Why Winning is So Important

TiredOleGopher

Reaction score
While living in Minneapolis I would often hear people question the worth of athletics at the “U”. Often I would hear the question, “why should we and the University Administrators care whether or not the Gopher athletic teams are successful?” What does it really matter to the university, the twin cites and to the average Minneapolis/St. Paul resident if the Gophers are competitive or not? My answer to that question has always been it should matter BIG TIME for the following reasons:

Financially
Recently Sid Hartman wrote an article indicating that the Gopher Football Budget was $9.25 million. A recent article on the Ohio State football program indicated that a 2006 budget of $32.3million at Ohio State brought in $28.5 million in profits. The OSU football program profits easily meets the financial needs of the remaining OSU intercollegiate and intramural sports programs. OSU students, fans and alumni enjoy the use of top notch facilities in large part due to the success of the Buckeyes. At Minnesota a profit margin of $28.5 million would provide the funds required for a basketball practice facility which is desperately needed if the Gophers are to be competitive as we move into the next decade.

Community
In 2009 University of Texas football games brought $99.3 million to the Austin, TX economy. When the Longhorns win people come to see them play. Bottom line, when the Longhorns win, Austin wins. The same would be true for the twin cites if the Gophers were winning on a consistent basis.

Pride
Last year Ohio State received merchandising revenues of $ 7.7 million. Buckeye success has generated a sense of pride in the institution by all Ohioans regardless of whether or not they are affiliated with the university. While Minnesota does not have the population base enjoyed by the Buckeyes a winning program goes a long way in generating school and state pride as well as increased revenues in merchandising and university donations.

When we don’t support the Gophers all of Minnesota is affected.

Let's also not forget that having successful athletic teams that perform on national
tv is one of the best advertising bargains available to universities today.

How many non-Mormons would even know what BYU was were it not for
their football program? Notre Dame- same thing.

One can debate the role of athletics in higher education -fine. However, the
service academies view sports as essential and required, and they are some of
the most exclusive institutions of higher learning in the world.

What is beyond debate is the money and free advertising that comes with
a recognized, successful program.

Alumni donations increase when universities have successful athletic programs. Those alumni who command large salaries or are successful entreprenuers are more likely to give back to support FB and BB if those programs do well. Afterall, everyone wants to be associated with a winner and will give in order to keep that winning alive. CYA in Madtown in 2 weeks.:) Kudos to Donna Shalala for finally seeing the light at the UW.

The Administration does not care. Until they are thrown out on their collective behinds, this will not change. In poker terms, they like to leave money on the table.

The Administration does not care. Until they are thrown out on their collective behinds, this will not change. In poker terms, they like to leave money on the table.

You're wrong. President Bruininks cares. He may be the first U president in 4 decades to care, but he cares. Here's hoping the next president cares at least as much.

You're wrong. President Bruininks cares. He may be the first U president in 4 decades to care, but he cares. Here's hoping the next president cares at least as much.

I don't see it. We have athletic programs that are as bad, if not worse, than they were in the 1980's. That doesn't give one the impression of "caring." Football is being compared to Smokey Joe Salem's disaster in the Dome. Hockey has hit the depths of Doug Woog's idiotic Minnesota only talent era. Basketball is hovering around the level of post Jim Dutcher era.

I care, but people call me negative. Maybe you all should look in that Kool-Aid that you have been drinking. Are they any drug interaction side effects you may be having like rose colored vision??

I don't see it. We have athletic programs that are as bad, if not worse, than they were in the 1980's. That doesn't give one the impression of "caring." Football is being compared to Smokey Joe Salem's disaster in the Dome. Hockey has hit the depths of Doug Woog's idiotic Minnesota only talent era. Basketball is hovering around the level of post Jim Dutcher era.

I care, but people call me negative. Maybe you all should look in that Kool-Aid that you have been drinking. Are they any drug interaction side effects you may be having like rose colored vision??

Football and Hockey, I can agree with.

But basketball? You're joking, right? That's the ONE program we have going for us (every MSU fan I've talked to completely fears us) and we are projected by many to be a contender in Big Ten play, even to go as far as the Big Ten championship game again this next year.

Maybe someone should tell Brewster that winning is important. He might not have thought of it.

Winning is so important I've know put Schnoodles on my ignore list. %&#( him!

I forgot to add %$#@ homophones. Any time, let me know what works.

Football and Hockey, I can agree with.

But basketball? You're joking, right? That's the ONE program we have going for us (every MSU fan I've talked to completely fears us) and we are projected by many to be a contender in Big Ten play, even to go as far as the Big Ten championship game again this next year.

Dutcher was a great coach, but the end of his run was a little embarrassing because of his recruiting problems. Tubby is elevating the team, but we are not the power we should be.

Also Women's BB has fallen. I see them being treated like Cheryl Littlejohn is the coach again.

When the Gophers lose to South Dakota all of the fans are affected...

Are you getting Schrute bucks or something for posting the same things over and over? Just wondering because this has little to do with what the OP was talking about.

one-schrute-buck--large-msg-119301658823.jpg

I shoulda added dots then people would know not to take my posts so serious...

While living in Minneapolis I would often hear people question the worth of athletics at the “U”. Often I would hear the question, “why should we and the University Administrators care whether or not the Gopher athletic teams are successful?” What does it really matter to the university, the twin cites and to the average Minneapolis/St. Paul resident if the Gophers are competitive or not? My answer to that question has always been it should matter BIG TIME for the following reasons:

Financially
Recently Sid Hartman wrote an article indicating that the Gopher Football Budget was $9.25 million. A recent article on the Ohio State football program indicated that a 2006 budget of $32.3million at Ohio State brought in $28.5 million in profits. The OSU football program profits easily meets the financial needs of the remaining OSU intercollegiate and intramural sports programs. OSU students, fans and alumni enjoy the use of top notch facilities in large part due to the success of the Buckeyes. At Minnesota a profit margin of $28.5 million would provide the funds required for a basketball practice facility which is desperately needed if the Gophers are to be competitive as we move into the next decade.

Community
In 2009 University of Texas football games brought $99.3 million to the Austin, TX economy. When the Longhorns win people come to see them play. Bottom line, when the Longhorns win, Austin wins. The same would be true for the twin cites if the Gophers were winning on a consistent basis.

Pride
Last year Ohio State received merchandising revenues of $ 7.7 million. Buckeye success has generated a sense of pride in the institution by all Ohioans regardless of whether or not they are affiliated with the university. While Minnesota does not have the population base enjoyed by the Buckeyes a winning program goes a long way in generating school and state pride as well as increased revenues in merchandising and university donations.

When we don’t support the Gophers all of Minnesota is affected.

The U of Minn-Duluth Bulldogs win and moved to #1 in the D2 poll this week...and have a fan base of maybe a section at TCF. If you are serious about winning take the short drive up 35 and pack the house out. That would show the Admin. you are serious.

Top Bottom