Who should do the honorary coin flip at the first game at TCF Bank Stadium?

• Murray Warmath

Votes: 36 64.3%
  • Bobby Bell

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Bud Grant

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Carl Eller

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - list the name

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters

Stan

Reaction score

Bronko Nagurski.

Bring in someone from the last time the Gophers were good.

Well, GVBadger...that would qualify Murray Warmath.

Bronko Nagurski.

Bring in someone from the last time the Gophers were good.

Right we had no great teams after he left. We only won 3 more Championship.

I have an idea. For our Big10 opener against WI we could have a member from one of your National Championship Football Teams flip the coin. Oh never mind, I forgot the Badgers wouldn't have anyone!

me

You can laugh all you want but I think it should be the last guy to score for the Gophers at Memorial stadium. Maybe Brunnicks since he is really the huy to get this done.

Easy stuff here

President Bruinks
Joel Maturi
Sen. Geoff Michael
Sen. Larry Pegemiller
and that nut job Phillis Kahn just for the laughs

How about the 1981 Team

The last team to play on Campus. Maybe Ed Olson, a former Captain.

I don't think it should be Mason, but the idea is far from a joke. He
had a lot to do with getting the stadium.

I think it should be Warmath, but I believe it would be more than
appropriate for a contingent of notables to join him on the field,
and I do think that Mason should be one of them.

If Mason was part of the coin flip...would he get booed, and how badly?

I don't think it should be Mason, but the idea is far from a joke. He
had a lot to do with getting the stadium.

I think it should be Warmath, but I believe it would be more than
appropriate for a contingent of notables to join him on the field,
and I do think that Mason should be one of them.

yea, think it should be contingent of influencial gophers. if mase had a ton to do with the stadium actually being here, then by all means invite him. i don't think the gopher fans of the 90's were that hardcore they would actually booo the guy, not like they had huge expectations he didn't live up to. only difference is now Brew actually has aspirations of more, so now people are starting to follow that thinking.

Right we had no great teams after he left. We only won 3 more Championship.

I have an idea. For our Big10 opener against WI we could have a member from one of your National Championship Football Teams flip the coin. Oh never mind, I forgot the Badgers wouldn't have anyone!

Actually all 6 of our national championships were won after Nagurski graduated. He graduated around 1929 and our first championship was 1934.

I'd give my vote to a guy who devoted 50 years of his professional life to Gopher football:

Ray Christianson

If Mason was part of the coin flip...would he get booed, and how badly?

I sure as hell wouldn't boo him. For all his faults he did take the Gophers from the depths of the Big Ten cellar back to mediocrity. Fans can complain (and should complain) about going to a bad bowl game every year but it's better than not going to a bowl game. Mason raised the expectations of the program but plateaued and couldn't take the team to the next level that he had teased at.

I'd give my vote to a guy who devoted 50 years of his professional life to Gopher football:

Ray Christianson

dude, now you're talkin...and then have him call the game. Let the current radio crew watch/listen and learn.

Go Gophers!!

Agreed on Ray C.

And no, I don't think Mase would get boo'd.

# 44 Bob McNamara a steadfast Golden Gopher would be my pick.

As amazing as it would be to have some Minnesota football legend do the coin flip, I think it will be someone a bit more neutral. Coin flips in my mind should be done by a neutral figure. I bet it will be some Air Force officer who is from Minnesota (maybe from The U's air force ROTC program). Plus I always think it's nice to have these moments to link us back to the memorial nature of Memorial Stadium.

Put Ray in the booth for the first game if he able to do it. Heck name the entire pressbox or press level after him. Something needs to say "The Ray Christenson Press(fill in the blank)" Kinda like the Al Shaver Pressbox at the Xcel Center. I think Murray would be a great choice to do the flip itself. But my guess would be they will have all sorts of Gopher legends on hand for the first game.

MrGopher just to point a little bit of irony in your post but we are playing Air Force in the first game. But I know what you are saying.

MrGopher just to point a little bit of irony in your post but we are playing Air Force in the first game. But I know what you are saying.

Yup, I know. :) Thats why I suggested the air force officer.

Top Bottom