Why would TCU be so much better than last year?

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
Even before we had two shaky second halves and no evidence of offensive evolution, there seemed to be a consensus that this would be one of our most difficult games.

My question is: What leads everyone to believe that the 2014 TCU team will be that much better than their 2013 squad? A lot of returning starters? the return of a stud player who was injured in 2013?

The 2013 Horned Frogs only beat 3 FBS teams - and the combined record of those teams was 11-25. To be fair, though, none of their 4 losses to teams that finished the year as ranked teams were blowout losses - two of those losses were only by 3 points.

The #1 thing that scares me is that their strength seems to be their rushing defense and that seems to be all we've got.

This question isn't intended to be rhetorical or to provoke TCU fans, I really want to know why the 2014 Horned Frogs are expected to be better than the 2013 Horned Frogs.

No reason. That is why I don't think this game will be as daunting as some others do.

They have a new offense with a better system for the QB and they had an extra week to prepare for us. They get the media's benefit of a doubt by winning a Rose Bowl a few short years ago. We'll see what Saturday brings.

And they were hit hard by injuries last year.

They remind me of NW. Hard luck team last year looking for a bounce back. However, that bounce back for is looking more unlikely for the Cats.

I'm not convinced they were terrible last year, 3-point loss at Oklahoma, 3-point loss vs Baylor, 2-point loss at K-State says they have guys that can play. That said, they certainly weren't good. However, the biggest reasons why I think this will be tough for us are the matchups:

- They have a mobile QB (former WR/QB), and we have yet to show (this year) that we can contain. If we let him beat us with his legs when things are covered downfield, we're going to have a rough time getting our defense off the field.

- They hang their hat on run defense. Last year, they gave up 3.3 ypc, good for 21st in the country (we averaged 4.3 ypc last year). Two years ago, 3.2 ypc allowed by their D. It's their calling card, and while our offensive MO is to run the ball and run some more, if they're able to play to their standard we will need to complete passes to win.

I do hope we are able to get 4 ypc, it will be much easier to run our offense and keep our defense fresh if we are.

They have a new offense with a better system for the QB and they had an extra week to prepare for us. They get the media's benefit of a doubt by winning a Rose Bowl a few short years ago. We'll see what Saturday brings.
I'm not really buying the line that they've had more time to prepare for us. I refuse to believe that our staff hasn't been game planning for TCU for the last several weeks or even during the summer months. Yes TCU will be more rested which could be an advantage but they also may be more rusty.

I'm not really buying the line that they've had more time to prepare for us. I refuse to believe that our staff hasn't been game planning for TCU for the last several weeks or even during the summer months. Yes TCU will be more rested which could be an advantage but they also may be more rusty.

You do realize the coaching staff had to prepare the team to focus on MTSU last week? Meanwhile, TCU will have 2 weeks to prepare and focus on us. There is a big difference.

You do realize the coaching staff had to prepare the team to focus on MTSU last week? Meanwhile, TCU will have 2 weeks to prepare and focus on us. There is a big difference.

I understand the staff made sure the team was focused on MTSU but I'm also pretty sure that the staff has been preparing for TCU for a long time now.

I agree it's a bit over-rated, but I doubt they are telling the boys they are preparing for TCU the last few weeks. They may put in some plays that they may use against TCU, but I'm sure their focus has been on EI and MTS. People seem to think coaches are lying when they say they take it one game at a time. They're not lying.

As we all know, the University of Minnesota has more rigorous admissions standards than many schools. Therefore our athletes are smarter. Therefore their prep time is shorter. Therefore no worries! Prediction: Gophers 21 - TCU 14.

Where the bye week comes in really handy for TCU is they stayed healthy. The Gophers on the other hand are in trouble health wise. This would be a tough game even if we were 100% healthy, but considering the injuries we've suffered already (assuming Mitch is out) I don't give us a very good chance at winning this game.

In regards to why TCU is better, they're healthy and have a new offensive system that should cause them to score more points. Their offense was a major letdown last year.

I agree it's a bit over-rated, but I doubt they are telling the boys they are preparing for TCU the last few weeks. They may put in some plays that they may use against TCU, but I'm sure their focus has been on EI and MTS. People seem to think coaches are lying when they say they take it one game at a time. They're not lying.

Could this be the week we start seeing the Berkley and Jones jet plays? I feel like yes

Could this be the week we start seeing the Berkley and Jones jet plays? I feel like yes

I believe we will see more as the TCU, MSU, MN type defenses seem vulnerable on the edges. Berkey seems to be more of a sprinter than a shifty back, so he needs to make that first man miss.

Most of all I hope we stop the IF14 jet sweep. Worked as well on Saturday as it did in the bowl game. That needs to go!

TCU fan opinion:

This is a very legitimate question. TCU is getting a whole lot of hype for a team that was perhaps the worst it's been in a decade+ last year with a 4-8 record, and as pointed out, only 3 wins versus FBS teams (including cellar dwellers Kansas and Iowa State). Even the FCS win was ugly (first half v. Southeastern Louisiana in 2013 was reminiscent of Minn's second half v. Middle Tennessee last week). As y'all have mentioned, TCU was young, injury plagued, and things just spiraled out of control. Losing is a disease, and that team caught it bad. There were off field issues lingering from the past few years that hurt the team, too (starting QB went to alcohol/drug rehab, depth issues due to dismissals, etc.). Worst of all though, the OL was horrendous--one of the worst in FBS.

The response was a huge offensive coaching staff shuffle in December and January--2 new OCs, retirement of OL coach, etc., and TCU is installing an up-tempo, spread offense to be more competitive in the Big 12 (on the field and recruiting trail). Our starting QB is supposedly a lot sharper than last year--lost a ton of weight and is now a junior. A stout Gary Patterson defense and a strong RB corps lead the team this year.

There are huge question marks, though. TCU has played one game against Samford, which tells us next to nothing. Word out of spring ball was just okay--nothing spectacular. QB play, WRs (key in a spread offense), OL (key in any offense), and special teams are assumed to be drastically improved, but I think folks (fans, media, etc.) are making way too much out of that Samford game. My opinion is we don't really know anything about the offense, andI wasn't terribly impressed with the defense last week. TCU and Minnesota's lines match up well size and talent-wise, so I think this game is going to be a good measuring stick for both teams. If TCU is running the spread effectively, then maybe we can get a solid W, but I have strong doubts about a new system in its first FBS game against a solid B1G contender. Looks like the Gophers do quite well off turnovers, and a new offense is a vulnerable offense. I see turnovers as the key stat to watch Saturday.

My prediction: neither team breaks 24, and turnovers determine the winner. Looking forward to the game (y'all are bringing fall weather with you, which shuld make for a fun day). Hope a bunch of y'all make it down and enjoy your trip to Texas. Good luck!

Although it is nice to have a bye week when your opponent does not, I think it is more critical later in the year when injuries start to mount and players need a rest. Having a bye this early in the year may not be all that beneficial. The first two or three games is when teams are working out the bugs. TCU may be adjusting to their new coaching staff and spread office in the first half while we are hitting our game plan in full stride. If this were the fifth or sixth game, I'd be more concerned. The only thing that maybe really works in their favor is having healthy players. It seems like we're really dinged up for this time of year which I did not expect so early.

Thanks, Frog86, for your update. Saturday's game should be interesting on many fronts......

Nice, calling for 78 degrees for a high.

I'm really looking forward to this one. Frog86 thank you for sharing some great information about the Frogs! Sounds like perfect beer drinking outdoor football weather.

In regards to why TCU is better, they're healthy and have a new offensive system that should cause them to score more points. Their offense was a major letdown last year.

Being in the second game with a brand new offensive system and new QB does not sound like a plus to me.

Similarly, while Kill is complaining that TCU got a bye, Patterson's probably (rightfully) worried that the only game action they've had is one overmatched third-tier opponent, while we've had more opportunity to work out the kinks.

The injuries are a problem, though. And I don't think TCU will be so much "better" this year, but they were a solid team last year and the record just didn't reflect it. And it's on the road probably in stifling heat. Those 3 factors IMO are the hurdles.

Our top notch scientific researchers must have found a way to bring some cool Minnesota air down with the team Saturday.

Thanks Frog86. I enjoyed your post. Good Luck on Saturday!

Frog Fan

My 2 cents is people expect us to be a lot better if our offense even shows up remotely. Last year our defense played an incredible amount of time and the offense floundered. i mean floundered, I have never seen it so bad. If we had a even a marginal offense the season could have been drastically different (but wasn't). So anywho, we return a bunch of starters and I am sure our defense is very solid again. So it comes down to offense. We didn't prove jack against Samford, but last year the score would have been 10-7. Reference SELA game. So it is better.......I think this game will be completely decided on our O line vs your D Line.

Top Bottom