WHY SATURDAY IS SO IMPORTANT

GOPHER.NATION. said:
This is a HUGE game. Please follow my explanation of how the next month plays out . . . after we beat the Cuse, we go into Iowa 4-0. After playing a beatable IA team, we keep the pig. After a bye week, we go into homecoming 5-0 and being ranked #25 in the nation. After playing a tough Northwestern team, we go into WI 6-0 with being ranked #19. After playing a beatable WI team, we storm the field and chop down the goal post with the mighty axe and are ranked #14 . . . and then what happens with recruits? ticket sales? believers?

JERRY JERRY JERRY!!!

KILL M ALL!!!

I get what you're saying, but if we beat IA, NW, and WI, I don't think having beaten Syracuse would add much to the excitement. 6-1 (3-0) would still have us ranked, bowl eligible, in the hunt for the B1G, and the pig and axe in our trophy case. A Syracuse loss would be an afterthought (unless we run the table and it cost us a shot at the National Championship ;)

This is a great opportunity. There is just a different vibe to campus. Also, the lines to get to meet with Coach Kill outside Northrop are huge and he's not even there yet.

With all the articles about small attendance, all the whining (including me!) here on gopher hole about how many students show up for the games, after all the frightful reports about filling our "stadiette" etc... don't ever forget the capacity for this town and state to jump behind something that it collectively feels is worth its time and attention. I have seen Williams Arena fill just to welcome the basketball team back to town. I have seen the Metrodome fill just to say "hi" to a hot Twins team. When the tide turns... IT TURNS. Hope that is happening now and I hope the team continues to build on the recent success. If it does, and more people start to understand that life after the metrodome has a lot more to offer for Gopher football and care about than just wins... perhaps some long term fans will be born. At the same time it is important to keep this in perspective and I sure hope that the fairweather masses don't take it the wrong way if the team loses in a very evenly matched game tomorrow.

A win keeps momentum going, and (hopefully) keeps building fan support. A win helps improve public perception of the team. A win may convince fans who are sitting on the fence to make a larger commitment. A win helps the players build confidence.

A loss slows momentum. A bad loss stops momentum. A loss hurts public perception of the team. A loss may convince fans who are sitting on the fence to not make a larger commitment. A loss may hurt player confidence.

Now - you could make the same statement about almost any game played. But - the Gophers' public perception and fan support is fragile. A bad loss in any game, and the media starts into the "same old Gophers" BS.

That's why I would say this game has a little more importance than a typical non-conference game. I've been watching the Gophers try to roll that metaphorical rock up the hill for a long time. I want to see that rock keep moving toward the summit - not roll halfway back down the hill.

Berkley Edwards:

"I want to see the game atmosphere on Saturday. I want to see how into the game the fans are and how they support the team. I am just excited to watch the game under the lights."

Tedric Thompson:

"Number one, the atmosphere for the game should be pretty good," Thompson told GopherIllustrated.com. "I heard that it's going to be a sellout and I really want to see how the crowd supports them.

Drew Wolitarsky:

"I'm obviously looking forward to seeing the game and the atmosphere around it itself," Wolitarsky told GopherIllustrated.com. "The coaches have been telling me how they're undefeated so far and that the stadium should be packed, so that's going to be an awesome experience.

and as quoted in my original post:

Hunter Jarmon:

I am really looking forward to seeing the fan support. I want to see how involved the students are. That is really important to me because I believe in the 12th man. I think it can help you either win or a lose a game.

Fans, lets do our part tonight.

Lose to Syracuse and beat Iowa no one will remember the loss to a Big East opponent.

I don't know if no one will remember but I agree with your general point. If we are going to split the next 2, I'd take the Iowa game any time.

It's is a big game. But the other NC games were huge too .... Each one of them in different ways. UNLV was a game I think most people expected us to win and it wouldn't have help the fan base excitement to drop the opener against a shaky team. New Hampshire ... I have to believe given our track record with the Dakota schools that it was a game that many were nervous about. A loss there, as silly as it seems in retrospect, is an absolute disaster. Western Michigan loss would have blown up any good feelings from the 2 win start despite the fact that they probably aren't a bad team. So I see Syracuse as a big one, but not monumental in that its hard for me to look at a Syracuse loss as a major setback. I hope someday soon we get to that point. Disappointing and momentum stopping, yes. But I think a loss v Cuse and a win v Iowa keeps us rolling. Back to back losses would be troubling.

Holy hypothetical talk, Batman. Lets just hope it's a W! Go Gophers.

Berkley Edwards:

"I want to see the game atmosphere on Saturday. I want to see how into the game the fans are and how they support the team. I am just excited to watch the game under the lights."

Tedric Thompson:

"Number one, the atmosphere for the game should be pretty good," Thompson told GopherIllustrated.com. "I heard that it's going to be a sellout and I really want to see how the crowd supports them.

Drew Wolitarsky:

"I'm obviously looking forward to seeing the game and the atmosphere around it itself," Wolitarsky told GopherIllustrated.com. "The coaches have been telling me how they're undefeated so far and that the stadium should be packed, so that's going to be an awesome experience.

and as quoted in my original post:

Hunter Jarmon:

I am really looking forward to seeing the fan support. I want to see how involved the students are. That is really important to me because I believe in the 12th man. I think it can help you either win or a lose a game.

Fans, lets do our part tonight.

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkADj0TPrJA

WOW - it looks like its on us tonight Gopher fans - C'mon loud and rowdy!!

Top Bottom