WI junior, Matt Egegn talks about recruitment, and MN visit during the season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from SuperPrep.com:

The state of Wisconsin always seems to be a good place for colleges to find big, strong linemen. The 2010 class does not look like it will break that trend as it features several linemen who are already being recruited, one of which is La Crosee Logan’s Matt Eggen.

Even though they fell in the first round of the state playoffs, La Crosse Logan still enjoyed a fine 2008 campaign. The team went 8-2 and did so with a strong running attack which featured junior offensive tackle Matt Eggen, one of the state’s top junior prospects.
The 6’5, 285-lb Eggen has already been hearing from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Indiana, Alabama and UCLA. The Badgers have done very well recruiting within their state borders over the years and Eggen has paid close attention.

“I’ve followed Wisconsin football, it’s been a big part of my growing up,” he said.

While they are a nice, close option, Eggen says he is considering every school which considers him and that includes Alabama and UCLA, both of which are a good ways from Wisconsin. This season, Eggen only took one unofficial visit, but he says it was a good one.

“I went to Minnesota for a game. They were playing Michigan. It was real cool actually just seeing how much the crowd was into it and how much of a jump from high school it is. I could see the physicality on the offensive line. You can see the coaches have pounded that into their head.”

Currently in the midst of basketball season, Eggen won’t be able to concentrate much on his recruitment yet, but says he will when spring roles around.

“I plan on going to a couple of their camps, but I’m not sure which ones.”

When he does begin looking more closely at potential colleges, Eggen does have a good idea of what he would like to see.

“Probably the first one is education,” he explained, “the lifestyle of the campus and all that. I’ll also look at the program and how well the program has been and the coaching staff.”

Eggen says he is undecided on his major but is leaning towards accounting.

Go Gophers!!

Wow I am getting old! I was Matt's 4th grade teacher in La Crosse...he was big then, and obviously he has kept on growing. Hopefully he makes the right decision and becomes a Gopher!

Go get him Brew!

Can you imagine an o-line in 2010 of:
LT-Seantrel Headerson 6-8 301
LG- Matt Egegn 6-5 285
C- J. Champion 6-5 265
RG- Matt Carufel 6-5 295
RT- Ed Olsen 6-7 285/ Jimmy Gjere 6-7 270
*heights and weight as of the last listed measurements
Now thats a talented huge road moving line!

LG- Matt Egegn 6-5 285
C- J. Champion 6-5 265
RG- Matt Carufel 6-5 295

I don't mean to be a debby downer, and believe me I'm a huge fan of the program, but I think Seantrel is looking to go elsewhere and we have a very slim chance of getting him. I would love it if he did, he would be a monster and the best recruit we've had in I don't know how long.

LG- Matt Egegn 6-5 285
C- J. Champion 6-5 265
RG- Matt Carufel 6-5 295

Roszell Gayden could be signing in the 2010 class also, he was 6-7 285 in high school.

maybe roszell will sign back up but from what i have read about him is that he isnt impressing anybody at this point

I don't mean to be a debby downer, and believe me I'm a huge fan of the program, but I think Seantrel is looking to go elsewhere and we have a very slim chance of getting him. I would love it if he did, he would be a monster and the best recruit we've had in I don't know how long.

If you noticed, I did say imagine

Even w/o Seantrell that line looks to be pretty solid. Definitely a step above what we put out there last year

I'm a big fan of getting Eggen, but there is absolutely no way he starts as a true freshman in 2010. IIRC, the last two true freshman we had starting (on a consistent basis) were Setterstrom and Eslinger, and those two are now playing on Sundays.

I'm a big fan of getting Eggen, but there is absolutely no way he starts as a true freshman in 2010. IIRC, the last two true freshman we had starting (on a consistent basis) were Setterstrom and Eslinger, and those two are now playing on Sundays.

That's right, and while both were serviceable as freshmen, they did not dominate in their freshman season. It's very rare to have freshmen make a major impact, especially on the O-line.

Just imagine the talent. Who starts where and when is TBD just having that talent on the roster is a rare thing at MN

I could be wrong about Eslinger, but the last i heard he was cut from the broncos. Has he signed on somewhere since then? Your list included a lot of big guys which would be very nice to have to pound the ball down the defensive throats.

i am not 100% sure but i thought that eslinger got signed by the texans

I could be wrong about Eslinger, but the last i heard he was cut from the broncos. Has he signed on somewhere since then? Your list included a lot of big guys which would be very nice to have to pound the ball down the defensive throats.

Eslinger was on the Texans practice squad, and was a member of the Broncos practice squad last season. He was absolutely fantastic in the zone blocking system when he played at Minnesota, but he's not the kind of center most NFL teams look for to counter the 330 lbs defensive tackles most pro defenses are trying to build around.

It would be awesome if we could steal another recruit away from Brett Bulimia. So much for Minnesota being home turf in recruiting. He will continue to be exposed this season. The team just isn't the same without Alvarez as HC, and I think this is the season that people will finally take notice. Hopefully we can capitalize on that when it comes to recruiting. :)

I guess I misspelled his name. It's Bret Bielema.

Top Bottom