Wilbon and Kornheiser talk Gopher FB on PTI

AhliBobwa

Reaction score
...related to the Leach rumors. Kornheiser thinks The Gophers should grab him. Wilbon had an interesting take, that Minnesota would be a great fit for Leach, but wasn't sure Leach would be a great fit for Minnesota.

Wilbon also said that the Gopher job was a really good job, and one that a coach would love to have.

YES! I knew there was a reason that I don't hate Northwestern.

Thank you Wilbon for some love! :clap:

Bellotti on ESPNU earlier today talked about us as well, said we have great facilities and recruiting here is a lot like recruiting to Oregon. No word on his affinity to the position :)

Kornheiser also said that if Mike Leach brings his spread offense to Minnesota, Jim Tressel will set his hair on fire!

Bellotti on ESPNU earlier today talked about us as well, said we have great facilities and recruiting here is a lot like recruiting to Oregon. No word on his affinity to the position :)

Thanks for that. That is great news. It's no secret I'm a Harbaugh guy but after him Bellotti is near the top of my list. Great football coach. Also, I would love to see MQ Gray running his run first spread option attack.

Maybe firing Brewster early was a good idea -- we can kind of get a jump here on everyone else and hopefully get someone before the entire recruiting class is destroyed.

I like the names being thrown out a lot more than the last time, that's for sure!!!

This type of press/hype is exactly why I was 100% in favor of making the move during the season. Wait until the season is over and we get pushed to the back burner in favor of bigger name openings that are out there.

Thanks for that. That is great news. It's no secret I'm a Harbaugh guy but after him Bellotti is near the top of my list. Great football coach. Also, I would love to see MQ Gray running his run first spread option attack.

You being a Harbaugh guy is like me being a Belladonna guy. It's simply in our dreams.

Belotti's system isn't the spread option attack, he hired Chip Kelly to install it. Then handed the job over to Kelly.

Belotti's system pre-Kelly was a traditional offense built around the running game and the playaction pass. All of which came under fire after BYU dominated them in the Vegas Bowl.

This type of press/hype is exactly why I was 100% in favor of making the move during the season. Wait until the season is over and we get pushed to the back burner in favor of bigger name openings that are out there.

I agree.

Everyone knows our job is open now. Hopefully we dont see any major jobs open up for any period of time like last year with USC, Notre Dame, & Florida opening up around the same time.

My gut feeling tells me the only real job opening we might play 2nd fiddle to will be Penn State.

Belotti's system isn't the spread option attack, he hired Chip Kelly to install it. Then handed the job over to Kelly.

Belotti's system pre-Kelly was a traditional offense built around the running game and the playaction pass. All of which came under fire after BYU dominated them in the Vegas Bowl.

(looks embarrassed) my mistake. thanks for the correction.

I agree.

Everyone knows our job is open now. Hopefully we dont see any major jobs open up for any period of time like last year with USC, Notre Dame, & Florida opening up around the same time.

My gut feeling tells me the only real job opening we might play 2nd fiddle to will be Penn State.

I suspect that if Joe Pa really is stepping down, that he'll name his own successor and it will be internal.

As they say any press is positive press. It's about time we get some love, especially because CFB news is relatively slow.

Here are some of the possible openings and how I would rank them.
1. PSU - If JoePa retires
2. Texas A&M - Sherman is only in his 3rd year so I think the Aggies give him 1 more chance.
T3. Minnesota
T3. Colorado - Hawkins can't possibly survive another year, can he? I think MN and Colorado are pretty even for attractiveness. Probably depends on the coach and whether he's a west coast or a midwest guy.
4. Maryland - Fridge is off to a decent start this year. Is that enough to stop the grumbling?

2. Texas A&M - Sherman is only in his 3rd year so I think the Aggies give him 1 more chance.
T3. Minnesota
T3. Colorado - Hawkins can't possibly survive another year, can he? I think MN and Colorado are pretty even for attractiveness. Probably depends on the coach and whether he's a west coast or a midwest guy.
4. Maryland - Fridge is off to a decent start this year. Is that enough to stop the grumbling?

I keep telling you folks, PSU will be hiring from within.

T3. Minnesota

Pretty much agree. The good news for us is that we will fill the position before anyone else.

You can add Michigan to the list...

Rodriguez needs to win 3 of the remaining 5 big ten games or beat OSU...or he will likely be gone.

The list starts and ends with Jim Harbaugh for Michigan. He played under Bo, is family friends with our new AD, went to high school in Ann Arbor and was a ball boy for Michigan in his youth.

I keep telling you folks, PSU will be hiring from within.

I think this depends on who names the new coach. I'm sure JoePa wants his kid to take over the same way Sid pimps his own halfwit offspring in the media here. But if PSU continues on their current arc the decision may be taken out of his hands. Hopefully his endgame isn't as pitiful as what happened to Bowden at FSU. Its ironic that we could be screwing ourselves by beating PSU this w/e. Not that I would bet the mortgage (or even my phone bill) on that occurring. As for external candidates, it might cross Golden, Edsall, Schiano or some other east coast guy off the list, but that's about it.

The other team that maybe should be in that top 5 list is Michigan. Dickrod is gonna be facing some serious flak if he goes 0-6 in his rivalry games. I don't think the fatcats in Ann Arbor are going to be satisfied with going to the PizzaPizza bowl in Detroit.

Rodriguez needs to win 3 of the remaining 5 big ten games or beat OSU...or he will likely be gone.

The list starts and ends with Jim Harbaugh for Michigan. He played under Bo, is family friends with our new AD, went to high school in Ann Arbor and was a ball boy for Michigan in his youth.

A source close to the situation says Carr does not get along with Harbaugh. This is why carr never had Harbaugh around during his tenure as coach and never hired him on his staff. There is dirt behind Harbaugh that michigan knows and does not want to be associated with. Carr is an associate AD and will be a huge part of the next hired coach.

A source close to the situation says Carr does not get along with Harbaugh. This is why carr never had Harbaugh around during his tenure as coach and never hired him on his staff. There is dirt behind Harbaugh that michigan knows and does not want to be associated with. Carr is an associate AD and will be a huge part of the next hired coach.

I could see the school siding with Harbaugh over Carr. Carr failed them. Harbaugh is a Michigan man and he's had plenty of sucess elsewhere. Granted so had DickRod. I can't believe there is any dirt that isn't old news. Stanford is a squeaky clean institution and they would no put up with any shenanigans.

Considering what Harbaugh said about Michigan and their admissions practices last year, I don't think there's a prayer in the world that he'll ever coach there.

I do think DickRod is going to be shown the door very soon. Michigan went from a national powerhouse to a Sub-Mason level team quite quickly.

I could see the school siding with Harbaugh over Carr. Carr failed them. Harbaugh is a Michigan man and he's had plenty of sucess elsewhere. Granted so had DickRod. I can't believe there is any dirt that isn't old news. Stanford is a squeaky clean institution and they would no put up with any shenanigans.

Carr failed Michigan? For their unrealistic & arrogant fanbase he certainly kept them relevant during his tenure. Their belief of their history is purely fiction, almost to the level of a comic book.

Just talking to a Michigan fan you'd think Bo won 5 National Championships during his tenure. Then they resort to insults when you point out their legendary coach lost 7 Rose Bowls.

Carr has retired. I've heard the talk about Harbaugh's standing with his fellow Michigan Men and it isn't good.

If they do fire RichRod, it wouldn't surprise me to see them aim for a big name in the college or pro ranks. They certainly have the money to do so.

Maybe I'm the only guy who can honestly see Harbaugh staying around with Stanford until the NFL comes calling. I know he was mentioned for the Raiders job not too long ago.

Michigan might still go with Harbaugh because it is a "what have you done for me lately" kind of world, however I can't imagine how anyone could argue that Lloyd Carr "failed them".

In his 13 seasons at Michigan, Carr won the Big 10 5 times, went to 4 Rose Bowls and won a Nat'l Championship.

As far as Harbaugh's comments, they were more aimed at Michigan as a whole. He pretty much attacked Bo Schembechler and the entire school. I remember hearing at the time of incident that most "Michigan guys" don't consider him to be a Michigan Man anymore.

I think turning the football program around could certainly put most of that to rest, but yeah, it cuts much deeper than simply Carr v. Harbaugh.

LOL...Michigan would *NEVER* hire Harbaugh...there is some very thick bad blood between the 2...

Why would Harbaugh consider leaving a top 15 program for a program out of the top 100? I can't see it! If Harbaugh comes to the Big 10, it'll be to take over Rodridguez's job.

Which begs the point: why not Bronco Mendenhall?

Your incorrect in many ways. First Carr is not looked at as a failure by Michigan. He had medical issues and has a ton of respect from leadership at Michigan. He still holds an associate ad position. If they did not like him they would not keep in around in an admin role. And on the old news front trust me there is tons more dirt on these coaches then there is known by fans like you. Im not sure there is such thing as a "squeaky" clean institution either in college football. Everyones breaking rules and doing things they do not want the common man such as yourself to know. Sorry if it upsets you or college football is not what you thought it was but thats just what it has turned into.

Top Bottom