Why let Claeys coach the bowl game?

Winnipegopher

Wag more, bark less
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me why they fire Claeys now and not several weeks ago? Was it just a cynical ploy to keep the players from boycotting?

I don't see how the decision to fire comes now. It could have come in September with news of a recruit involved in the gang bang. It could have come post-Wisconsin. It could have come post Claeys tweet. Even December 28 would have been better. Why now?

Coyle would prefer to hire someone 2 weeks before signing day and leave the new staff picking up the scraps.

Because PJ Fleck was still coaching yesterday.

All things considered it would have been better to get this done a while ago but nothing about this whole process has made much sense so waiting until now fits right along with all that.

None of it Makes Sense

Coyle announced and backed Tracy as his coach at the close of the regular season. Then he says today he is firing him because of culture, recruiting, academics, ticket sales and he lost to Wisconsin. Were you lying then or are you lying now?

The parents of the football players who have spoken are very disappointed in the decision. Their opinions don't matter either? I get you can't have the inmates run the asylum but this is silly. Best in academics. 87 players in discipleship programs at the urging of coaches. Etc

Coyle said the buyout was not being discounted by the January date...so that is not why he waited.

Can anyone explain to me why they fire Claeys now and not several weeks ago? Was it just a cynical ploy to keep the players from boycotting?

I don't see how the decision to fire comes now. It could have come in September with news of a recruit involved in the gang bang. It could have come post-Wisconsin. It could have come post Claeys tweet. Even December 28 would have been better. Why now?
Good point. Timing does not seem to be a strong point for these people, as in the timing of the player suspension notification. I think Coyle just didn't like Claeys and found him insubordinate because of the Twitter note, but didn't want to have another boycott. The whole exercise was a rotten one on Coyle's part, with Kaler standing around watching.

Coyle announced and backed Tracy as his coach at the close of the regular season. Then he says today he is firing him because of culture, recruiting, academics, ticket sales and he lost to Wisconsin. Were you lying then or are you lying now?

The parents of the football players who have spoken are very disappointed in the decision. Their opinions don't matter either? I get you can't have the inmates run the asylum but this is silly. Best in academics. 87 players in discipleship programs at the urging of coaches. Etc

Coyle said the buyout was not being discounted by the January date...so that is not why he waited.

Pitiful excuses, he can't just say it was because we wanted the bowl money.

Could it be that Coyle isn't the cold-hearted cynic we think he is? Unless something new developed at the meeting this week, Coyle likely had his mind made up before bowl game. He allowed Claeys to coach the bowl game, end the season with the seniors, and honored the buyout contract. I'm sure Claeys, the players, and fans would prefer this to the alternative of firing Claeys pre-bowl.

It's because the administration has no backbone. They were bullied by the likes of Joe Nathan.

Because Coyle wants to burn it all down first?

Who knows... our AD doesn't actually say anything. The few times he has it sounds like he throws the laundry list at the wall and hopes it sticks.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm concerned this AD is in over his head.

So they could win, pretty simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The delay makes sense if AD Coyle (and probably President Kaler) expected a complete bowl blow-out, which would have made yesterday much easier.

This thinking would have the benefit of closing out the season as Nokomis offers but would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Because of the great win (and it was a great win) he had to go back to the Wisconsin loss for that part of the firing rationale.

The thought experiment that we'll never get to run is if the events of September 2 did not transpire...but we basically ended up where we are now...how would Coyle do it?

Stay tuned...

Before the suspensions/boycott he didn't feel he could get away with firing him after an 8-4 season, even though Coyle clearly was already planning the Claeys regime endgame at that point. If he fired Claeys after the boycott began then the bowl game would have been a complete mess - if the players even showed up to play. I think that probably explains the timing.

Because if he fired Claeys before you had the real possibility that the boycott mess would have gotten bigger and there would not be any bowl game which hurts the big ten.

Coyle wants his own guy. Quite frankly after the press conference I think Tracy was never in the Big Picture. Bottom line, Coyle wants more than an old ball coach and neither Claeys and to some extent Kill fit that mode. If he pulls it off, more power to him.

Top Bottom