Who's The 5th?

Reaction score
Tubby becomes one of only 5 coaches to lead 4 different teams into NCAA tourney.

Eddie Sutton, Rick Pitino, Lefty Driesell, Tubby, and ???

I cannot recall the other one.

Dunno

I just hope Tubby's goal is not to be one of the few (if any) who have lead 5 different teams.

Lon Kruger is correct.

However, Tubby is not the only coach to join this group this season. There is another.

Who? Michigan coach John Beilein. Had previously led Canisius, Richmond and West Virginia to the tournament.

Two other guys could join this list: Houston coach Tom Penders (Rhode Island, Texas, George Washington) and Wagner coach Mike Deane (Siena, Marquette, Lamar).

One guy I thought was on this list was Huggins. Obviously there was Akron, UC and West Virginia, but I forgot that his one K-State team was a bubble team that didn't get in.

Actually, I think Beilein and Tubby became the 6th and 7th coaches to take four different teams to the NCAA.

Jim Harrick had previously taken Pepperdine, UCLA, Rhode Island, and Georgia.

Good stuff. Is it also true that Tubby has never lost in teh first round or is that incorrect?

Who is Patino's 4th team? Providence, UK, Louisville and ?

Who is Patino's 4th team? Providence, UK, Louisville and ?

Here's the list of 7.

1) Tubby (Tulsa, Georgia, KY, MN)
2) Sutton (Creighton, Arkansas, Kentucky, Oklahoma State)
3) Beilein (Canisius, Richmond, WVU, Michigan)
4) Harrick (Pepperdine, UCLA, Rhode Island, Georgia)
5) Driesel (Davidson, Maryland, George Mason, Georgia State)
6) Kruger (KSU, Florida, Illinois, UNLV)
7) Pitino (Boston, Providence, Kentucky, Louisville)

As indicated above, it's Boston U. Pitino's BU teams had a fierce rivalry with Fairfield U back then.

The Fairfield coach?

Jim Calhoun, now UConn.

I think you mean Northeastern. Calhoun coached Northeastern, not Fairfield.

Top Bottom