Why So Many Empty Seats Saturday Night?

ORGopher

Reaction score
It looked to me on TV that there were a number of empty seats in the upper deck on Saturday...is that the student section? If so, did the U oversell the student section?

One reason

I believe on cold days this will happen. Many of the students and others are at the food concourse, where they can stand and watch the game under cover and from the side of the field.

I know that is what I would do if I was way up in the end zone.

Even with all the empty seats, the crowd was louder than ever -- thanks to the refs for inspiring good spirit. Many of us have been asking why not oversell the student section since the opening game. But now I'm even more puzzled by so many empty season ticket holder seats. When you can still read MINNESOTA in the stands, you know there are 10-20% no shows. But, again, the real fans showed up and were loud!

It looked to me on TV that there were a number of empty seats in the upper deck on Saturday...is that the student section? If so, did the U oversell the student section?

My understanding is, the students are also cramming themselves into the lower deck, since there aren't assigned sets and there generous space between seats in the areas with benches.

They should oversell the student section, but they won't.

I agree that they won't, but why not?

I went to see Nebraska AT USC and Southern Cal does oversell their student section. Before the gates opened the students were lined up to get in - first come first served. After they let x number of students through the gate, the others are shut out. They can then stick around if they want - as students leave additional students can come in. So I agree that the U will not oversell the student section, but it happens other places with seemingly good results.

3 of our seats went unused due to family staying home to trick or treat. We were hoping to sell before the game, but the market was flooded with people trying to sell.

I watched football all day on Saturday and TCF was more full than most of the stdiums I saw, despite having one of the least attractive time slots.

I believe on cold days this will happen. Many of the students and others are at the food concourse, where they can stand and watch the game under cover and from the side of the field.

I know that is what I would do if I was way up in the end zone.

+1

I agree Rog, Especially since I was one of them. Not by choice, I was waiting for a friend who had class that night and it ran over. I got razed by fellow Gopher fans in that section.

Not thread jacking here, but sidenotes are that it was nice that three "new" Gopher fans came along and enjoyed the game. Also of note, the free Chalupa wasn't that bad.:eek: For those who weren't at the game a fan won everyone a free Chalupa by answering a trivia question correctly.

The crowd was loud and I think the crowds volume helped us get a couple of make up calls in the fourth quarter.

I am hoping this was all due to a perfect storm of situations. First, it was Halloween and anyone with kids were looking to dump their tickets but had a market saturated with potential buyers that wouldn't take them because... well... it was Halloween.

Next, there were MANY high school football playoffs on Saturday. This further reduced the crowd due to conflicts and a smaller secondary market.

Last, the student section was barely over half full because despite being a night game, it was halloween and there are just too many party traditions. The student section really emptied out after half time.

Two additional thoughts... I have no idea who the people are in front of my seats but I think they have only attended one, maybe two games, but did have the seats filled for the open house in August. Why bother?

And lastly... there is always a few people that get all worked up and take it as "ripping on the students" when you share an observation of the empty student section. THIS IS NOT A RIP ON THE STUDENTS. For all I know they may be the best student fans in the history of college football. I am not disputing that. However, the FACT the student section has progressively been more empty with each passing game, does at least create a question about what can be done to fill the seats. Again, repeat... this is not a rip on the students that do show up, or even those who make other plans and do not attend the game. This is only a suggestion that some creative solutions be explored, or else just live with empty student sections to varying degrees.

I used to subscribe to the theory that the second deck corners of the student section were empty due to 'crowding' on the first deck. I held on to that through the Cal game. But, the one big fact that flies in the face of that idea is during the Air Force game the corners did eventually fill up. The next big problem with that is those empty corners grew between the Air Force and Cal games, grew again before the Wisconsin game, started to stay open at the very top of the second deck between the open corners for the Purdue game, and finally a large portion of the second deck student section stayed open for the entire MSU game (and nearly fully draining after halftime).

I have noticed the student section at Wisconsin is often half empty at kick off but it does eventually fill up each week.

are we really going to go through "this" thread for the 1,000th time? see schnauzer's reply. it pretty much answers everything. thanks

However, the FACT the student section has progressively been more empty with each passing game, does at least create a question about what can be done to fill the seats.

What can be done?

Allow people without Ucards to purchase these tickets. I left 8 friends (who wanted to go to the game) at my house to watch because none of them had Ucards so they couldn't get in.

The only downfall is for the Wisconsin/Iowa games you would get a lot of visiting fans in the student section.

What can be done?

Allow people without Ucards to purchase these tickets. I left 8 friends (who wanted to go to the game) at my house to watch because none of them had Ucards so they couldn't get in.

The only downfall is for the Wisconsin/Iowa games you would get a lot of visiting fans in the student section.

your friends should have came to the stadium, bought regular tickets for $5 outside and then sat with you in the student section.

I think this is the single most important thing in regards to our ticket policy. There were already too many Wisconsin fans in the student section this year. Gen admission would ruin it. I'll take empty seats before red and yellow ones that will potentially deflate our team. Create more season ticket sections, make the students clamor for tickets.

IMO, estimate the loyal student fan base through some kind of average head count at the last 5 minutes of games, and adjust accordingly. Seems Draconian, but I guarantee it would generate results. That's what we want, right?

BTW, in regards to the game, my buddy and I got in a half hour early (lower deck - student section) and watched as the season tix holders filled it up. Looked good. We honestly thought that the upper deck of the student section was filled up because it was pretty loud in there as the game started, and throughout the remainder. Too bad to see the situation after the third.

Nice job by those of us hanging on to keep the noise up. Great game.

are we really going to go through "this" thread for the 1,000th time? see schnauzer's reply. it pretty much answers everything. thanks

THank you! You just saved countless Gopherholers oodles of time & efforts wasted on reading & responding to this thread. LOL :rolleyes:

I was at the game and noticed a LOT of students leaving at halftime. We suspected it was to go back inside and party/drink/whatever. It continued throughout the game as well, but at halftime it was almost a mass exodus. We walked down the stairs thinking we could get out and have a beer at Sally's and come back. Good thing we asked the security guard if we could get back in and she said no.

They are overselling the student section now. I picked up an extra student section ticket for MSU and I already have student tickets. You still need a Ucard to get in but you don't have to be an active student.

It's not just the students. Both top corners had lots of empty seats. The visiting allotment returned by MSU nearest the students was also empty. Meaning there were single game tickets available but people didn't buy them.

Can't wait for the days where TCF is packed every game. Keep winning and convert fair weather fans to die hards.

It was announced as a sell-out. But the visiting sections had empty seats as did others.

Notice all the people walking around up top on the west side and end zone I don't believe those are assigned seats. And there are many people who stand in the concourse area to watch. I think that is one of the reasons.

how about this theory

we rarely had 50,000 at the dome - and that has not changed - the new stadium has not attracted a larger contingent of new fans - we still draw somewhere around 35,000 to 40,000 a game - no noticeable difference in a new fan base. We still have the loyal 30,000 season ticket holders and 10,000 or so students - no change from prior years

we rarely had 50,000 at the dome - and that has not changed - the new stadium has not attracted a larger contingent of new fans - we still draw somewhere around 35,000 to 40,000 a game - no noticeable difference in a new fan base. We still have the loyal 30,000 season ticket holders and 10,000 or so students - no change from prior years

Not true. There are way more people at the games this year. Not everyone who buys a ticket shows up, shows up early, stays until the end, and sits in exactly one alloted seat for the entire game. Hence, the empty seats.

Again, TCF was more full than any other venue on television on Saturday.

I'll say this much. Anyone who doesn't show up for a game because of weather should lose their tickets forever. Sack up people.

Khaliq trying out for the UMPD ticket police?

The answer is always the same: We have TERRIBLE fans.

Not true. There are way more people at the games this year. Not everyone who buys a ticket shows up, shows up early, stays until the end, and sits in exactly one alloted seat for the entire game. Hence, the empty seats.

Agree that its not true that we're only pulling 35,000-40,000 butts in the seats. Even with the empties last week you're looking at well more than that.

But his point about the strongest section of the fanbase being smaller (i.e. 30,000) is an accurate description. There are still plenty of fair-weather fans holding tickets. I'm disappointed that this is happening but frankly I'm not totally surprised.

That said, others have pointed out some very good reasons in addition to weather (Halloween for parents/kids, HS football playoffs, etc) that would contribute to the empties. Students are a different topic.

In the end winning puts the butts in the seats (and yes, I know everyone knows this).

Even more than my Autzen Stadium.....???

Top Bottom