Who Will Take Over At Quarterback for the Golden Gophers in 2023?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Caleb:

As Tanner Morgan enters his sixth and final season at the University of Minnesota, it is safe to wonder who is going to take over at quarterback once he’s gone. Quarterbacks currently on the roster are Athan Kaliakmanis, Jacob Knuth, and Cole Kramer. They also have Drew Viotto, a 2023 commit. With Morgan leaving after this season the Gophers are going to need to find his replacement. Let’s take a look at who might be the quarterback of the Gophers come 2023.

Athan Kaliakmanis​

Athan Kaliakmanis was signed as a part of the 2021 recruiting class. Kaliakmanis was a 4-star recruit out of Antioch, Illinois. He was the second rated quarterback in the state, the 31st ranked quarterback in the nation and 319th nationally. He received offers from Iowa, Tennessee, and Purdue (to name a few) before signing with the Gophers back on March 27th of 2019.

The quarterback stands at 6-4 and weighs 190 pounds. He has four years of eligibility remaining at Minnesota. Kaliakmanis’s stats in two years in high school (2017-2018) were a completion percentage of 63%, throwing for 3,293 yards and 26 touchdowns. He also rushed for 736 yards and ten touchdowns.

The report on Kaliakmanis is that he has good size for a pro style quarterback and is a dual threat. He has great arm talent with everything necessary to make all the throws. Kaliakmanis has a quick release with good speed and precision. With great arm strength he is able to hit any part of the field. Kaliakmanis is very athletic outside of the pocket making him very dangerous. He doesn’t panic when under pressure, and is able to make throws when pressured outside. A couple areas to work on are reading the defenses better and continuing to refine his mechanics, while getting better at making quick decisions.

Jacob Knuth​

Jacob Knuth was a recruit out of the 2022 class. He was a 3-star recruit out of Harrisburg, South Dakota. He was the number one rated quarterback in the state, 52nd ranked quarterback in the nation, and 848th nationally. The Gophers were the only offer he received and signed with them on June 18th, 2022. Knuth has four years of eligibility remaining.

The quarterback is 6-4 and weighs 205 pounds. In three years playing in high school he had a completion percentage of 61%, throwing for 5,916 yards, 64 touchdowns and 23 interceptions. He also rushed for 1,090 yards and 19 touchdowns.

His report says he is a great size for a dual quarterback. Knuth has good movement in the backfield and is able to survey the field well. Accuracy wise, he is consistent and precise with his delivery. Due to the long extension of his arm Knuth is able to get some good height on the ball when he throws, making a good threat in the vertical passing game. Knuth uses the entire field well and is able to move outside the pocket when needed. Knuth is patient in the pocket but is good at getting the ball out of his hands quickly. An issue with Knuth is he isn’t good at going through his progressions and tends to focus on his top two receivers. Look for him to potentially develop this in his time with the Gophers.

Cole Kramer

Kramer is going into his fourth year at the University of Minnesota. Kramer redshirted in 2019 and saw only a little bit of playing time that season and didn’t play at all in 2020. In 2021 Kramer saw a lot more action playing in eight games. He was a 3-star recruit in the 2018 class out of Eden Prairie, Minnesota. Kramer is 6-1 and weighs 205 pounds. Since being at Minnesota Kramer has only made five passing attempts throwing for 62 yards and two touchdowns and an interception. He has had better success running the ball with 165 yards and two touchdowns on 36 carries.

Drew Viotto​

Drew Viotto is currently a commit in the 2023 recruiting class. He is a 3-star recruit out of Walled Lake Western Novie, Michigan. He is the 19th rated quarterback in the state of Michigan, 57th ranked quarterback in the nation, and 1086th nationally. Other than Minnesota, he has received offers from Syracuse and Maryland (to name a couple). Viotto has yet to sign with the Gophers. Viotto is 6-4 and weighs 215 pounds. In one year in high school Viotto had a completion percentage of 68.5%, throwing for 1,944 yards, 22 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

Go Gophers!!

I just hope A.K. and Knuth get some playing time experience this year. Hopefully have a large enough lead in a few games to see them perform.
Absolutely. Hopefully not through significant injury to Morgan, at least one of these guys really needs to get on the field and preferably not just mop-up duty.

Being a Harrisburg Tiger Alum I would love to see Knuth take over! He looks the part physically and from the little I have heard he is a good kid!

As always we will have to wait to see how it plays out. Its usually futile to try and figure this out. I'll be behind whoever gets the nod and I feel for those who never get a chance.

If one of the two young recruits turns out to be “program changer” good we’ll be batting above average. Fingers crossed. They both look good…

I just hope A.K. and Knuth get some playing time experience this year. Hopefully have a large enough lead in a few games to see them perform.
That would be fun to see as a fan, but I don't think it really has as big an impact on how they would play next year as we tend to think.

The goal for non-conference should be to get early leads so AK (or someone else) can get a few series where they throw balls on 2nd or 3rd down.

The goal should not be to play Tanner until 4 minutes are left with a 31-10 lead.

That would be fun to see as a fan, but I don't think it really has as big an impact on how they would play next year as we tend to think.
This is such an odd take. Nothing beats real game experience. Even mop-up duty is better than nothing. I assume you are more of the observer type and never really a participant at any level?

PJ putting in reserves when the game is in hand with more than a 3-4 minutes left?

This is such an odd take. Nothing beats real game experience. Even mop-up duty is better than nothing. I assume you are more of the observer type and never really a participant at any level?
I don’t think a little mop up duty makes a big difference. Point out an observation to the contrary and I’ll gladly listen.

Has to be AK next. In the system for two years. Can make all the throws, PJ often says. Knuth should redshirt and Kramer should spell Tanner in the QB version of wildcat.

The Greek may take over this year.
🤔
The_Greek_The_Wire.jpg

Nothing against Kramer but I hope it isn’t Kramer

Anyone else would give me hopes of a step up. Kramer I would say we are at best breaking even.

Nothing against Kramer but I hope it isn’t Kramer

Anyone else would give me hopes of a step up. Kramer I would say we are at best breaking even.
Kramer would be surprise

Either he has a David Cobb out of nowhere improvement or other guys flopped.

If Kramer wouldn't have returned for his 6th year it would have been Kramer. But seeing he did return 8t will be a recruit to be named latter.

If Kramer wouldn't have returned for his 6th year it would have been Kramer. But seeing he did return 8t will be a recruit to be named latter.
Assuming you mean Morgan. If Morgan doesn't return, maybe both Annexstad and Clark don't transfer. An open competition between those three or two of the three would be the result. Plus AK still in the mix. Not going to assume Kramer wins it. Maybe so. Maybe not.

Morgan's decision had a domino effect. (Btw I'm happy he's back and think he gets back to 2019ish levels)

Last edited:

Maybe.

Or Kramer loves playing big ten football, has a Role, and would rather have that role than be a backup (non wildcat) somewhere else or a starter at the d2/FCs level

A lot of guys are on big ten football teams but are never starters

Top Bottom