Why does Michigan still have interest from 4-5 star recruits?

Reaction score
Michigan QB Joe Milton enters draft portal, creating more questions for Jim Harbaugh. The proof is in the pudding as players are not improving at Michigan. What year will they turn into Nebraska? Do recruits not look at the history development of past players? Why would players go to Penn State with their history of sexual abuse of African-American boys?

Same could have been said for USC, where high profile croots go to ... just you never hear about them again.

Some schools just have that traction with recruits... and they can PAY for people who have that traction with recruits.

Michigan just has the tradition and the state produces a lot of 4 and 5* talent. Where they going to go? Ohio State?

Look at all the NFL players from Michigan, USC, Penn State. All three are historic programs that are national brands. Their facilities are amazing and you play in front of huge crowds every Saturday.

Why Heyer would be interested in Michigan is confusing to me.

Look at all the NFL players from Michigan, USC, Penn State. All three are historic programs that are national brands. Their facilities are amazing and you play in front of huge crowds every Saturday.
This. I dislike Michigan as much as the next guy, and yes they have underperformed in recent years, but to my knowledge (feel free to prove me wrong as I could be), they aren't lacking in players developing and going to the NFL. Combine that with tradition and facilities and education and I can see the appeal.

Those three examples also are in recruiting hot beds in comparison to Nebraska. Tons of high profile recruits in Michigan and surrounding states...same with PA and CA.

They appear to have 38 guys in the NFL on 23 different teams. 16 are #1 on the depth chart for their position.

Minnesota has like 7 active NFLers and 2 I think are #1 on the depth chart.

Thats why.

Well 3 things. It takes a lot longer than just a few down years for a helmet school to lose its luster, it takes decades of mediocrity.

Also over the last 4 years, Michigan has had the 4th most players drafted behind only Bama, OSU and LSU but haven’t had a top 4 recruiting since Harbaugh has been there IIRC So you could argue that Michigan is actually overachieving in terms of player development.

And lastly, aside from this year, they’ve still been pretty good winning 9-10 games every year in a tough division.

They put guys in the pros, elite school and if you've ever been at a game at The Big House - it is an amazing experience.

If you recruit a lot of four and five star players you end up putting a lot of guys in the pros.

If you recruit a lot of four and five star players you end up putting a lot of guys in the pros.
It's definitely a chicken or egg thing. The schools who "put a lot of players in the pros" in general are starting with more NFL caliber players. However the point here is OP is incorrect in saying that Michigan players aren't developing, at least in terms of getting to the NFL.

They’ve had more guys in the pros then their recruiting rankings would project. Only OSU, Bama and LSU have had more guy drafted in the last 4 years and if you take the average class ranking of the 4 classes those guys came in at, it’s like 12th or something. So they’ve outperformed the right recruiting rankings in a sense.

I never hear anyone talk about the actual campus. I hate to say it but if you compare our campus against Michigan's or Penn State's and theirs are hands down nicer. I'm not talking about the value of the degree....just the campus and stadium.

I never hear anyone talk about the actual campus. I hate to say it but if you compare our campus against Michigan's or Penn State's and theirs are hands down nicer. I'm not talking about the value of the degree....just the campus and stadium.
Michigan is a great school too.

They are the biggest thing in those towns. Have not been to either stadiums but The Bank is pretty awesome.

Knocking Michigan (and Harbaugh) has recently become trendy, but what is considered underperforming for them in the Harbaugh years, is pretty impressive. 49-22 record and three ten win seasons. 4 top 20 finishes in 6 years....oh, and they've had 34 players drafted in that 6 year span as well

Knocking Michigan (and Harbaugh) has recently become trendy, but what is considered underperforming for them in the Harbaugh years, is pretty impressive. 49-22 record and three ten win seasons. 4 top 20 finishes in 6 years....oh, and they've had 34 players drafted in that 6 year span as well
People don't do it because it is "trendy"... Jim has underperformed.

Their school is highly respected for academics. They get over 100,000 people to their games.
They travel to Europe and exotic places as a team. "We have historic football tradition that just needs you to get us back on top again once again." I'm sure there's more that would make it fairly easy to persuade guys to at least consider Michigan,

Their previous QB is selling insurance and playing behind Johnnie M and the SJU QB in arena football. McCaffery transferred to go play for his dad and little brother in Colorado, and QB Milton a 6'6" 260 kid is in the portal and will make a good TE somewhere. Their 2021 QB's from Chicago and his dad owns Ford dealerships.

I'd take it. But that's the floor there and OS owns them.

Top Bottom