why a gopher?

melbo

Reaction score
While we are all waiting for the pairings to be announced I have a question. So that my question is not taken in a negative way let me first state that I love the gopher mascot. one of the best of all the school mascots.My question is how did a gopher come to be the mascot(symbol of UM] in the first place? Is the gopher a state animal or was there a contest or what?

from wiki:

The Gopher mascot is a tradition as old as the state. Minnesota was tabbed the “Gopher State” in 1857 after a satirizing cartoon, depicting nine Gophers with the heads of local politicians pulling a locomotive, was published.[1] The story was over legislative action for a $5 million railroad proposal in western Minnesota. Later, the University picked up the nickname.

The “Golden” adjective has not always been a part of the Gopher nickname. During the 1930s, the Gophers wore gold jerseys and pants. Legendary KSTP radio announcer Halsey Hall coined the term “Golden Gophers” in reference to the team’s all-gold attire on the field. From 1932 through 1941, Minnesota compiled an impressive record, losing only 12 games and winning seven Big Ten titles and five national championships—a true “golden” decade of Gopher football

Thanks Schnoodler, Impressed with your depth of knowledge. Very interesting info thanks again.

Thank wiki and google. My head is uselessly empty. glad to be of service.

Top Bottom