MN in, IL barely out;
(3) MN barely in, IL automatic in;
(4) MN out, IL out;
(5) MN out, IL out;
(6) MN out, IL barely out;
(7) MN out, IL barely in;
(8) MN barely out, IL barely in (this could be the biggest screw job scenario);
(9) MN barely out, IL in.

based on the fact that the Gophers are one of the last 4 out in Lunardi's bracket, under scenario 1 I think they get in, scenario 2 I think they are safely in with 5 rpi top 50 wins, scenario 3 they still are in, scenario 4,5,6,7 the gophers are out. Scenario 8 I think they get in, Scenario 9 I think IL in, Gophers either barely in or out depending on conf. tournament bid stealers.

1) Likely both in
2) Both locks
3) Both locks
4) Ill. definate out. Gophers 50/50.
5) Both teams 50/50
6) Ill lock. Gophers 50/50
7) Redudent Ill. still a lock, Gophers 50/50. There's no direct link between Gophers and Ill. You're over-thinking this
8) Ill still a lock. Gophers 75/25.
9) Redundant. See #8.

I am ceasing to consider bracketology when the track record at bracketography is so much better, and more indepth (without having ot pay for it)

Top Bottom