Why is everybody so pessimistic?

When Jerry Kill was hired, I thought it one of the worst decisions made. Then, I got whipped for the opinion. For some reason, I changed my mind and thought he was a good coach. But, his weak spot continues to be unproven growth in the team. How can we recruit with no victories in the conference? How can we dispel rumors when they turn into reality? When the fan base becomes a battle ground of ideas, we know things are not stable. Instability is the mark of this program. adding losses and health problems is becoming a major irritant. We need to pay more for improvement across the board. Not enough to make a difference.

Why do so many people think that football is about "fooling or tricking" their opponent. The game has been around for over 100 years. There are few who actually go out to fool their opponent anymore. The point now is to out execute or out talent the other team. Since out talenting is not available right now, they have to out execute. And that has been the problem so far. But I see it getting better each season under Kill. Just don't know how far he'll be able to go with that.

There have been a lot of dumb posts on Gopherhole over the years...
...that's all I have to say in this reply.

why all the hard on's for Brewster and Mason???? theyre gone never to return!

When Jerry Kill was hired, I thought it one of the worst decisions made. Then, I got whipped for the opinion. For some reason, I changed my mind and thought he was a good coach. But, his weak spot continues to be unproven growth in the team. How can we recruit with no victories in the conference? How can we dispel rumors when they turn into reality? When the fan base becomes a battle ground of ideas, we know things are not stable. Instability is the mark of this program. adding losses and health problems is becoming a major irritant. We need to pay more for improvement across the board. Not enough to make a difference.

so we can't recruit w/o conference victories...
and we can't get conference victories w/o recruits.

bring forth a solution then.

so we can't recruit w/o conference victories...
and we can't get conference victories w/o recruits.
The premise actually isn't true. Multiple studies have shown that wins and losses in and of themselves have very little effect on recruits' decisions.

The premise actually isn't true. Multiple studies have shown that wins and losses in and of themselves have very little effect on recruits' decisions.

OK, I'll bite. Can you direct me to a couple of these studies?
Thanks in advance.

I remember Mason's favorite trick play well. He'd have Barber throw a TD pass in a meaningless game against Ohio U. and then try it again in a huge game against Michigan, only to have it picked.

No that was Ohio U with 2 halfback passes for a TD in the same game. I hate to remember I was there...

I seem to recall Oklahoma St just did a study. Money for nothing and your chicks for free were the winners...

There have been a lot of dumb posts on Gopherhole over the years...
...that's all I have to say in this reply.

Ok, I'll play along. So a team that doesn't have as much talent and can't out execute yet should expand their gameday playbook to more plays they can't out talent with or execute? Ingenious. You know, every team that struggles has boards like this where the fans say they know exactly which play is coming or that their team isn't creative enough. How about fans being more creative and not following the same old tired philosophy. Until they can execute their current plays, you don't add more.

No that was Ohio U with 2 halfback passes for a TD in the same game. I hate to remember I was there...

I do remember Mase trying it again against Michigan at the end of the game (home game). Mason always used the trick plays early only to have them fail late in the season. Never understood the strategy!

yes, we lost 42-13, yes, maybe the coaching staff was a little bit conservative but overall i am very pleased with what we saw and the progress we made and i believe we are light years ahead of where we were last week, the game was a lot closer then the final score, we were tied well into the second quarter and were in the game well into the third quarter, there are a few points i want to make

Offensively some of you may say we only scored 13 which is nothing special but you need to look deeper then that. Liedener went 14-21 as a freshman, accumulated over 200 yards of offense, i think he will be a very good QB in the future, possibly a top 3 QB in the conference by his senior year, he is just as good of a runner as Marqueis was with his combo of size and speed and will be a much better passer then Queis ever was, he did have 2 costly turn overs but he is a freshman and will learn. our O-line was actually capable of moving and clearing out some bodies and Roderick Williams had a few nice runs, and we got over 280 yards of total offense, that is 120 yards more then last week against a superior defense, we rushed for over 130 yards, while we only rushed for 30 yards last week, that is more then 4 times more yards then last week, and i think Maxx Williams will be a first team all B1G TE down the road, he showed what he is capable of and Wolitarsky will be a very good player as well,

defensively we held Fitz Touscant, a more talented back then Weisman to only 78 yards and held Michigan to 113 yards rushing, last week Weisman ran for 147 yards on us and Iowa as a team ran for 250 on us, that is huge progress, i felt like our Front seven played well stopping the run and Damien Wilson and James Manuel played well and did a nice job of shedding blocks and getting tackles, we held Michigan to over 100 total yards less then Iowa and Michigan is a much more talented, more potent offense then iowa is.

the only true negative for me were the secondary and maybe our lack of a pass rush, we also had a lot of uncharacteristic penalties that i was disapointed about, that is something i prided this team on and our discipline but Gardener is a very talented QB, he has had his ups and downs this year but he had a bye week to get some work done, i honestly believe he will be a top 5 heisman contender next year, kickoff and punt coverage were also great, and we only had one less first down them Michigan had, 17-16, overall i took away a lot more positives then negatives away from this game and i would think that more people would be able to realize this

i think most people still thought we would be a lower tier team, but most including me thought our offense and QB would improve significantly. so far not close.
It is never as bad as it seems or as good as it seems, but this team needs to be able to do something well consistently on offense, and right now they can't execute anything well consistently on O.
Additionally, I thought our dbacks would be great, and the talent is there, but the constant nicks keep us form getting momentum.
I have not given up at all, but i am ready for a week off when I don't have to think about what could go wrong. or if we have a QB that can hit an uncovered receiver.

Ok, I'll play along. So a team that doesn't have as much talent and can't out execute yet should expand their gameday playbook to more plays they can't out talent with or execute? Ingenious. You know, every team that struggles has boards like this where the fans say they know exactly which play is coming or that their team isn't creative enough. How about fans being more creative and not following the same old tired philosophy. Until they can execute their current plays, you don't add more.

You said nobody tries to fool the other team. Nothing was said about adding plays.

You said nobody tries to fool the other team. Nothing was said about adding plays.

If you're complaining that they are not creative enough, then you are stating that they should add plays to their gameday playbook.

If you're complaining that they are not creative enough, then you are stating that they should add plays to their gameday playbook.

This is a football message board. Perhaps you're in the wrong place? Sounds like the sport for you is a non-thinking game. Maybe one like arm wrestling. Or golf.

This is a football message board. Perhaps you're in the wrong place? Sounds like the sport for you is a non-thinking game. Maybe one like arm wrestling. Or golf.

Since I've been allowed to play football and coach football, clearly someone in a position of authority concerning football thinks I know what I'm doing. And since your only follow up is too try and insult, clearly your the non-thinker in this discussion.

Top Bottom