Why doesn't Brewster name himself OC?

Letsgogophers

Reaction score
His head is on the line this coming season. He might as well run the offense himself. If he's no better than 500 again, he's gone imo.

His head is on the line this coming season. He might as well run the offense himself. If he's no better than 500 again, he's gone imo.

He probably knows that if he did this that it would only further show his incompetence because he wouldn't have a clue. Remember in 17 years he couldn't get a coordinator job even once.

He probably knows that if he did this that it would only further show his incompetence because he wouldn't have a clue. Remember in 17 years he couldn't get a coordinator job even once.

Do you know if he wanted one?

This won't happen but you actually do have a good point. Brewster's job probably hangs on the balance of the offense showing improvement. If our offense plays as it did the final four games of the season, we will probably win only 3-4 games at the very most and he is most likely gone.

It's tough to put your fate in someone else's hands, but that very well might be what Brewster is doing with his offensive coordinator next season. And if I were Brewster, I would probably think that I could do a lot better than what the offensive coordinator did for me last season!

Gold Rush, you are right about the three or four games - and I don't think Brew or Davis would do much better than that - which is why he needs a successful college OC, even if from lower divisions (someone who has shown a flair for the job and can win close games).

Brew has to know that 2010 will probably be his last in Minnesota. If Fisch is gone, and Davis is gone or doesn't want to be an OC, maybe it would be smart for Brew to do it himself. It could be great for his resume. And if he miraculously went 5-3 in the Big Ten, imagine how good he will have made himself look. He can't really hurt anything by trying it.

Gold Rush, you are right about the three or four games - and I don't think Brew or Davis would do much better than that - which is why he needs a successful college OC, even if from lower divisions (someone who has shown a flair for the job and can win close games).

The great challenge there is finding someone who can run this type of offense and he is going to have to find him fairly quickly, too. There is no way you can change the offense AGAIN at this point. Brewster will look like he doesn't know what he is doing and throwing darts at the wall if he tries to change it.

Then furthermore, this guy that he brings in will have to figure out a way to make an offense that this offensive unit was having a lot of trouble with work out so they understand it. And he will probably know that he has to have this done right now too or he could be out of a job in less than a year. It can be done, but it will be very tough to do.

Thanks Fisch........

I think the first post is a bit asinine, but anyways...

whoever Brewster hires, I hope he goes back to primarily running a spread offense. He has the personnel that would fit the spread better, and you can always have a special jumbo set to get the tough yardage when needed. But the whole point of this post is this: if he continues to venture away from the spread, I think it would continue to hurt his chances with recruiting skill players from Texas. It's no secret that Brewster has tried to take advantage of the surplus of talent, but... the trend here is that more offenses are running a spread offense. If he wants skill players that are comfortable going from high school to college and being able to compete earlier... he should really think about using the spread again. Texas will always have great defensive players based on numbers alone, but if you run a system that the offensive recruits aren't familiar with then that's just one more negative that goes along with distance from home, weather, etc.

I thought he was definitely on the right track until the change in OC. Now, I'm hoping he gets back to using the spread.

New OC=new system, new plays and almost starting all over. We saw what has happened everytime he's made a change. He needs to keep the current system, and put himself in the OC spot. I don't know of ANY successful coordinator who is willing to come to Minnesota and use someone else's offense. (and especially with the potential for a one year stint) Brew says he wants to keep it the current system, so where does he turn? (I guess an existing asst coach is an alternative)

Guys, you're making way too much out of a "new system". How did Georgia Tech do in year one in Paul Johnson's option system? How did Purdue do this year as the year went on. If you have quality assistant coaches that can teach the system shouldn't matter. Everyone is trying to make it sound like Fisch had too complicated of a system, was it? They tried to run a power running scheme, dive, power zone and traps. Watch Wisconsin 2nd half vs us, they ran Power about 10 different ways by formation it was nothing tricky nothing hard to learn. In all honesty I believe that was what Fisch and Brew would like to do. The passing game, again nothing tricky, watch the film. Do I agree with trying to throw the ball vertical the first 6 of 8 plays against Illinois no. Do I agree on running a 3 yard route on 3rd and 6, depends on the coverage. I don't think our offensive staff has good coaches, some are way too young and inexperienced.

Top Bottom