Why Jedd Fisch over Horton??

nemosgold

Reaction score
I'm just interested why are people more interested in Fisch over Horton?? (Besides Horton coaching at Wisconsin)

I hope he's successful, glad to see the Lions interviewed him for their OC position.

In my eyes I thought Brew needed another experienced coach on his staff I don't care what the "name" is as long as they do a good job. If you look at our staff we don't have a lot of BCS experience on our coaching staff. (Davis and Cosgrove are our most experienced) Is that OK??

From my perspective, as I just posted on the other thread, I just like the idea of someone fresh who isn't a re-tread - maybe some new ideas, etc. We'll see...

From my perspective, as I just posted on the other thread, I just like the idea of someone fresh who isn't a re-tread - maybe some new ideas, etc. We'll see...

I agree with TCF but hope this doesn't turn into an Everett Withers-type situation. Withers never really could turn his NFL knowledge into a digestible plan for college kids.

retreads

I'm a sucker for the new guy with the "new ideas" too. I have to tell myself that there are people who do poorly at one place and then do well at another (Bill Belichick - Cleveland and New England). I however get stuck thinking about other retreads (Dan Hennings, Ted Tollner, Paul Hackett, Dave Wannestadt - who has done OK at Pitt but I predict will also bomb there too) who get multiple opportunites and bomb everywhere.

I like a hungry young coach with alot to prove. He has worked for some good head men and you can't help but pick up some things. Now he's the man calling the plays. It might take awhile, but give the guy a chance. Young, daring and educated ,I like that.

If he was not good he would not have been with that many different teams in the NFL. A friend would have gotten him a job on one team and then he would have been out of the league after that. So I trust that he is an up and coming coach. I like it.

Was it Withers?

I agree with TCF but hope this doesn't turn into an Everett Withers-type situation. Withers never really could turn his NFL knowledge into a digestible plan for college kids.

He did a pretty amazing job at NC this year. I tend to think he learned a few things while he was with the Gophers for a year, but having talented players makes a big difference.

Don't Forget...

He was also interviewed as an OC candidate at UCLA last year. He lost out to Norm Chow, but you can't blame him for UCLA picking a guy with Chow's status and track record over him.

Go Gophers!!!

Because he has never been demoted from OC to position coach.

In all honesty

I have followed the O.C. search as closely as anyone. In all honesty, I have to admit I had never heard of any of the candidates except Applewhite and Heupel. And I knew them only because they were big name players at big name schools. I'll just defer to Brewster and Maturi on this one. I do get a kick out of all the wringing of hands and criticism from all the Brewster haters, though. So what it took 2 weeks. So what if he said it would be a 'kill shot'. Who honestly knows the difference between Fisch and Horton?

If he was not good he would not have been with that many different teams in the NFL. A friend would have gotten him a job on one team and then he would have been out of the league after that. So I trust that he is an up and coming coach. I like it.

How do you explain Childress then, lol. I like the Jedd Fisch idea.

I don't see that in his bio, he had a change of position with Hasslett, which is understandable.

I'd be OK with either guy, just seems like Horton has a lot more experience.

http://www.stlouisrams.com/Team/Coaches/53067/

He formerly called plays. That responsibility was taken away from him.

If you want another reason, Fisch came with high praise from Neuheisel and Shanahan (two great offensive minds) and Horton came with high praise from Linnehan (they guy that took away his play calling responsibilities).

He formerly called plays. That responsibility was taken away from him.

If you want another reason, Fisch came with high praise from Neuheisel and Shanahan (two great offensive minds) and Horton came with high praise from Linnehan (they guy that took away his play calling responsibilities).

I'm sorry I still can't find a source that says he called plays, I've found one that said he assisted in calling plays.

Another question for all does this mean will be a 50/50 team as far as shotgun to under center? Maybe a little more like Ohio State?

I surmise it was more of a "personal comfort" thing

Sometimes when you interview a guy (or gal!) you just feel more personally comfortable with him/her.

I also supect that Brewster is quite inclined to trust Shanahan's judgement....

The big issue appears to be that Fisch was more successful in presenting a case for his quarterback coaching abilities. In addition, supposedly Manning wanted him to come to Indi as the QB coach (Walters claims Manning was texting Fisch while Fisch and Brewster were having dinner Monday).

Top Bottom